Paleo - Pros/Cons

Options

Replies

• jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    So this intro from Wikipedia is wrong?

The paleolithic diet (abbreviated paleo diet or paleodiet), also popularly referred to as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a modern nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various hominid species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era —a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual ancestral human diet.

I have no idea if this info is right or wrong. Nor do I have an opinion on the Paleo diet in general. I would like to point out, however, that Wikipedia is NOT in any way even remotely guaranteed to be accurate. I can go on there and change any info I want, if I believe it is incorrect, or am simply feeling like messing w/ people. It is user contributed info. Not a real encyclopedia.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    So this intro from Wikipedia is wrong?

The paleolithic diet (abbreviated paleo diet or paleodiet), also popularly referred to as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a modern nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various hominid species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era —a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture. In common usage, such terms as the "Paleolithic diet" also refer to the actual ancestral human diet.

I have no idea if this info is right or wrong. Nor do I have an opinion on the Paleo diet in general. I would like to point out, however, that Wikipedia is NOT in any way even remotely guaranteed to be accurate. I can go on there and change any info I want, if I believe it is incorrect, or am simply feeling like messing w/ people. It is user contributed info. Not a real encyclopedia.
    The next step would be to inform people of your opinion based on further information and your sources....that way you would have a better understanding whether this information is accurate or not.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Biggest con: paleo doesn't focus on improving body composition or altering aesthetics...it is more about health and survival with no specific focus on things like calorie deficits or hitting macros. It's also really easy to get too much fat...even organic meat (not wild) is still fairly high in fat content.

Advice: do not feel the need to follow everything to the T, salt is fine, it's okay if you can't afford high-end organic food, eat plenty of carbohydrates when your body needs them, cavemen would use supplements had they been available, etc.

The most beneficial practice I discovered from primal/paleo was eating organ meat and fermented foods like sauerkraut (probiotic) so I keep these in my regular IIFYM diet. These aren't necessarily paleo foods but have been very commonly consumed during more modern times but have been highly neglected in the past several decades.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There really is no cons. You eat whole foods but not dairy or grains.

No Dairy or grains sound like two pretty big cons to me.

Well the OP can't have dairy. Personally, I don't like the idea of removing all grains anymore. Maybe OP can keep the grains in.
    When I said no cons I meant in terms of health. Can get all the vitamins and minerals without the dairy and grains. I think low carbers can have certain vitamin and minerals lacking in their diet

Grains on their own don't even taste good. its pretty much just filler food. If you don't need any fillers, how is that a con? Oatmeal for example, who actually enjoys a bowl of plain oatmeal? I personally stopped eating oatmeal simply because its gross without some type of sugar.

The OP can remove or keep grains. Removing grains not really a con for me but for compliance I would rather keep in rice and occasional other grains. Definitely don't need them.
    Basmati rice may be filler food but tastes mighty good with a curry!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Well the OP can't have dairy. Personally, I don't like the idea of removing all grains anymore. Maybe OP can keep the grains in.
    When I said no cons I meant in terms of health. Can get all the vitamins and minerals without the dairy and grains. I think low carbers can have certain vitamin and minerals lacking in their diet

Grains on their own don't even taste good. its pretty much just filler food. If you don't need any fillers, how is that a con? Oatmeal for example, who actually enjoys a bowl of plain oatmeal? I personally stopped eating oatmeal simply because its gross without some type of sugar.

Bread and pasta taste pretty ****ing good.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

The OP can remove or keep grains. Removing grains not really a con for me but for compliance I would rather keep in rice and occasional other grains. Definitely don't need them.
    Basmati rice may be filler food but tastes mighty good with a curry!

Most of the Paleo people that I know that are FIT and healthy (no longer healing issues) do eat Basmati rice when their activity levels are high enough to support the added carbs.

White rice is now being considered as a "safe starch" provided the activity level supports the added carbs as I stated above.

Those of us that are dealing with insulin / blood sugar issues and other health related issues generally are not eating rice and potatoes and such.

I did have a grilled sweet potato over the weekend with Amish grass fed butter and cinnamon and did not have a rise in blood sugar at the one hour or 2 hour mark, so my body is in fact becoming more insulin sensitive once again. It has been a long, slow process, but it is well worth it to be off medications and to eat something that normally would have given me a huge rise in blood sugar numbers (which means more insulin being released) and I did not experience that rise this time.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing - Paleo (Primal if you have Dairy) is simply a way fo eating...it is not a "weight-loss" diet - it is not a "low-carb" diet...it is simply a set of "guidelines" to eat within.

