Ph.D.'s

Options

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    <--J.D.

Forgive my transatlantic ignorance, but what's that?

Juris Doctor: The degree given to lawyers after three years of study in the U.S. Older lawyers received a degree called an L.L.B.
  • elelat
    elelat Posts: 117
    Options
    I feel pretty confident there must be more than just three of us... :-)

I guess nobody wants to admit they spent a decade of their adult life in college... :laugh:

Well I love to be a student, I could be one my entire life. The university environment is incomparable.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    J.D.
  • DrKittyCat
    DrKittyCat Posts: 108
    Options
    I just got my BSc in math and physics, taking a year off, and then working towards my MD and PhD in Virology. I've got a looooong road ahead of me!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I was actually surprised to learn that I have atleast 3 PhD holders in my friends list.

I was recently offered an all expense paid PhD in Canadia. Of course the catch is that I will have to live in Canadia. That and I will have to get off my butt and finish my last class for my Masters that I've been putting off for a while (Who wants to go look for a "real job" anyways right?)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I guess nobody wants to admit they spent a decade of their adult life in college... :laugh:

Well I love to be a student, I could be one my entire life. The university environment is incomparable.

I felt that way in my first 2 years of grad school. Now, after a decade of grueling classes and exams, I'm pretty much over it. Ready to enter a faculty or lab position and do some real research. No more classwork. No more exams. No teaching.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am toying with the idea of it...but first I have to finish the bachelors now that I just finished the Associates
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I just got my BSc in math and physics, taking a year off, and then working towards my MD and PhD in Virology. I've got a looooong road ahead of me!

I got my BS in math and biology! :smile: Doing my Ph.D. in fisheries science, but it's highly interdisciplinary with a lot of high level analysis, dynamical systems, numerical analysis, ODE's, and PDE's. I love math.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I was actually surprised to learn that I have atleast 3 PhD holders in my friends list.

I was recently offered an all expense paid PhD in Canadia. Of course the catch is that I will have to live in Canadia. That and I will have to get off my butt and finish my last class for my Masters that I've been putting off for a while (Who wants to go look for a "real job" anyways right?)

If you got a fellowship or TA-ship that is a full ride, do it. Those are drying up fast these days with budget cuts!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It is a matter of economics. 10 years of scholarships and then a job as a professor. Far cheaper than a mental institution and it keeps them from doing any real harm.

I can never get used to the American tradition of handing someone a professorial title the minute they get a phd and an academic post. It's hard earned here. :-)

Did someone have a tough time in their undergraduate career, though... ? Such bitterness in one so... well... pale. Let me guess. A graduate from the univeristy of hard knocks? All that fancy book learnin' doesn't equate to real life experience... ? :-))
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

I felt that way in my first 2 years of grad school. Now, after a decade of grueling classes and exams, I'm pretty much over it. Ready to enter a faculty or lab position and do some real research. No more classwork. No more exams. No teaching.

You know it just gets harder, though, right? :-)

I'm fine with harder. Just tired of exams and uncreative and boring coursework.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I'm tired of *marking* exams.... That's an exercise in soul destruction, that is....
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    <--J.D.

SAMESIES. I'm a J.D./MPH - Health Policy student. 2 more years!! Then hopefully working a little bit, but eventually a PhD in either higher education administration, or public/environmental health.
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Also, my Mother (on here as drbeam) finished her PhD the same year I got my BS in Health Science.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Also, my Mother (on here as drbeam) finished her PhD the same year I got my BS in Health Science.

That's awesome! :)
  • yamadass
    yamadass Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to start my fourth year PhD in Clinical Psychology - it's a LONG road - applying for a clinical internship and then a year of supervised practice after that. I end up spending a lot of time studying in cafes....trying to pick better food and drink choices while I'm there! The starbucks shaken passion tea unsweetened is pretty yummy and zero calories!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    <--J.D.

Forgive my transatlantic ignorance, but what's that?

Juris Doctor: The degree given to lawyers after three years of study in the U.S. Older lawyers received a degree called an L.L.B.

"older" haha. I was older than most of the other students. An LLM requires one extra year of study and is generally something you do if you want to become a prof.

I never heard of an LLB until today. I think it's the same as a JD in other countries.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I'm just about to start my fourth year PhD in Clinical Psychology - it's a LONG road - applying for a clinical internship and then a year of supervised practice after that. I end up spending a lot of time studying in cafes....trying to pick better food and drink choices while I'm there! The starbucks shaken passion tea unsweetened is pretty yummy and zero calories!

They had a Starbuck's INSIDE my undergrad library, which was open 24/7. I spend many many nights there.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    an LLB is just a bachelors' degree.
  • Yogeros
    Yogeros Posts: 19
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone pursing their PhD's. I just finished my MSN in Nursing education and really want to pursue my PhD in Nursing. I am a 42 year old male, so I am not sure if I am too old to begin the journey or not. Any suggestions?