Paleo - Pros/Cons

Options

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    So that's what you do right? You just get drunk every day to get ripped? Okay

I guess that explains all your comments here then

You seem to be taking this discussion personally.

Yeah its that time of the month, unfortunately.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

You seem to be taking this discussion personally.

Yeah its that time of the month, unfortunately.
    Fair enough =)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    what do you get out of nitpicking here?

THAT was nitpicking? Seriously?

I think so. Obviously people who follow paleo/primal diet are not being encouraged to go out and drink so its clear its a derailment from the plan. Alcohol is a slight derailment from any eating plan pretty much. What's the point of getting on his case about drinking alcohol then? It's not like he's going "Oh we drink paleo tequila to fulfill our tequila macro and jump higher!" So who cares?

People that want information about the Paleo diet probably care.

Okay, so focus on the actual diet. Alcohol isn't a necessary macro in any diet so it'll always be something to have in small moderate amounts no matter what plan a person is following. No, alcohol isn't part of a paleo diet the only reason people on a paleo plan choose to drink it is the same reason why someone on any other plan would choose to drink it. No ones having alcohol for any satiety or dietary fulfillment purposes, its for their own pleasure.

Alcohol speeds up getting into ketosis...

Ya got me, but remember who made the ignorant comment first
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    what do you get out of nitpicking here?

THAT was nitpicking? Seriously?

I think so. Obviously people who follow paleo/primal diet are not being encouraged to go out and drink so its clear its a derailment from the plan. Alcohol is a slight derailment from any eating plan pretty much. What's the point of getting on his case about drinking alcohol then? It's not like he's going "Oh we drink paleo tequila to fulfill our tequila macro and jump higher!" So who cares?

People that want information about the Paleo diet probably care.

Okay, so focus on the actual diet. Alcohol isn't a necessary macro in any diet so it'll always be something to have in small moderate amounts no matter what plan a person is following. No, alcohol isn't part of a paleo diet the only reason people on a paleo plan choose to drink it is the same reason why someone on any other plan would choose to drink it. No ones having alcohol for any satiety or dietary fulfillment purposes, its for their own pleasure.
    Regardless of the motivation for alcohol consumption, it can have benefits.
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Regardless of the motivation for alcohol consumption, it can have benefits.
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

I do agree with moderate drinking having benefits. I'm not really for or against it in any diet, its more of a personal choice thing I think. I wouldn't tell a drinker to stop drinking nor would I tell a non drinker to start. Very interesting read though.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Pro: you feel better. No blood sugar spikes or crashes. Your hair skin and nails improve. You save money on groceries because you buy less. My grocery bill has been cut in half. Your hormonal imbalances will imporve. You won't need to nap. You will lose weight without counting every calorie that you consume. Not because calories don't matter, but its very hard to over eat when eating whole natural nutritionally dense foods. Your outlook on foods will change and so will your taste buds.

Cons. You have to plan a bit in advance because these meals take prep time. You sound like a food snob when you are gathering socially because you are so used to fresh whole foods. People will pass judgement obviously.

I will never understand how a diet that focuses on whole natural local foods gets such a controversial response. How is that considered restrictive? I mean it just seems like common sense to me to eat more nutritional foods than grains which are usually the vehicle for good tasting nutritious foods. I guess people get Hung up on the name? And that's what leads to the not picking. But the whole idea of paleo refers to the fact that for the majority of our human history grains were not a staple of our diet. But I guess people just love to not pick something they don't understand. But to each his own and good luck on your diet!
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice - for me, going Primal (very similar to Paleo) was the best decision I've ever made, and there are no cons. I've lost an entire adult person's worth of weight, and I'm no longer a food addict now that I don't eat grains and sugar. I eat delicious, real, whole foods, and I don't feel at all deprived - quite the opposite actually - I feel free and peaceful and full of joy.

Try it for 30 days - perfectly committed, so your body has a chance to detox off the grains and sugar, and see how you feel. Then you'll know if it's right for you.

Feel free to message me with any questions - I'm happy to help.

:)
    Amy
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    There really is no cons. You eat whole foods but not dairy or grains.

No Dairy or grains sound like two pretty big cons to me.

