HELP! Ticket Due date is before Arraignment-Traffic Ticket

Options

Replies

• Psychoanalytic
    Options
    The actual "reason" has to be on the ticket. It could have been as simple as he didn't throw his arm up to "signal" a left turn. Get a lawyer. Go to the court house. Every state and every county is different.

yes. hire a lawyer to fight a skateboarding ticket. that will be much cheaper.

If it's a legitimate innocence, then yes, hiring a lawyer is "cheaper" than admitting guilt to a violation that was not committed. Yes, the process can be handled pro se, but then the kid just looks like an idiot skateboarder trying to get out of a ticket.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    We still don't know what he did. He kept asking the police officer but she would not give him an answer. My bf has gotten tickets before and we've paid them but this last time was absurd, the officer didn't even see him, he was coming up from behind at normal speed so he didn't do anything wrong but the officer wrote him ticket with no explanation. He kept asking and officer asked if he would like to have another police officer speak and he said yes. Than 3 more cops showed up and he still has gotten no answer...
    Really? It doesn't say on the ticket? Really? I mean, really? For reals?
    If I could read the juberish than I would have the answer, but it's literally chicken scratch.
    And they didn't tell him? Really? I mean, really? For reals?
    YES FOR REALS! WTF?! Why would I seek help and say that if it wasn't true?! AGHHH!
    He asked over and over again but they would not give him an answer. He started writing down the list of events and the cop took the pen away from his because he said he could use it as a weapon-even though seconds later he handed that pen right back to him to sign the ****ing ticket.
    I hope that you can see that it's really hard to believe that a cop would not tell someone what they are being ticketed for, especially in this day and age of litigation and documentation. I find the story very hard to believe, and lean on the side of your boyfriend not wanting you to know.

I completely understand why you would think that, but I am telling you to God honest truth the cops did not tell him, the reason we're fighting this is because my bf repeatly asked what he did wrong and none of the 4 cops on the scene told him, they just treated him all douchebaggy because he wanted to write down and document the exact list of events.

My bf and I are very open unlike most couples, and we've no reason to lie. He has always told me the truth about the tickets and everything that goes on-that's just how we are. Normally we pay the ticket immediatly and let it go, we wouldn't waste our time if it wasn't the truth, my bf would not fabricate these sort of detailed lies if they weren't true, he has no reason to at all. I swear to you the cops were treating him all douchy and avoided giving him a reason for what he did wrong. I know it's sounds absurd....because it IS absurd and the very reason we're fighting this ticket.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    We still don't know what he did. He kept asking the police officer but she would not give him an answer. My bf has gotten tickets before and we've paid them but this last time was absurd, the officer didn't even see him, he was coming up from behind at normal speed so he didn't do anything wrong but the officer wrote him ticket with no explanation. He kept asking and officer asked if he would like to have another police officer speak and he said yes. Than 3 more cops showed up and he still has gotten no answer...
    Really? It doesn't say on the ticket? Really? I mean, really? For reals?
    If I could read the juberish than I would have the answer, but it's literally chicken scratch.
    And they didn't tell him? Really? I mean, really? For reals?
    YES FOR REALS! WTF?! Why would I seek help and say that if it wasn't true?! AGHHH!
    He asked over and over again but they would not give him an answer. He started writing down the list of events and the cop took the pen away from his because he said he could use it as a weapon-even though seconds later he handed that pen right back to him to sign the ****ing ticket.
    I hope that you can see that it's really hard to believe that a cop would not tell someone what they are being ticketed for, especially in this day and age of litigation and documentation. I find the story very hard to believe, and lean on the side of your boyfriend not wanting you to know.

you make me think you might me a peace officer of some sort... simply because you're comments remind me of one of my favorite (and also related too) peace officers. I find it amusing, but thats cause I'm a bystander that has witnessed such an interaction in person. I'm sure the OP finds it quite frustrating though.
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    The actual "reason" has to be on the ticket. It could have been as simple as he didn't throw his arm up to "signal" a left turn. Get a lawyer. Go to the court house. Every state and every county is different.

If it's a legitimate innocence, then yes, hiring a lawyer is "cheaper" than admitting guilt to a violation that was not committed. Yes, the process can be handled pro se, but then the kid just looks like an idiot skateboarder trying to get out of a ticket.

My bf is not an idiot who is just trying to get out of the ticket. We paid all the other times he has gotten a ticket, if we wanted to we could have fought all the other times...but this time my bf honestly has no idea what he did wrong and the cops would not tell him. This is not just some fabricated lie, my bf never had this sort of trouble with cops before, NEVER... and he wouldn't waste his time unless he hoenstly believed he is not guilty.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    In MA you request a hearing and then given a date. that date supersedes the generic ticket due date of 20 days. Cant get a court date before 20 days. I would imagine that there is a record that the appeal has been scheduled. But again...this is MA.
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    You're going to have to go in person to talk to them as LA County's traffic court is now all machine. Too many budget cuts cost too many jobs for there to be a human being on the phones.

As far as not knowing what the ticket is for - you can find that out at your local police station. They will be able to look it up in their system.

