Make COTTAGE CHEESE taste better?

Options

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Go crazy with the fruit! It'll be amazing! Mango, strawberries, blackberries, grapes, pineapple...toss it in and mix it up. You can even toss an egg in if you want to do so. The only fruit I don't like in mine is Cantaloupe. If uncertain, try one piece with the cottage cheese to determine the mixes you like.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    to 1/2 cup cottage cheese add 1/2 an apple chopped into small chunks, and add 1/2 tsp (or to taste) cinnamon, and 1 packet sweetner such as equal or splenda. stir. its really good
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't eat things I hate.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I like to add sweet things to it. Fresh fruit, sugar free jam, applesauce, I even sprinkle some totally unhealthy chemical powdered sugar free creamer every now and then. Typically I eat super healthy but I've found tremendous freedom lately from obsession with avoiding foods perceived to be unhealthy (100% Organic).
  • YoYo1951
    Options
    one container of cottage cheese, and a package of dry ranch dressing. let it set in the frig for a while and use it for dips on crackers. Yum, even good by itself. Another way is with caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Northwood Inn recipe. Yum
    Cottage cheese with tomatoes. love it
  • ehodgson81
    Options
    I got over the texture thing by mixing cottage cheese with no sugar added applesauce. The applesauce was already liquidy, so it helped. I then moved to regular fruits and now I can even eat it plain. A friend of mine also reccomends putting it in scrambled eggs or egg beaters to add a little something more.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, DON'T EAT IT!! Yes, it's good for you, but so are a lot of other things. I KNOW yogurt is good for me, but I don't like it. So I don't eat it.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't eat it. I beg to differ on the good for you as most servings have over 400 mg of sodium so I don't personally label it is healthy. I can get more protein for less sodium elsewhere so I do.
  • chrissydsnyder
    Options
    Try adding cinnamon and splenda tastes like rice pudding. Hope this helps
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    tomatoes and pepper - YUM

^^^this!
  • megankaufmann
    megankaufmann Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese now... But I must admit, it wasn't love at first bite. First off, I find the skim and 2% to taste much better than the whole milk cheese. Secondly, make sure you are buying the small curd kind, it doesn't require much chewing so it goes down faster. My ritual includes grabbing a half cup meaning cup, scooping it out on my plate and putting black pepper on it. It is very high in protein and is low in fat.

You can also try mixing a fruit you already like in with it. I don't recommend nuts unless they are small enough to where you don't have to chew on them.

ALSO try a low fat recipe with it! I like this one!

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
    1/2 pound turkey
    1/2 pound lean ground beef
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 cup minced onion
    1/8 teaspoon white sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 pound small curd cottage cheese
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
    Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and set aside.
    Place turkey and beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Stir in tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, parsley, garlic, oregano, onion, sugar, basil and salt. Simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
    In a 9x13 inch baking dish, place 2 layers of noodles on the bottom of dish; layer 1/2 of the cheese mixture, 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/2 of the sauce; repeat layers.
    Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes; let stand for 10 minutes before cutting; serve

OR IF YOU REALLY CANT STAND IT, SKIP IT ALTOGETHER!: I also am a huge fan of egg whites. I buy the egg beaters with flavors, there is about 100 calories in 1/2 a cup scrambled with low fat milk, SO tasty!!
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, the 2% though. I sometimes mix mine up with diced apples, peaches, or the like. Am definitely going to try the pumpkin recipe!!
  • marlynej
    marlynej Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like mine with some black pepper and diced green onions in it also like it with fruit in it.
  • sem021966
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! I don't know what you can do about the texture but I often add a sprinkling of lemon pepper on top when I want to add a little flavor and don't want to go sweet with fruit. I also will mix in sunflower seeds and/or french fried onions to give it a bit of crunch.
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, since I can remember: ew.
  • Taneil27
    Options
    I just add black pepper to mine. It is delicious!!
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe I enjoy:
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1 scoop protein powder
    add pumpkin spice or cinnamon to taste.

Mix with a food processor or hand blender under smooth.

I call it pumpkin protein pudding.

This sounds amazing. Do you call it the "PPP" for short? :)http://mylittlefacewhen.com/f/7723/

Today, I had my cottage cheese with a Romaine/Red leaf lettuce mix, watermelon and almonds. I use the cottage cheese in place of dressing. It's reallllllly good.

Pretty much any kind of super sweet fruits will complement cottage cheese. I just avoid tart berries like raspberries with it... for some reason, it makes the berries a little more tart than I like.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    maybe not too helpful, but a friend suggested mixing tuna and cottage cheese. Mass quantities of protein, but I dont care too much for tuna. Just "learning" to like it. But I love cottage cheese!

NOT GOOD. ick. But I guess if you like both, then you could like them together! Especially at 140 cals and 30 grams of protein, It would be worth it :tongue:
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different brands? I especially like the SAMs Club cottage cheese. Try different brands and add fruit. All brands are not the same taste or consistency.