what to eat with sauerkraut other then hot dogs?

Options

Replies

• cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    saving for later - I love sauerkraut too.
  • BigenFluffy
    BigenFluffy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating it only with hotdogs too. I married a man who was born in Germany to a German mother and an American father, so I have become very accustomed to sauerkraut.

It's not supposed to be super salty like the kind from the can. Rinse it briefly then put it in a pot. You can add smoked porkchops, bacon etc, or apples or caraway. Let it simmer a while, it should be soft, not crunchy.

We usually eat it as a side dish.
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country we eat "Pork and Kraut", which is shredded pork loin mixed in with the Kraut.
    Well hello fellow Pennsylvanian :D
    Yea though I'm a veg and don't eat the pork, it's a much loved tradition :)
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    mashed potatoes!!!

THIS^^^ Or fried potatoes, or any potatoes. Also, you could make stuffed cabbages and add the saur kraut to the pot.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    deliciuos side salad

sourkraut (250 grams)
    1 small carrot
    half of apple
    small onion
    1 tbsp olive
    1 tsp sugar
    black pepper to season

chop everything in very small pices and mix, serve with pork chops and mashed potato

forgot important detail
    the salad is suppose to be sweet and sour so if kraut is really salty, wash it before
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    All things pork! Try with a pork chop and some green veg!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    sausage and baked beans!
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hebrew National has a 97% FF hot dog that has only 40 calories....I personally love them. A hot dog (or even 2 at that low calorie level) and some sauerkraut with a little calorie free spicy mustard....sounds fabulous to me!

Also, as alot of people suggested - pork goes great with it - every New Years Day we have pork and sauerkraut in the crock pot with either apples or pears (or both)....

I'm getting so hungry now!! haha!
  • JSMSDSAS05
    JSMSDSAS05 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Here in Pennsylvania Dutch country we eat "Pork and Kraut", which is shredded pork loin mixed in with the Kraut.
    Well hello fellow Pennsylvanian :D
    Yea though I'm a veg and don't eat the pork, it's a much loved tradition :)

Yep, here in Lancaster, PA ~ Dutch Country, we eat pork and sauerkraut! Throw some pork chops and sauerkraut in a crock pot for the day! I'd eat mash potatoes too, but not any more since trying to eat healthier!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating spare rib/pork chops in a slow cooker with sauerkraut and brown sugar. OMFG! Best thing you will have in your mouth!

This! I just made this last week....it is yummy!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I bake or boil pork chops or country ribs and put in my sauerkraut
    me too!! Pork..the other white meat! :laugh:
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    We usually serve it as a side dish with some type of sausages (bratwurst, kielbasa, etc.), roast pork loin, or pork chops.

I usually make it Bavarian style: rinse and drain the sauerkraut well. While it's draining, slice some onions (and apples if you like) and fry them in a skillet with just a bit of butter. When they are soft, add in the sauerkraut. Then add vinegar (I usually use apple cider vinegar) and brown sugar. You can add caraway seeds too, but I don't care for that flavor so usually skip them.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It is a fermented food and good for proper digestive health.

It is good eaten with ANYTHING.
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    Put it in a crockpot or dutch oven, mince a few cloves of garlic and sprinkle on the kraut, add a minced apple if you want it a litttle sweeter, place a lean porloin ontop, add about 1 cup water and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Cook on low for 4-5 hours, serve with a baked potato or mashed. I use the broth as a gravy for my mashed. You could also substitute pork chops, german bratwursts, smoked pork roast.
  • djeff41
    djeff41 Posts: 28
    Options
    Why not hot dogs? one nathans frank is 170 calories...not bad at all.

#hotdoglover

:)
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    keilbasa and kraut......or any kind of pork
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    be careful! Rueban Sandwiches are high calorie!

Traditionally, yes. But as with most things, you can make yourself a low cal version, with the basic principle of meat, cheese, sauerkraut, sauce, and bread.
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    I had a recipe from a 4 ingredient cook book. I can't find the book anymore but I remember that recipe. Spray your baking dish and pour in your sauerkraut, put in ribs, pork or beef whichever you prefer and then sprinkle with brown sugar. Cover with foil and bake at 350 until the ribs are done. MMM so good. Hubby doesn't like sauerkraut so I can only make this when he isn't home.

Hmmmmm, he won't be home tonight and I have some boneless pork chops. I may just have to make that substitution! Oh wait, I don't think I have the sauerkraut. Dang it.
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-chicken-reuben/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=chicken reuben&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

We made this with Walden's 1000 Island 0 calorie dressing and it was FANTASTIC and much lower in calories than what it shows here! So delicious!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I grew up with sauerkraut and pork tenderloin simmering all day in a crock pot.

This, or keilbasa (there are turkey keilbasa). I try to eat clean, so I normally do organic pork sausage, and eat ALOT of kraut, 1 sausage (topped with whole grain mustard), a small potato and have a salad before dinner.