HELP! Ticket Due date is before Arraignment-Traffic Ticket

Options
MadeOfMagic
MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
Hey guys,
So I am driving myself insane, I can't find any help online and all the Court phone lines are automated so I can't even talk to a "live" person.
So my bf got skateboarding traffic ticket and is trying to fight it because he actually didn't do anything wrong. His ticket due date is 7/2, I went online and scheduled an arraignment date for him but only closest date available was 7/18. After I scheduled the appt, I tried to go and see the ticket amount by going to "Pay Ticket" option, but there was no payment options nor the amount there.

So my questions are:
1. Will he get in trouble if the arraignment date is after the due date on the ticket?
2. Does he have to pay the ticket before 7/2 or after the arraignment/court appearance?

Thank you for all your help!!! :)

Replies

• MadeOfMagic
    Options
    Anyone?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

you need to give people more then 7 minutes to answer.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Youd probably be better off just going up there or searching for a better phone number.

What did he do?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    This probably varies a lot based on where it is that you live.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Every county and court system is different and has a different method of handling payments, tickets, and court dates. You need to speak to someone either on the phone or in person.
  • hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    In North Carolina you would have to see the District Attorney before the court date....but every state is different
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to physically show up at th court window and get help. Document that you were there.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this helps... but some automated systems can be bypassed by continually hitting "0" or saying "operator". I do that if I really need to talk to a person, not a recording.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Youd probably be better off just going up there or searching for a better phone number.

What did he do?

Skateboarded.
    lol.
    :laugh:
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he really didn't do anything wrong.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I believe if you don't show up for your arraignment, you will be found guilty by default.

Edit: Um.. is he the one who cut my ankles off in the "no skateboarding" zone?
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Most laws state that a 50$ collateral is to be sent then at the trial you can plead your case. check the back of the ticket and read the fine print. I agree with Steph on going to the court and having them document that you did not know what to do and came in for help. At least it will show that you tried. Ignorance is no excuse in a trial and a judge will not care.

Been there before......
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    In Texas at least, you just have to contact the court on our before the date that is listed on your citation. On a few of my traffic violations I have called and told them I was mailing my payment in(guilty as can be) and they would update that I had contacted them...I wouldn't pay until months later.

If he wants to fight it, then he can either show up on the date that is listed on his citation or continue to call the courthouse to let them know of the date you picked.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, do not go to the courthouse and ask them. Stick to the advice offered my random strangers in a fitness site's forum.
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options

What did he do?

We still don't know what he did. He kept asking the police officer but she would not give him an answer. My bf has gotten tickets before and we've paid them but this last time was absurd, the officer didn't even see him, he was coming up from behind at normal speed so he didn't do anything wrong but the officer wrote him ticket with no explanation. He kept asking and officer asked if he would like to have another police officer speak and he said yes. Than 3 more cops showed up and he still has gotten no answer...
    He wrote down the whole list of events down, it's quite rediculous, my bf was very polite and was just asking what he did wrong and they acted like complete *kitten* and he still doesn't know...because he didn't do anything wrong. Believe my bf had couple tickets and he would not fight it unless it was unjust :(
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    Your best bet is to physically show up at th court window and get help. Document that you were there.

Great advice, this was my second option, I was just trying to see if online could help... neither my bf nor I have a car and we both work, so it's hard to get to the courthouse before they close/open, but oh well, I guess we'll have to find a way :P
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    Thank you for your answers everyone!
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options

What did he do?

We still don't know what he did. He kept asking the police officer but she would not give him an answer. My bf has gotten tickets before and we've paid them but this last time was absurd, the officer didn't even see him, he was coming up from behind at normal speed so he didn't do anything wrong but the officer wrote him ticket with no explanation. He kept asking and officer asked if he would like to have another police officer speak and he said yes. Than 3 more cops showed up and he still has gotten no answer...
    He wrote down the whole list of events down, it's quite rediculous, my bf was very polite and was just asking what he did wrong and they acted like complete *kitten* and he still doesn't know...because he didn't do anything wrong. Believe my bf had couple tickets and he would not fight it unless it was unjust :(

The actual "reason" has to be on the ticket. It could have been as simple as he didn't throw his arm up to "signal" a left turn. Get a lawyer. Go to the court house. Every state and every county is different.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    legal advice on a health forum FTW.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

Great advice, this was my second option, I was just trying to see if online could help... neither my bf nor I have a car and we both work, so it's hard to get to the courthouse before they close/open, but oh well, I guess we'll have to find a way :P

Just so you know, its better if he goes to find out then you. The reason being they may no be as willing to help you since you are not legally attached to him in anyway. Not sure if its an issue, but I've had one or two times dealing with things (and I'm married to mine) and had to have Power of Attorneys and all sorts of crap.