working full time and have a toddler. When to exercise?

Options
124»

Replies

• Sondras09
    Sondras09 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I work full time (opposite shifts of my husband) 5a-2p. Then I have a 6,4, and 9 month old at home. I run with them :) I push the baby in the jogging stroller and the big kids ride thier bikes. They love it and its great for all of us :)
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    1. What does LO mean? I mean, I assume it's the toddler, but...just curious what it actually stands for.

My guess is that it means Little One...
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I've seen some DVDs out there for moms to work out with their babies. They look like fun and give you a chance to workout and have some good playtime with baby at the same time.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I do it at lunch time or when my son (7) is watching a tv show after dinner.
  • Auntiekrislynne
    Auntiekrislynne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do some things with the little one. Then you can do what you love, be a mom and exercise at the same time. Then the kiddo gets mommy time at the same time you are getting exercise time.
  • khelser
    khelser Posts: 27
    Options
    Good question. I have a 2 and a 3 yr old. I remember the days of exhaustion, heck I'm still there. I haven't been able to start loosing my baby weight until now. Now I have them do it with me. They think it is fun to go for hikes through our woods and explore while I am getting exercise they are too.:drinker:
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    do it in the morning.. you will see that it gives you tons of energy for the rest of the day to help you with work and kiddies.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    I have a 2 year old- we excersize together... she runs me ragged! :smile:
    My schedule is as follows:
    6:00 a.m.- take the dog for 1/2 hour speed walk.
    6:30 a.m.- shower/get dressed
    7:15 a.m.- wake up my daughter, get her hair and teeth brushed, use the potty, out the door by 7:30. I am lucky that my day care lets the kids come in their jammies, and fixes them breakfast.
    8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.- work. I am a project manager at an archictectural design & signing company. I'm on my butt all day :yawn:
    1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.- I go to the gym for my lunch break, and then eat at my desk when I get back.
    2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.- more work.
    5:00 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.- I leave work, pick up my daughter from day care (spend a few minutes being informed of her day/activities/behavior etc.), and drive home.
    5:45 p.m.- make dinner. Toss a load of laundry in the wash machine while dinner's cooking.
    6:15ish (depends on what I'm cooking) to 7:00ish- we eat dinner.
    7:00 p.m.- the whole family goes outside and does something together. We walk, we go to the park, we play soccer, we work in the garden, we try to stay active. If it's raining, we do crafts together (hubby's getting pretty good with glue and pipe-cleaners :laugh: ).
    8:15 p.m.- bath time for my daughter.
    8:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. - time for prayers, then story time, then I tuck her in and sing her a couple of songs.
    9:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.- I throw the laundry from the wash machine into the drier. Then the dog gets another half-hour speed walk.
    9:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.- I clean the kitchen & pick up the house. Serious deep cleaning & scrubbing is on the weekends.
    10:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.- I fold the laundry while I watch TV.
    11:00 p.m.- off to bed! I get 7 hours of sleep, which is plenty for me.

So, I get cardio in the morning and in the evening for a total of 1 hour of cardio at home (plus the extra excersize of running around and playing outside with my daughter!). At the gym, I do a 20 min. interval course on the Precor machine, and then spend a half- hour on weight training. The other 10 minutes of my lunch break is 5 minutes to the gym and 5 minutes back. This is my general schedule- life happens... sometimes dinner takes longer to cook and throws the rest of the night off a bit, sometimes I'll have a lunch meeting with a client, but this is a pretty good timeline of how I keep it together.
  • furbutt
    furbutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I go from 3:00 AM until 5:00 AM
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    You can workout immediately after you eat as long as it doesnt bother you. Its not like the old wives tale telling you not to swim after a meal. Lol. Maybe it will encourage you to eat a more sensible meal, knowing that you are getting ready to exercise. If you wait 15 minutes and it bothers you somehow, wait longer the next time. Every person is different. I always eat right before i exercise.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I find working out in the morning to be better than a morning cup of coffee, so if you could get up about an hour earlier then you would have time for a workout and a quick shower.
  • Pennapenguin
    Pennapenguin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have a almost 4 year old and a 9 month old. I get up at 5am in oder to leave the house at 6am with kiddos in tow. And get to work at 7am. What I did was I joined a Planet Fitness that is located between my work and my home/daycare. That way, when I leave work I go straight to the gym and get 30 minutes in of cardio and then go pick the kids up from daycare. That extra 30 minutes they are there is not even noticed because on other days I will run errands and still get there at the same time to pick them up.
  • jaynemom
    Options
    I am a single mom with ITP, cronic fatigue and a 1 and 3 year old. The kids Dad is MIA, and offers no physical or financial support. I get up every morning at 5 am get ready, make breakfast, make lunch, wakeup the kids, feed them and rush them off to daycare. I have to leave daycare by 7 am to make it to work at 8 a.m., I always have to work through lunch since everyone else is working at least a 45 hour work week and when I leave work at 5 pm I don't get to the kids till 6 p.m. and I don't get home till 6:15-6:30 pm. My kids need their exercise too so during the summer we walk, run or play for 30 minutes. (This should be 90 minutes) I then have 30 - 45 minutes to feed the kids. Now its a quarter til 8. Too late for the one year to be up but she can take naps during the day. I put them both in the bath and give them a wash and 10 minutes play time. I pull them out, lotion them up and off to bed. That gives me the remainder of the evening to clean dishes and the kitchen, clean house and pack their backpacks for the next day and then get to sleep so I can function the next day at work and not get fired. Because at this rate and even with that sleep I am still exhausted and fight falling asleep everyday at work. 30 minutes activity isn't enough, but it seems to be the best I can do.