If you were unable to pay the ticket online, try using the automated system at the traffic court to pay. If it isn't in the automated system, your request for a court date probably delayed the fine having to be paid until court. However, I am NOT a lawyer. Your best bet is to go in and talk to them in person.

Thank you for your answer, really well put. Will defintely call the police station and find out exactly what the officer thought he did wrong and go to court in person to sort out these questions, thanks :)
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options

My bf is not an idiot who is just trying to get out of the ticket. We paid all the other times he has gotten a ticket, if we wanted to we could have fought all the other times...but this time my bf honestly has no idea what he did wrong and the cops would not tell him. This is not just some fabricated lie, my bf never had this sort of trouble with cops before, NEVER... and he wouldn't waste his time unless he hoenstly believed he is not guilty.

I didn't call your boyfriend an idiot. Apparently you can't read. Let me type it again. "Yes, the process can be handled pro se, but then the kid just looks like an idiot skateboarder trying to get out of a ticket." I don't know if your boyfriend's an idiot or not, thus I can't say. But I can guarantee you that if he goes into court without a lawyer trying to fight it, he'll certainly look like one. :wink: And that's nothing personal. That's simply the judicial system.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    you're welcome
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    In MA you request a hearing and then given a date. that date supersedes the generic ticket due date of 20 days. Cant get a court date before 20 days. I would imagine that there is a record that the appeal has been scheduled. But again...this is MA.

That's really good to know, I guess when i go in person we'll really know how they operate. I hate how unhelpful their website is :P
  • kburdette88
    Options
    This is frickin' ridiculous. She asked a question, if you don't have anything to say to ANSWER her question, why are you saying anything at all?? People are frickin' rude!! (And yes I realize i'm saying this without giving any answers but this is quite unnerveing.....)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    This is frickin' ridiculous. She asked a question, if you don't have anything to say to ANSWER her question, why are you saying anything at all?? People are frickin' rude!! (And yes I realize i'm saying this without giving any answers but this is quite unnerveing.....)

:drinker:
  • abcmom03
    abcmom03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The bf needs to be taking care of this matter.
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    Do you guys have nothing better to do than just be mean? Geez. My bf was on the job, doing a food delivery on his skateboard-he delivers all around downtown LA which is swirmed with cops. He has gotten 2 tickets before and paid them because he knew he was guilty, but not in this case...the police officer didn't even see him!!! She was turned away from him, she gave him ticket as he was passing from behind her.

My bf and I would not WASTE our time fighting this unless we knew he was NOT guilty, the cops completely treated him unjust. We're not fighting this JUST BECAUSE.
    I get that you're mad about the whole thing, but you're getting really worked up about something that A) Isn't YOUR ticket, and B) you even weren't there to witness(?) The world isn't always fair and if the cop shows up in court at his hearing, 10 out of 10 times, you're going to lose because the judge is going to believe the police officer over some perceived "punk" who drives a skateboard. It sucks when you've been wronged...but its the truth!

I'd decide if its really worth it to fight. Can't his employer help with the ticket if he got it while on the job??

You're absolutely right. It just absolutely sucks how unjust the justice system is. My bf and I combine our income, so whatever affects him affects me, and vice versa. I just hate to have to pay an over $200 ticket for something he didn't do, the cop didn't even see him or what he was doing,we're hoping that the cops won't show up but if he does at very least we've tried. My bf has very detailed written record of what happened so I guess we'll see how it goes :ohwell:
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    No. He won't. Tickets are always due before the actual court dates. If you can't pay the waiver fee, then you have to go to court.

I'm not explaining how I know this.

I just do.

*snicker*
  • angieleighbyrd
    Options
    Also, with *most* automated systems if you press 0 it will take you to a live operator. Just keep pressing it.
  • angieleighbyrd
    Options
    And what the hell is wrong with her helping her boyfriend take care of something? They live together so obviously it's not just a fling. I do **** like this for my husband all the damn time.
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    Thank you for being understanding :smile: I don't know why people waste their time just to be rude to someone, it's completely uneccersary. It's sad they have nothing better to do than be :devil: to someone seeking simple advice.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    you make me think you might me a peace officer of some sort... simply because you're comments remind me of one of my favorite (and also related too) peace officers. I find it amusing, but thats cause I'm a bystander that has witnessed such an interaction in person. I'm sure the OP finds it quite frustrating though.
    Nope -- just a thinker. :drinker:
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    No. He won't. Tickets are always due before the actual court dates. If you can't pay the waiver fee, then you have to go to court.

I'm not explaining how I know this.

I just do.

*snicker*
    Thank you!! Based on what I've researched and read that seems to be the case! :smile:
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Go to court find out from them directly. Hire an attorney if you can. and bring the ticket with the illegible chicken scratch on it to court. That way when he says they wouldn't tell him what he did wrong he can at least have the ticket to back him up as far as not being able to read it. AT THE LEAST you should be able to read and understand everything on your ticket. I would also mention the thing with the pen and telling him it was a weapon. But a lawyer would really help here.