Paleo - Pros/Cons

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I did paleo for a bout a month. It made me feel amazing and really helped with weight loss, and inflammation, and bloating, and headaches etc. The only con I found was that it was really hard to maintain. For someone who eats most of their meals at home, this wouldn't be a problem. It just didn't work for me, as I leave 8 hours before lunch and had no way of keeping any food cold or being able to heat anything up. Overall though, I think it's awesome, I just wish it were a bit more convenient. And eating out at a restaurant is a huge challenge!

true...at first it is inconvenient...but restaurants are really easy...meat and veggies....MarksDailyApple has some ideas on the inconvenience factors...he does get over the top sometimes but overall its a good source
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I did paleo for a bout a month. It made me feel amazing and really helped with weight loss, and inflammation, and bloating, and headaches etc. The only con I found was that it was really hard to maintain. For someone who eats most of their meals at home, this wouldn't be a problem. It just didn't work for me, as I leave 8 hours before lunch and had no way of keeping any food cold or being able to heat anything up. Overall though, I think it's awesome, I just wish it were a bit more convenient. And eating out at a restaurant is a huge challenge!

Eating out is easy............

Steaks or seafood and steamed vegetables. Easy peasy.

Seafood? Hopefully only the kind that you can reach down and grab. Anything too deep or fast isn't paleo eating.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

true...at first it is inconvenient...but restaurants are really easy...meat and veggies....MarksDailyApple has some ideas on the inconvenience factors...he does get over the top sometimes but overall its a good source if you want your head filled with nonsense and fantasy

Fixed
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Cons?
    no rice,
    no quinoa
    no spelt
    no legumes (beans) (in most definitions of paleo)

no wine....
    no booze....

People on Paleo drink wine and tequila.

Cavemen had tequila?

I love the arbitrary inclusion/exclusion. Milk and grain is evil cuz paleomon didn't have it, but distilled spirits are OK (even though distilled alcohol has been around for less than 1000 years).

It is not about what "caveman" had. This is a template for healthy living.

Tequila is made from agave and wine is made from fruit - allowed due to not being grain based like most liquors and beers.

It's distilled alcohol. Why do you think there's a whit of difference?

In what fantasyland is anything remotely related to grain/dairy/etc. poison, but 80 proof alcohol is A-OK?

Hilarious.

There is fermented tequila too. Not all is distilled.

Stop making things up.

Tequila is, by definition, a distilled spirit. There may be fermented agave (beer?wine?), but it ain't tequila.

That's like calling beer "undistilled whiskey".
  • NanoBear
    NanoBear Posts: 67
    Options
    Cons? There are only 2 peoples in known history that existed on what we call the paleo diet. The traditional Australian Aborigines are one, and unfortunately the other escapes my memory right now, but I think it was an obscure tribe in Africa. Neither have a physique I would particularly want to imitate. (note: there are very few if any Australian Aborigines still existing on their traditional diet)

On the pros side, it can be good for a time to lose weight or to achieve a specific goal.

If you can no longer have dairy, I see no reason to cut out all the other things that get excluded in a paleo diet. There are plenty of dairy alternatives that you can include in your diet without having the added difficulty of going completely paleo.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    grapes, barley, oats, hops...They all existed back then, right?

Barley and oats are those evil grain things that paleo doesn't allow. They might have had wild grape wine though, like the other poster said.
  • carld256
    Options
    I'm not a Paleo supporter or apologist, however, that is actually incorrect. Winemaking occurred--and arguably originated--during the Paleolithic era, as people drank naturally fermented wild grapes in pouches made of animal skin.

That's possible, but after some googling I couldn't find anything that pushed wine making back any further than the Neolithic. There are lots of claims on wine magazine sites and such that wine making dates back to the paleolithic, but my quick search didn't turn up any proof. Maybe my Google-fu is just weak.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Cons?
    no rice,
    no quinoa
    no spelt

no wine....
    no booze....

Cavemen had tequila?

I love the arbitrary inclusion/exclusion. Milk and grain is evil cuz paleomon didn't have it, but distilled spirits are OK (even though distilled alcohol has been around for less than 1000 years).

Tequila is made from agave and wine is made from fruit - allowed due to not being grain based like most liquors and beers.

In what fantasyland is anything remotely related to grain/dairy/etc. poison, but 80 proof alcohol is A-OK?

Hilarious.

Stop making things up.

Tequila is, by definition, a distilled spirit. There may be fermented agave (beer?wine?), but it ain't tequila.

You are officially on ignore because you are just silly and not worth my time.

Go look it up.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Paleo supporter or apologist, however, that is actually incorrect. Winemaking occurred--and arguably originated--during the Paleolithic era, as people drank naturally fermented wild grapes in pouches made of animal skin.

That's possible, but after some googling I couldn't find anything that pushed wine making back any further than the Neolithic. There are lots of claims on wine magazine sites and such that wine making dates back to the paleolithic, but my quick search didn't turn up any proof. Maybe my Google-fu is just weak.

