How to cook chicken breast so it doesn't dry out

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Bacon. Wrap it in bacon. Whatever the question is, bacon is the answer.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    The best way that I've found is to season with salt, pepper, garlic, various herbs... sear it first on both sides on high heat, then reduce heat to medium and cook until done, turning only once half-way through cooking. I only use a splash of olive oil in the pan. Also- NEVER cut meat open to check for doneness, you let the juices out. Allow chicken to rest after cooking- FYI it will continue to cook a bit on the inside from residual heat. Too many people are afraid of undercooked chicken, and wind up with a chunk of chicken jerky from over-cooking. I agree with the poster that said to use a meat thermometer if you're not confident in the touch method.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options

That is the truth!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Food thermometer - the deepest part should read around 140 degrees F
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Chicken is 165, minimum.

As for how to make it not dry out? BRINE.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options

This is called barding, which is actually not a bad idea to keep your chicken moist. Chicken breasts have a lot less connective tissue than other parts of the body like the leg and wings. That means that they take less time to break down. Your reason for dried out and tough chicken breasts could be due to the fact that you are cooking them for too long and maybe at too low of heat. Chicken breasts require high heat and quick cooking methods such as sauteing, pan searing, and grilling. I do NOT recommend braising them.

Other ways to keep your chicken moist aside from barding would be to baste. Signs of knowing when your chicken is done: skin is firm/crisp, juices run CLEAR, and the internal temp is 165 F.
  • naaeghan
    naaeghan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    add lemon juice and marinate before grilling...lemon does the trick
  • jessw1823
    jessw1823 Posts: 24
    Options
    Line a deep (maybe a couple inches deep) baking pan with foil, toss in some chicken breasts and pour light italian dressing over them. Cover with foil, bake 20-30 mins on 450 or until there's no pink in the middle.

Ta-DA!

Perfectly juicy, falvorful chicken that you can put in a salad or snack on it by itself. Not too many added cals or anything if you get the right dressing. It's lovely! oh, and cheap!!

That's exactly what I do too! Its soooooooo good! :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I marinate in fat free zesty italian dressing. Put it on a HOT grill....then bring the heat down......Don't overcook it.
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Marinate in EVOO w/minced garlic and oregano. Then spray some Pam Cooking Spray on a sheet of foil, place breasts on top and wrap up and then cook on a grill, i.e. George Foreman grill for approx 10 mins. Comes out very tender and moist.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    eat it raw?
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Chicken is 165, minimum.

As for how to make it not dry out? BRINE.

^THIS

Brine, brine, brine! For about an hour or two. You probably won't need to add any salt.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I sear at medium heat on one side, and then finish in the oven at around 350 for about 10 minutes (depending on if they are thick or not). If I know they will be reheated in their next life, I take the ones that are destined for the fridge out a few minutes early. When reheating in the microwave, I add liquid and turn down the power to 7-8 depending on the power of your microwave.

If you go by touch, once the breast has no more give, then it is over cooked. You want a tiny bit of give. Don't forget, meat cooks as it cools when you remove it from the heat, so you don't want ti to be done when you remove it from the heat, since that leads to over cooking. You want it at 95% done.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    chicken breast and sauerkraut in the crockpot on low. will fall apart by looking at it
  • dizzycoolbabe
    dizzycoolbabe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is generally a lean meat (cut off any visible fat) wrap the breast in kitchen foil - aluminum foil. Cook in the oven - this should keep it moist!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My gym buddy and I were just talking about this today. Since chicken breasts tend to be HUGE these days, we've both started cutting them in to smaller pieces - at least halved but sometimes thirded or quartered depending on the size. This makes for quicker, more even cooking and the meat won't be so overcooked by the time it's done. You can also go the easy route by getting the thinly sliced chicken breast or chicken tenders - they tend to be a bit more expensive as they're convenience foods so watch for sales and stock up.

I'd also recommend using chicken thighs now and then. The skinless/boneless version's not too much different nutritionally than breast meat and it tends to not get so dried out due to the natural fattiness of darker chicken meat.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I usually put a little water in my pan and cover it when I am cooking in a skillet. It keeps the moisture without drying out.

^^this sometimes I add a little bit of chicken broth as well, I season mine with garlic powder & pepper :)
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    Don't overcook. Marinade. Try keeping the skin on. Try grilling. Try making chicken cutlets by frying them in a little oil with some breading... this comes out particularly juicy.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    I cook mine in the oven on 365 degree f covered w/ foil and watch them till they look done (cooking times vary by thickness etc) then I cut into one and check. Put the foil back on and leave them there for about 20 min. Let them sit for a little in the liquid in the pan and they won't be as dry (about 20 min).
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Try seasoning the chicken, placing it onsome tin foil, pour in a little bit of unsalted chicken cooking stock seal up the tinfoil an place in the oven for 25 min at 425. I promise the chicken will NOT be dry or over cooked.