How to cook chicken breast so it doesn't dry out

Options

Replies

• Smilejoelle1
    Smilejoelle1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Poaching in a skillet on top of the stove makes them juicer than ever.

Here's how to do it.

Boil in a pot for about 15 minutes veggies and seasonings that you'd like to make a stock. I use lemon slices, rosemary, carrots, red onion, garlic and what ever I might have on hand.Then put the breast in there and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes. Then turn the pot off, COVER IT. and let sit for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Take the chicken breast out immediately.

Then you can shred or cube the meat for the week, or you can just eat them.
  • lkl21
    lkl21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love to bake chicken breasts with bacon laid over them. Then you get the bacon flavor and it keeps them moist.
  • cryztalk
    cryztalk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm all for the nu-wave oven! I love that thing! It does not sit in the juices of your meat. It drips into the bottom pan. I use it for my bacon and chicken all the time! I sprinkle a little mrs dash on my chicken and cook it there. I've never had a bad piece of meat out of there. I do always use a thermometer to be on the safe side with cooking.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Over cooking or too high heat will make them dry out. Marinate them the night before and cook them in the marinate juices. This works for me and I can't cook well but I'm learning.

Overcooking, not high heat.

My trick to juicy chicken breasts is to pop them in a hot oven (425-450 deg). If frozen, 45 minutes; if thawed, 20-30 minutes. Perfectly cooked every time. The high heat sears the outside and locks the juices in.

Cooking them too long, on the other hand, will dry them out.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    If you over cook it....it will be so dry!!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    If you brush some mayo on them before grilling or baking(fat free of course) :tongue: It holds in the moisture. You dont even taste the mayo.

I use mayo on many meats the oil helps keep them moist while cooking; chicken, pork chops and even fish (especially salmon, it helps eliminate the murky/fishy taste)
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I usually eat chicken when we have a roast dinner , the chicken never dries out when the skin is over it , just take skin off before eating , but I also cook my chicken in a halogen oven , the meat always seems moister in that.
  • bigpenguin570
    bigpenguin570 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been doing mine in the oven. layer cooking sheet with foil, spray non-stick on foil, lay chicken down & season. Cook at 350 oven, check in 20-25 min. The easiest and best way to check for "doneness" is to use meat thermometer. Chicken comes out juicy everytime!
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Food thermometer - the deepest part should read around 140 degrees F

^^^^ this is the only way to go, moist and tender every time.

Update: Just checked this out on Alton Brown's website. It should be 165, regardless, use a thermometer.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I usually put a little water in my pan and cover it when I am cooking in a skillet. It keeps the moisture without drying out.

This.
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just cook it until the middle is no longer pink. If you cook it any more than that, it will be dry.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    My mom always used to cook chicken this way when she was tired after work and didn't want to mess with it.

Chicken breasts in a shallow casserole dish
    Pour any sauce over it (cream of ______, salsa, barbecue sauce, or whatever you like)
    Cover with saran wrap (so its air tight) and stick in the microwave for 10-15 min depending on how much chicken you have.
    ~ 5 min per breast is what I usually go by, but cut breasts in half to make sure they're not pink in the middle

Warning: don't burn yourself when you pull off the plastic wrap, the steam is super hot and I have burned myself many times =P

Cook a little rice on the side and viola, DINNER!
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I don't eat meat but cook it all the time. I am all about braising.

Brown the chicken on med. high and then put it in a pot of liquid to cover 3/4 of it and cook with the lid closed.

The chicken will literally fall to pieces if you aren't careful when taking it out.

The only thing to be mindful of is you are using oil to brown and the "liquid" can be unhealthy if not careful. But you can use water as well.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Salt them for about 15 minutes before throwing them on a gril. Sear at high temperatures for a few minutes on each side then cook indirectly.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Pound then to an even thickness, marinate them, and don't over cook them.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Food thermometer - the deepest part should read around 140 degrees F

^^^^ this exactly!! Everything else is a bandaid!
  • pursuerofjoy
    pursuerofjoy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the crock pot with a little chicken broth. Add some Braggs Liquid Amino Acids and Organic No Salt Seasoning from Costco. The trick to not letting it dry out is ... i put my crockpot on WARM instead of cook and I slowly cook it on Warm all night. In the morning they are soft and tender and wonderful. Melt in your mouth yummy!
    Enjoy.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,180 Member
    Options
    Seal up the chicken breast in canola sprayed aluminum foil. Bake in a 300 degree oven for about 40 minutes. When you take it out and open the foil, it's juicy and delicious........
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I use chicken thighs! Much better flavour!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen boneless, skinnless chicken breast.. cook it straight from the freezer .. always stays juicy . but I don't over cook it either
    but marinade works too .. some one mentioned italian dressing, thats what we used when I worked for a pizza shop as a teen