Well the OP can't have dairy. Personally, I don't like the idea of removing all grains anymore. Maybe OP can keep the grains in.
    When I said no cons I meant in terms of health. Can get all the vitamins and minerals without the dairy and grains. I think low carbers can have certain vitamin and minerals lacking in their diet

Grains on their own don't even taste good. its pretty much just filler food. If you don't need any fillers, how is that a con? Oatmeal for example, who actually enjoys a bowl of plain oatmeal? I personally stopped eating oatmeal simply because its gross without some type of sugar.

Bread and pasta taste pretty ****ing good.

Actually they're prety ****ing bland unless you put something delicious on them. Bread/pasta/etc is just a transportation device for more awesome things.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    But I guess people just love to not pick something they don't understand. But to each his own and good luck on your diet!

I understand it just fine, thanks. Still not for me.
  • cheesy_blasters
    Options
    It's a personal choice - for me, going Primal (very similar to Paleo) was the best decision I've ever made, and there are no cons. I've lost an entire adult person's worth of weight, and I'm no longer a food addict now that I don't eat grains and sugar. I eat delicious, real, whole foods, and I don't feel at all deprived - quite the opposite actually - I feel free and peaceful and full of joy.

Try it for 30 days - perfectly committed, so your body has a chance to detox off the grains and sugar, and see how you feel. Then you'll know if it's right for you.

Amy

What is the difference between Primal and Paleo, if you don't mind me asking?
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Pros:

Effortless weight loss

:laugh:

Gotta love the snake oil drinkers on these forums...if you believe ANYTHING, be it Paleo or anything else, will give you "effortless weight loss", I have a couple bridges and some swamp land to sell you.
  • victoria4321
    Options

Amy

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I will never understand how a diet that focuses on whole natural local foods gets such a controversial response. How is that considered restrictive?

Did you even bother reading any of the responses?
    Arbitrary inclusion/exclusion is silly.
    I find the premise nonsensical and unscientific (there have been some great paper written on paleo/neolothic diets, and 99.9% of them look NOTHING like the "paleo" diet). Also the stuff about arbitrary foods being inflammatory is completely fabricated, and easy enough to verify scientifically (see the MRT--mediator release test).
    Because of the arbitrary demonization of perfectly healthy food (assuming no specific intolerance), and the cult-like beliefs of its followers.
    Because the premise is silly. The diet itself is not unhealthy and a lot of people probably do very well on it, but to say that you should eat a certain way because the cavemen did is ridiculous; anything we think we know about how cavemen ate or what they did is best guesses and conjecture.
    Why give up foods like brown rice, beans etc. that are wholesome and allow a variation in eating that makes meal planning easier.
  • weathergirl320
    Options

Amy

So basically you don't understand.....thanks for proving my point.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Pros:

Effortless weight loss

:laugh:

Gotta love the snake oil drinkers on these forums...if you believe ANYTHING, be it Paleo or anything else, will give you "effortless weight loss", I have a couple bridges and some swamp land to sell you.

I found cooking my own meals gave me effortless weight loss. How much are you selling those bridges for?
  • cheesy_blasters
    Options

Amy

Grow up. I am familiar with Paleo. I have never followed a Primal diet so I have never read about it in depth. Knowing about one thing isn't dependant on being familiar with the other. Considering people know like to create specialty diets for just about every deviation, expecting to be familiar with them all is ridiculous. I have read books about Paleo, followed blogs and followed the diet. How would I not understand it?
  • victoria4321
    Options
    I guess clearly the biggest con is that a Paleo/Primal discussion can cause agita
  • _Amy_Budd
    Options

Amy

Grow up. I am familiar with Paleo. I have never followed a Primal diet so I have never read about it in depth. Knowing about one thing isn't dependant on being familiar with the other. Considering people know like to create specialty diets for just about every deviation, expecting to be familiar with them all is ridiculous. I have read books about Paleo, followed blogs and followed the diet. How would I not understand it?

Ignore the rude comments, cheesy_blasters. :)
  • _Amy_Budd
    Options
    I guess clearly the biggest con is that a Paleo/Primal discussion can cause agita

Ha! Love it! :)