Those guidelines are

veggies
    Meat & Fish
    Fruits
    Nuts
    Dairy (if Primal)

What to stay away from
    Grains
    Beans
    processed crap

Yes I will admit there is a subset of very strict paleo type people...however at least the ones that frequent the Paleo/Primal board here are fairly loose and non-judgemental...yes we will point out if something is non-paleo/primal to someone who is new to the lifestyle...not trying to be high and mighty - just letting them know - if they don't want to cut it out of thier eating plan it is up to them.

I know myself I found this way of eating after slowly cutting things out of my diet because of other issues - when it came down to it the foods in my diet pretty much mirror the guidelines of Paleo/Primal so i choose to align myself in that camp - to me it makes it easier to plan meals and find recipes - i.e. these are all the things I can eat and I just make my choices from that...

That being said - I occassionaly have a non paleo/primal food - after all life happens.

Like I said it in not a "weight-loss" diet - you still have to watch your calories in= calories out add in exercise to loose weight...

Same thing with low carb - because you are clearing out grains and processed foods it does cut down on carbs - but you can easily eat a lot of carbs depending on which fruits and veggies and the quanitites of those you choose to eat

I have had a lot of friends ask me about my eating style - I usually give them an e-mail with basic information about websites and books they can read - I tell them to read and make up thier own mind - I do tell them that if they do decide to try it to really give it a try for at least a month and see if it works for them...just trying it for a week or so just doesn't cut it...especially if you are used to eating a lot of processed foods, grains and higher sugar items (i.e. sodas) - that first week can be a killer as your body adjusts and purges crap from your system.

The only Cons I can see is having to really be prepared - to stock up on things and preparing food...since the basic tenet is clean whole foods there is prep work involved. I do have to think about it if I wind up at a fast food place (my go to is Chick Fil A because you can get grilled nuggets and fruit cups....not the best but better than your typical fast food)

Some may complain it is expensive with fresh fruit, veggies and meats - I haven't found this to be so - I do shop what is in season and stock up when there is a good sale (I will do organic if the cost is decent but I don't make it a hard and fast rule of it HAS to be organic or grass fed)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Cons?
    no rice,
    no quinoa
    no spelt
    no legumes (beans) (in most definitions of paleo)

no wine....
    no booze....

People on Paleo drink wine and tequila.
    everything I've read says wine is a no no.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Cons?
    no rice,
    no quinoa
    no spelt

no wine....
    no booze....

Cavemen had tequila?

I love the arbitrary inclusion/exclusion. Milk and grain is evil cuz paleomon didn't have it, but distilled spirits are OK (even though distilled alcohol has been around for less than 1000 years).

It is not about what "caveman" had. This is a template for healthy living.

Tequila is made from agave and wine is made from fruit - allowed due to not being grain based like most liquors and beers.
    Now this just seems silly. And I have no issue with paleo diet. If it allowed for legumes I'd be 99% of the way there now, but "tequila is made from agave" is just rationalizing as far as I'm concerned.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Cons?
    no rice,
    no quinoa
    no spelt

no wine....
    no booze....

everything I've read says wine is a no no.

Which diets recommend alcohol anyway? It's pretty much always a cheat or snack item in any diet so what do you get out of nitpicking here?
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do not eat Paleo or Primal. I try to eat clean MOST of the time.
    Now, for the record, I do not agree with EVERYTHING this organization has to offer, but Weston A. Price holds many of the standards and ideas of Paleo/Primal, but does allow for some grains, if prepared "properly" to reduce phytic acid.

I am not trying to derail this threat AT ALL, but for those who are nervous about being able to avoid ALL grains or dairy, this could provide a "gateway' so to speak, and in between to bridge the gap.

http://www.westonaprice.org/

I am working on getting to all sprouted and properly prepared grains, but the time and expense is prohibitive. It takes a lot of times to make things like pasta yourself, and a lot of expense to buy all sprouted, not to mention availability issues where I live. However, there are some great recipes available on the site and associated blogs if you google Weston A. Price, many of which are actually Paleo/Primal.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    what do you get out of nitpicking here?

