Is there anyone here who isn't/wasn't a "sad" fat person?

Options
Starrynights1107
Starrynights1107 Posts: 70 Member
I know that most people (including myself) are here to lose weight and obviously there's nothing wrong with that. However I always wonder if there is anyone who started off pretty significantly fat but did NOT start off depressed, hating themselves, hating how they looked, with no confidence, etc. Peoples' weight loss stories always seem to start off that way but mine does not. I'm just wondering if anyone can relate.

Replies

• fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    I think I am gorgeous! I just wanna be able to wear corsets and other fun clothes. That is why I am trying to lose weight
  • jrwatson87
    jrwatson87 Posts: 66
    Options
    I've always loved my fat self. It wasn't hard to become socially well-adjusted always having a great social life and even being on a sports team in high school (water polo at that...my fat self in a bathing suit without a care). I have to lose weight for my health but I've never felt unattractive or unwanted. And I love to see others who are the same way :)
  • whallvr
    whallvr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I didn't hate myself. i think I actually had more confidence then. And I knew if someone liked me, then they really liked me for me.
    I also was active and played sports. I just decided I needed to be healthier for myself and my daughter.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel terrible about myself, because I think I am a great person and had some confidence. I always found something about myself that I loved be it personality, eyes, hair, freckles etc. But I think I needed to give myself the body that I feel that I deserve. Also I don't like the prejudices people make. I wasn't depressed, I just wasn't satisfied. No one really bothered me about my weight so that could have been part of it.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I've definitely never been the 'sad' fatty! When I started off on MFP I simply wondered if it was possible for me to lose weight, so I decided I'd experiment by seeing how much I was normally eating. When I saw that it was the maintenance for my weight, I went to the next stage of the experiment and started eating smaller portions and healthier foods. The weight started coming off, and I got into a routine and decided this would be a good lifestyle to get into, and that I'd enjoy being a size 16 one day instead of a 26.
    I've always really loved my body even at my highest weight, and never felt disgusting or self-loathing because of my fat.
  • obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    Sort of. I gained weight as a teenager and later due to depression and not wanting to be attractive as a protection from men. But recently I worked through all those issues and lost a ton of weight. It slowly crept back on (without the emotional baggage) and now I am once again 5'3" and 170 lbs. (According to BMI considered obese.) But I feel better and more attractive than I ever have before. Went shopping today and in the changing room with three way mirror had to stop and admire my body, soft tissue and all!

So yes. While I am currently overweight and want to lose some, I am certainly not sad about my current situation.
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    Me!! I'm married to a lovely man that cherishes me (and I, him), I'm a singer, a photographer, have a great job... there's too much to be happy about! I always truthfully look down on people who refuse to see the good around them and dwell in negativity and self hatred.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    I didn't hate myself. i think I actually had more confidence then. And I knew if someone liked me, then they really liked me for me.
    That is a good point.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I started out sad/depressed but not because I hated myself.

I'd had 3 miscarriages in 2yrs and the only 'thing' the doctors put it down to was my weight.
  • KenishaFitness
    KenishaFitness Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight back in 2010, I did it just for the heck of it. but I Loved myself for the way I looked. but now I gained all that weight back + tons more.. I still feel alright.. but just not as happy as I used to be.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    vxkec6.jpg
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    That is a good point.

:laugh: Maybe. You have to remember there are a lot of people out there with a strong preference for fat women. I've been hit on a TON in my life BECAUSE of my hot fat body. And let's just say my partner definitely isn't with me despite my body, that's for sure. :blushing:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I was like that before being sad & was totally in denial of my body but then I realized that for a change to happen is to first love yourself. Because if you love yourself, you'll do anything to take care of your body & your health. Lose weight for your health & being able to fit into smaller clothes should be treated as icing on the cake.
  • 1Kristine1
    Options
    Maybe. You have to remember there are a lot of people out there with a strong preference for fat women. I've been hit on a TON in my life BECAUSE of my hot fat body. And let's just say my partner definitely isn't with me despite[/m] my body, that's for sure.
    I suppose, but atleast when you are a little overweight you don't get every jerk on the planet eyeing you up and only seeing you as a piece of meat.
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    Maybe. You have to remember there are a lot of people out there with a strong preference for fat women. I've been hit on a TON in my life BECAUSE of my hot fat body. And let's just say my partner definitely isn't with me despite[/m] my body, that's for sure.
    I suppose, but atleast when you are a little overweight you don't get every jerk on the planet eyeing you up and only seeing you as a piece of meat.

xD I've always been SO thankful for that! Not looking forward to the extra objectification if I do get to an average weight.
  • Starrynights1107
    Starrynights1107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome responses guys! I genuinely love when other people have love for themselves. Also, just to clarify I was not trying to put down anyone who started off depressed. All of our journeys are different and if you have pulled/are pulling yourself up from a significantly low point, I truly respect that. It is just not my own story and I'm looking for people to relate to :)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I would love to see this thread overlaid with the 'personality type' thread.. just out of curiosity... I expect there might be some correlation, I don't know for sure though.

On topic, good on you!! I have always felt even more weak for caring so much about my weight and putting so much focus on it :)
  • 1Kristine1
    Options

xD I've always been SO thankful for that! Not looking forward to the extra objectification if I do get to an average weight.
    I don't know if it will happen to me, but I certainly don't need THAT kind of attention. My sister seems to enjoy it, I have no clue why. I am smart, funny, beautiful and have self-worth. If you wanna get with me, you better be pretty on the inside.
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    I would love to see this thread overlaid with the 'personality type' thread.. just out of curiosity... I expect there might be some correlation, I don't know for sure though.

On topic, good on you!! I have always felt even more weak for caring so much about my weight and putting so much focus on it :)

I think I'm an INFP. Not 100% though, It's been a while since I took the test.
    EDIT: Took another test and I've changed to INFJ. I'm probably like a mix of the two.

And to Kristine - I know EXACTLY what you mean. You go girl!
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand* I totally love me some me! It's not about shape or pants size for me. It's about health. I may not always love what I have seen in the mirror, but I always knew it was up to me to change it. I've done that a couple times. Now, it's a lifestyle thing for me. I love me still, but I wanted to quit smoking (done), eat better (getting there), and have more energy (still waiting. Jillian kills me). I can understand how people get that way, but to me it's defeating the purpose. If you can't see yourself beyond weight, you'll never be happy.