From National Geographic: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0721_040721_ancientwine.html
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Cons?
    no rice,
    no quinoa
    no spelt

no wine....
    no booze....

Cavemen had tequila?

Hilarious.

Stop making things up.

Go look it up.

I have.

Words have meanings. I challenge you to show a link to tequila that isn't distilled.

(Not that it would make the arbitrary inclusion any less silly).
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Why are the anti-paleo people so against it, I'm curious? No ones saying you have to eat this way too.

To OP, I say eat whichever way you want. No need to call it anything to try and fit into some specific diet plan. If you don't want to eat eat grains and dairy, just don't eat it. You'll find pros in any unprocessed whole foods diet you follow.
  • carld256
    Options

Yes, I read that, but other than an unsupported supposition in the opening paragraph the article places the origin of wine making in the agricultural Neolithic not the hunter-gatherer Paleolithic.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have tried living Paleo and I found it too restrictive for me personally, however I don't think there is anything wrong with it if it suits you. That being said, please be wary of claims that it provides "effortless weightloss", it does not. You can just as easily overeat paleo foods, it doesn't somehow magically override the basic rules of cals in vs cals out. HTH
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Why are the anti-paleo people so against it, I'm curious? No ones saying you have to eat this way too.

Because of the arbitrary demonization of perfectly healthy food (assuming no specific intolerance), and the cult-like beliefs of its followers.

You would be hard pressed to find any of us telling someone who likes eating this way to stop. But when they start making false claims about the hazards of the "evil" foods, we speak up.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    There really is no cons. You eat whole foods but not dairy or grains.

No Dairy or grains sound like two pretty big cons to me.

You sound like a pretty big con.
  • victoria4321
    Options

I have.

Words have meanings. I challenge you to show a link to tequila that isn't distilled.

(Not that it would make the arbitrary inclusion any less silly).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulque

Probably the closest thing, but not tequila by definition. Tequila is defined as being distilled or its not tequila. Either way, there are some grey areas in the paleo diet as even followers of it don't agree on every single point. It's meant to model what cavemen probably ate but not be based on it exactly since that's not even possible today. Some people allow alcohol in moderate amounts and some don't. I honestly don't see why it matters though. No one is drinking alcohol as a health food.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

To OP, I say eat whichever way you want. No need to call it anything to try and fit into some specific diet plan. If you don't want to eat eat grains and dairy, just don't eat it. You'll find pros in any unprocessed whole foods diet you follow.

Because the premise is silly. The diet itself is not unhealthy and a lot of people probably do very well on it, but to say that you should eat a certain way because the cavemen did is ridiculous; anything we think we know about how cavemen ate or what they did is best guesses and conjecture.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    There really is no cons. You eat whole foods but not dairy or grains.

No Dairy or grains sound like two pretty big cons to me.

You sound like a pretty big con.

Did you write that? It's almost as clever as "I'm rubber and you're glue".
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Cons?
    no rice,
    no quinoa
    no spelt

no wine....
    no booze....

Cavemen had tequila?

Hilarious.

Stop making things up.

Go look it up.

Official Mexican Standard for Tequila
    NOM-006-SCFI-2005
    Alcoholic Beverages – Tequila – Specifications

4.34 Tequila
    The regional alcoholic beverage obtained by distilling musts, prepared directly and originally from extracted material, in the manufacturing facilities of an Authorized Producer, which must be located in the territory specified in the Declaration, derived from the hearts of tequilana weber blue variety Agave, previously or subsequently hydrolyzed or cooked, and subjected to alcoholic fermentation with cultivated or uncultivated yeasts, wherein said musts may be enhanced and blended together before fermentation with other sugars up to a proportion no greater than 49% of total reducing sugars expressed in units of mass, pursuant to this Official Mexican Standard, and with the understanding that cold mixing is not permitted. Tequila is a liquid that, according to its type, is colorless or colored when aged in oak or Encino oak (holm or holm oak) wood containers, or when mellowed without aging.

Tequila may be enhanced by the addition of sweeteners, coloring, aromatizers and/or flavorings permitted by the Ministry of Health in order to provide or intensify its color, aroma and/or flavor.

Reference to the term “Tequila” in this NOM is understood to apply to the two categories indicated in Chapter 5, except for express references to “100% agave” Tequila.

http://www.tequila.net/faqs/tequila/what-are-the-regulations-governing-tequila.html#chapter4
  • victoria4321
    Options

Because of the arbitrary demonization of perfectly healthy food (assuming no specific intolerance), and the cult-like beliefs of its followers.

You would be hard pressed to find any of us telling someone who likes eating this way to stop. But when they start making false claims about the hazards of the "evil" foods, we speak up.

No different than what vegetarians and vegans do I suppose. I'd just ignore it if it doesn't apply to you.