Paleo - Pros/Cons

Options

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Tell that to Art Devaney who has been at this for over 30 years

Getting nutritional advice from an economist makes about as much sense as having your dietician manage your financial portfolio.

How about all the people on MFP giving nutritional advice? I don't think each and every knowledgeable person here is a nutritionist.

Thus you should look at each point based on its merits. If you intend appeal to authority, that person should actually have some sort of background in the subject at hand.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Getting nutritional advice from an economist makes about as much sense as having your dietician manage your financial portfolio.

He obviously knows what he is talking about. It doesn't take a degree in nutrition to know what works and doesn't work. It is common sense that whole foods far out weigh than processed fake food. Most people are seriously lacking in common sense, that is how the excuse of "in moderation" came about.

I am off to enjoy my raw, seasoned hamburger patty, salad and watermelon.

I hope my husband and I look half as good at his age:

art%20068.jpg
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    To the person I put on ignore

LOL.

You really have issues with definitions.

No, i put you on ignore and then took it off to respond to your nonsense.

You should go attack the vegans and vegetarians for a while and leave us alone.

Seriously, go somewhere else.

As soon as you stop spouting bull****, I'll stop pointing it out.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think anything in life that does not let you enjoy "a little bit of everything" can't be all that great for you. I don't see how anything so restrictive can help in the long run. Keep word: moderation

I personally don't find this way of eating restrictive in the least. I get to eat FULL fat foods, don't count calories and enjoy the earthy tasting natural vegetables, fruits and grass fed meats, etc.

Low fat, high carb calorie counting is restrictive because most people complain continuously about being hungry. That is no way to live.

So while I enjoy a big juicy rare ribeye, salad with full fat caesar dressing and some berries and fresh whipped cream.......You can continue eating your 35 calorie bread with your dried out bland boneless, skinless chicken breast and 100 calorie snack pack for your snacks and such.

Also moderation = excuse. Plain and simple.

What a load of crap. I count calories and eat full fat foods. If I want bread, I eat real bread, real dressing, real, whole foods. I am not hungry throughout the day and I get to eat whatever the hell I want. It's pretty nice. What makes you think someone who counts calories can't eat the same ribeye, salad and berries with whip cream? You are so silly trying to make it sound like the only way to be fulfilled nutritionally is to eat paleo. Please.

Edit: Why haven't you responded about ceaser dressing and whipped cream not being a paleo thing to eat?
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    no wine? no booze? ... no way!
  • Pinkgirl319
    Pinkgirl319 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I did Paleo for a couple weeks. I liked it for a cleanse but I like South beach for a longer term approach. One of my biggest struggles was the expense. Especially with the organic aspect.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Pro: you feel better. No blood sugar spikes or crashes. Your hair skin and nails improve. You save money on groceries because you buy less. My grocery bill has been cut in half. Your hormonal imbalances will imporve. You won't need to nap. You will lose weight without counting every calorie that you consume. Not because calories don't matter, but its very hard to over eat when eating whole natural nutritionally dense foods. Your outlook on foods will change and so will your taste buds.

Cons. You have to plan a bit in advance because these meals take prep time. You sound like a food snob when you are gathering socially because you are so used to fresh whole foods. People will pass judgement obviously.

I will never understand how a diet that focuses on whole natural local foods gets such a controversial response. How is that considered restrictive? I mean it just seems like common sense to me to eat more nutritional foods than grains which are usually the vehicle for good tasting nutritious foods. I guess people get Hung up on the name? And that's what leads to the not picking. But the whole idea of paleo refers to the fact that for the majority of our human history grains were not a staple of our diet. But I guess people just love to not pick something they don't understand. But to each his own and good luck on your diet!

How is it NOT restrictive? Aside from restricting you from grains and dairy, it also has to meet 3 more criteria:
    1) whole
    2) natural
    3) local

Your food has to pass a five-step litmus test before it can be eaten. Yes, that is restrictive. I don't think that means what you think that means...
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

He obviously knows what he is talking about.

ORLY?

He regularly makes **** up based on his own assumptions:
    "[N]o caveman ever jogged for miles while pursuing dinner or being chased by a predator," writes De Vany. "You either or sprinted or starved, or were dinner yourself."

But that's not true, says human evolutionary biologist Daniel Lieberman, who runs a skeletal biology research lab at Harvard University. In fact, it's "demonstrably wrong," he insists. The human talent for long-distance running is unique among primates, and it's one we came by out of necessity. Some two million years ago, we began to develop a suite of adaptations, key among them sweating, that allowed for sustained exertion and were fully in place by Paleolithic times.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2044343,00.html#ixzz1wquP7lSk
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    What a load of crap. I count calories and eat full fat foods. If I want bread, I eat real bread, real dressing, real, whole foods. I am not hungry throughout the day and I get to eat whatever the hell I want. It's pretty nice. What makes you think someone who counts calories can't eat the same ribeye, salad and berries with whip cream? You are so silly trying to make it sound like the only way to be fulfilled nutritionally is to eat paleo. Please.

