Ph.D.'s

Options

Replies

• Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I wish I didn't have to get one... it's starting to count for less and less in my field, yet still counts enough that I need it.

Presently, I am doing all right, though - working as a 'research assistant' but I am doing actual research and publishing it with only a 3 year BSc. For now, this is great. I've basically been apprenticed to one of the researchers, and I am learning a heck of a lot more than I did while attempting honours.

This situation was hard-bought though - had to quit honours twice and have spent 2+ years injured. to add insult to injury, during my first RA job the honours student dropped out and I had to complete it in her place, analysis and all.

Thankfully there is some level of credit given for publishing, so I will be able to do a Masters by research, which I will start when this job is over.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    an LLB is just a bachelors' degree.

Whew! That explains a lot! My undergrad degrees are all science! I had no plans on becoming a lawyer back then ;)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I wish I didn't have to get one... it's starting to count for less and less in my field, yet still counts enough that I need it.

Presently, I am doing all right, though - working as a 'research assistant' but I am doing actual research and publishing it with only a 3 year BSc. For now, this is great. I've basically been apprenticed to one of the researchers, and I am learning a heck of a lot more than I did while attempting honours.

This situation was hard-bought though - had to quit honours twice and have spent 2+ years injured. to add insult to injury, during my first RA job the honours student dropped out and I had to complete it in her place, analysis and all.

Thankfully there is some level of credit given for publishing, so I will be able to do a Masters by research, which I will start when this job is over.

Sounds like a rough program, but it's worth it to push through. They try to make you quit in grad school. It's a weed out process. Don't give up!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    You are all such inspirations!!

I started college after high school but decided it wasnt for me.

After I had my son I started back up again! I just now started working on my bachelors in Sociology with a major in Psychology. I wont receive my degree until january of 2016!! I will be 30 years old! I also plan on stayin in school and pursuing my Masters. I toy with the idea of getting my PH.D but only time will tell. :o)

I can tell you from a teacher's perspective that returning students are great. It takes a lot of guts to go back to college when you've got a family or are over 25 when you start. Good for you! Stick with it!

Thank you.

I am a single parent and want my son to have something to look up to.

I feel as though I cant push him to do something if I cant give him an example to follow.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    JD here (Juris Doctorate). I'm considering going back for a Masters in Accounting, which would put me at 9 years of college.

Someone earlier said JD is the equivalent of a PhD in law, but that's not quite right; it is a doctoral degree, but it isn't the advanced degree for law. The advanced degree, after a J.D., is LLM or "Master of Laws," and requires a specialization. E.g. LLM Tax, LLM Litigation, LLM Intellectual Property, etc.

Clearly, I also hold a Masters in unsolicited assvice. :bigsmile:
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in my first year of working on my Ph.D. in English and Related Literature with a focus on ancient and medieval texts (3-4 year programme). Last year I did my M.A. in Medieval and Renaissance Studies, and before that I got my B.A. in Classics. Humanities, represent!

I've made the leap from an American B.A. to English postgraduate degree programmes, and it's nice to see that there's a mix of people here from both systems!

Oh, and no worries about being in your mid-twenties. I began my M.A. when I was 25 and am now 27. If I'm extraordinarily dedicated, I can get my Ph.D. when/before I'm 30. ;)

Also, congratulations to all the people who are working on or have finished their degrees! It's a long and stressful process, so I have lots of respect for you all who have made it through.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'll be finished with my MAcc May 2013 and I'm actually thinking of going on for my PhD...But at the same time I'm so ready for a real job with some real money...instead of the mountain of student loan debt I'm already under. I'll have to see how I'm feeling after this year. And I just might wait until both my kids are in college to go back for my PhD :laugh:
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm working on my Doctorate in Clinical Psychology!

1 year down.... (seemingly) a million more to go :)
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Im in my third year of my PhD, one more year to go but at that annoying stage where science is working and I need to start writing journal articles lol!! Took me 3 weeks just to sit down and write my first paragraph :D
    I did a 4 years honours degree in biochemistry and then went straight to PhD and loving it.. Of course I did have that obligatory 6 months where easy experiments refused to work but I hung in there and got through it! Good luck to all that are studying!!
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

After I had my son I started back up again! I just now started working on my bachelors in Sociology with a major in Psychology. I wont receive my degree until january of 2016!! I will be 30 years old! I also plan on stayin in school and pursuing my Masters. I toy with the idea of getting my PH.D but only time will tell. :o)

I can tell you from a teacher's perspective that returning students are great. It takes a lot of guts to go back to college when you've got a family or are over 25 when you start. Good for you! Stick with it!

Thank you.

I feel as though I cant push him to do something if I cant give him an example to follow.

YOU are awesome! I'm sure he's proud of you for chasing your educational and fitness goals.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    JD here (Juris Doctorate). I'm considering going back for a Masters in Accounting, which would put me at 9 years of college.

Someone earlier said JD is the equivalent of a PhD in law, but that's not quite right; it is a doctoral degree, but it isn't the advanced degree for law. The advanced degree is LLM or "Master of Laws," and requires a specialization. E.g. LLM Tax, LLM Litigation, LLM Intellectual Property, etc.

Clearly, I also mastered in unsolicited assvice. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the clarification! I just assumed that the J.D. students at Starbucks at 3am at the table next to us were in it for the same long haul. LOL
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I drool over the idea of it.......lol I do have my masters. Maybe in a few years I will start...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Thank you.

You are awesome! :smile: I wish you nothing but success!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    DVM. Will probably get a PhD if/when I can't find another job . . .
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have my doctorate in clinical psychology...actually have 2 masters in psychology as well, one in adult and one in child/family. Long road, but have my own private practice and my license for about 7 years now. THIS is how I got fat!!! LOL :-)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Im in my third year of my PhD, one more year to go but at that annoying stage where science is working and I need to start writing journal articles lol!! Took me 3 weeks just to sit down and write my first paragraph :D
    I did a 4 years honours degree in biochemistry and then went straight to PhD and loving it.. Of course I did have that obligatory 6 months where easy experiments refused to work but I hung in there and got through it! Good luck to all that are studying!!

Publishing gets much easier as you move forward. First publication is the hardest.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Doctorate in Communications :)
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have Ph.D. in psychology.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I have my doctorate in clinical psychology...actually have 2 masters in psychology as well, one in adult and one in child/family. Long road, but have my own private practice and my license for about 7 years now. THIS is how I got fat!!! LOL :-)

LOL Well, sounds like you've been very successful though, which is great!
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    PhD in Molecular genetics (done in my homeland, France) and postdoc for 3 years in the best city (San diego CA).
    Actually looking for a new one because my lab is running soon of monney :((((

PhD in biology is not the best idea for getting a nice stable job (I'm even not talking about salaries !)

ans always looking for MFP friends !