THAT was nitpicking? Seriously?
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I already have a lot of problems with wheat and gluten so I thought paleo might be an easy option for me. I can get extremely tired after eating a lot of the time, depending on what I eat. I looked into/briefly tried the paleo diet but wasn't impressed. Maybe if legumes were included I'd be more willing to switch but I find the amount of meat I'd have to eat so gross. I think because I was vegetarian or vegan for most of my life, I don't have the same tolerance for a meat heavy diet. I think if you ate meat for every (or almost every) meal like a lot of people already do, it wouldn't be difficult but before I might have meat a couple times a week, max.

The other big con I found was that (for me) it was more expensive and since I was a student, I didn't have a lot of "extra" money. I tried to buy meat locally so it was really difficult to stay in my grocery budget. Eggs were no problem because I found local one that were awesome but I don't want to have to eat eggs everyday for every meal.

And then, I just found it difficult to justify that lifestyle when my ethical views are more in line with a vegan way of living. I really struggled with that so felt really guilty. I didn't enjoy eating. Whatever you choose, I think you should really love the food you consume, look forward to preparing it, and eating it.

The only things I find really rude about a few people with specialty "diets" (or lifestyles) are drive by comments. When someone asks a question and one or two people just make a short comment promoting their agenda and not actually helping the OP. If you can promote your diet and give them helpful info, awesome.
  • victoria4321
    Options

I think so. Obviously people who follow paleo/primal diet are not being encouraged to go out and drink so its clear its a derailment from the plan. Alcohol is a slight derailment from any eating plan pretty much. What's the point of getting on his case about drinking alcohol then? It's not like he's going "Oh we drink paleo tequila to fulfill our tequila macro and jump higher!" So who cares?
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do not eat Paleo or Primal. I try to eat clean MOST of the time.
    Now, for the record, I do not agree with EVERYTHING this organization has to offer, but Weston A. Price holds many of the standards and ideas of Paleo/Primal, but does allow for some grains, if prepared "properly" to reduce phytic acid.

I am not trying to derail this threat AT ALL, but for those who are nervous about being able to avoid ALL grains or dairy, this could provide a "gateway' so to speak, and in between to bridge the gap.

http://www.westonaprice.org/

I am working on getting to all sprouted and properly prepared grains, but the time and expense is prohibitive. It takes a lot of times to make things like pasta yourself, and a lot of expense to buy all sprouted, not to mention availability issues where I live. However, there are some great recipes available on the site and associated blogs if you google Weston A. Price, many of which are actually Paleo/Primal.

I have tried sprouted grain breads and found it didn't aggravate my wheat/gluten intolerance like other breads. I think it's a great suggestion to find that "middle ground". Thanks for the link!
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I think so. Obviously people who follow paleo/primal diet are not being encouraged to go out and drink so its clear its a derailment from the plan. Alcohol is a slight derailment from any eating plan pretty much. What's the point of getting on his case about drinking alcohol then? It's not like he's going "Oh we drink paleo tequila to fulfill our tequila macro and jump higher!" So who cares?

People that want information about the Paleo diet probably care.
  • victoria4321
    Options

Okay, so focus on the actual diet. Alcohol isn't a necessary macro in any diet so it'll always be something to have in small moderate amounts no matter what plan a person is following. No, alcohol isn't part of a paleo diet the only reason people on a paleo plan choose to drink it is the same reason why someone on any other plan would choose to drink it. No ones having alcohol for any satiety or dietary fulfillment purposes, its for their own pleasure.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Okay, so focus on the actual diet. Alcohol isn't a necessary macro in any diet so it'll always be something to have in small moderate amounts no matter what plan a person is following. No, alcohol isn't part of a paleo diet the only reason people on a paleo plan choose to drink it is the same reason why someone on any other plan would choose to drink it. No ones having alcohol for any satiety or dietary fulfillment purposes, its for their own pleasure.

Alcohol speeds up getting into ketosis...
  • victoria4321
    Options

Alcohol speeds up getting into ketosis...

So that's what you do right? You just get drunk every day to get ripped? Okay

I guess that explains all your comments here then
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    So that's what you do right? You just get drunk every day to get ripped? Okay

I guess that explains all your comments here then

You seem to be taking this discussion personally.