I think that the point was that any 'diet' is restrictive in some sense. If you count calories and you've reached your daily max, you need to 'restrict' yourself from eating more.

While eating Paleo, I don't need to restrict the amount of food I eat as much, but need to restrict the types of foods - counting calories, you don't need to restrict the types of foods as much, but need to restrict the quantity.

It's just a different type of restriction. Person A says they'd rather be able to eat until they're hungry, even if they're limited to what they can eat - Person B says they'd rather be able to eat anything they want, even if they have to stop eating despite being hungry every once in a while.

It just comes down to personal preference.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What is your point? Yes people have misconceptions about the diet, yes people think its restrictive, and yes people get Hung up on the name. And? Your point?

The point is that the OP asked about pros and cons. Dietary restrictions are cons and since we're discussing the paleo diet it makes sense to list the cons, since that's part of what the OP asked about.
    Every diet has restrictions. Even calories in out...you still have to eat less. So how is paleo any more restrictive?

One restriction of the paleo diet is that you are eliminating food items without considering whether or not the individual needs to eliminate those food items. Arbitrary elimination is a restriction.
    How on earth is that more restrictive than counting and measuring and weighing all my calories???

Regardless of whether or not you are counting calories, you still need to eat the appropriate amount of food and paleo is not special in this regard.

I most certainly did post the pros and cons. Then those were nit picked by you and someone else. So you should go back and read what I wrote if you care. And its not arbitrarily eliminating a Food group. There is tons of reseach out there so Google it. And again, you have proved my point that paleo is no more restrictive than a plain old diet of counting calories. So whats the problem again?

I have done plenty of research. If you believe you have sufficient research to back the idea of grain and dairy and legume elimination then I'd be more than happy to read it. So far I've seen nothing conclusive aside from hypothesis that aren't well grounded.

Just because I do not agree with your ideas does not mean I have not done research on this.

Your point has not been proven. I count calories and I do not eliminate food items. Your diet is more restrictive than mine.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

ORLY?

He regularly makes **** up based on his own assumptions:
    "[N]o caveman ever jogged for miles while pursuing dinner or being chased by a predator," writes De Vany. "You either or sprinted or starved, or were dinner yourself."

But that's not true, says human evolutionary biologist Daniel Lieberman, who runs a skeletal biology research lab at Harvard University. In fact, it's "demonstrably wrong," he insists. The human talent for long-distance running is unique among primates, and it's one we came by out of necessity. Some two million years ago, we began to develop a suite of adaptations, key among them sweating, that allowed for sustained exertion and were fully in place by Paleolithic times.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2044343,00.html#ixzz1wquP7lSk
    Give it up Ron, you cannot provide evidence to a cult member, let alone reason with them. Evidence does not matter when you are a believer. Just look at her screen-name - she is following the one true path to salvation.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    g1333671681214842792.jpg
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Can a Vegan marry a Paleoean?
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Give it up Ron, you cannot provide evidence to a cult member, let alone reason with them. Evidence does not matter when you are a believer. Just look at her screen-name - she is following the one true path to salvation.

Point taken

quote,house,philosophy,religion,dr,,house,quotes-2e195825ebc08efcabbbe39f0df3876f_h.jpg
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm a week in and have lost 5.2 lbs and feel great. It's only been a week soooo......
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

They could, but their kids would starve to death because they wouldn't be allowed to eat anything.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Grains on their own don't even taste good. its pretty much just filler food. If you don't need any fillers, how is that a con? Oatmeal for example, who actually enjoys a bowl of plain oatmeal? I personally stopped eating oatmeal simply because its gross without some type of sugar.

Me. Hell, I'll even grab a handful of oats and eat them raw.

You must definitely be in the minority then. I don't know many people who could toss some dry oats in their mouth and start munching away.

In the form of granola though....

Mmmmmmm.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options

They could, but their kids would starve to death because they wouldn't be allowed to eat anything.

LMAO!!!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Grains on their own don't even taste good. its pretty much just filler food. If you don't need any fillers, how is that a con? Oatmeal for example, who actually enjoys a bowl of plain oatmeal? I personally stopped eating oatmeal simply because its gross without some type of sugar.

Me. Hell, I'll even grab a handful of oats and eat them raw.

You must definitely be in the minority then. I don't know many people who could toss some dry oats in their mouth and start munching away.

In the form of granola though....

Mmmmmmm.

Then it's not plain oats. It's oats with honey, oils, whatever else you do to make granola stick together.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options

LMAO!!!

wait... not even CANDY! THe horror!