Make COTTAGE CHEESE taste better?

Options

Replies

• RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    was in a factory where they made it and I'll never touch it.Sorry no help here.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I stir in 1/3 cup craisins. Nummy :)

I like raisins & craisins :happy:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    There are major difference between the full fat, low fat, and fat free varieties. Full fat tastes the best to me but I settle on the low fat.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If you don't like cottage cheese, then find something that is good for you that you DO like. If I truly don't like something, I'm not going to eat it just because it's good for me...there are plenty of "good for me" foods that I like to eat. :)

^^^ This. And if you're eating cottage cheese because of the protein, there are plenty of good protein sources that aren't ridiculously high in sodium like cottage cheese is. I love cottage cheese, but I already struggle with my sodium, and getting under 20 grams of protein for 1/3 of my daily budget for sodium just ain't worth it to me.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I hate cottage cheese...except when I vigorously mix in freshly chopped chives, and a splash of milk or half and half. Then it is a great dip for veggies or chips of any kind. The oniony flavor makes the texture tolerable.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I mix it in to my oatmeal.
  • Deeroy2
    Deeroy2 Posts: 2
    Options
    Pineapples or Strawberries are my favorites additions to it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    was in a factory where they made it and I'll never touch it.Sorry no help here.

I think you'll find that's true of almost any processed food you eat. One of the reasons I love my garden and the farmshare we buy so much. I can visit the factory and still be hungry for the food!
  • mvenn
    mvenn Posts: 2
    Options
    Pinch of curry powder or chilli powder
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    I use these cute little trays from Wal-mart called cottage cheese doubles. They come with a side of pineapple, blueberry, strawberry, or another fruit and you can mix it in. One tray is 100 calories. :)
  • jshashaty
    jshashaty Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese regularly (in evening to keep me full). I just started using Walden Farms Calorie Free Raspberry fruit spread. I put that on the side and incorporate both. It tastes good.

Walden Farms puts out so many products and usually found in produce section of my store. I also take a teaspoon of that just when i need a bit of a sugar kick. It helps

Hope this helps.

Jackie
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I used to love it but for some reason now, not so much....What I did the last time I bought it was put in a serving of it with my protein shake powder and milk or water (milk tastes better to me) and blend it real good...It smooths it out without any curds and adds lots of protein to my protein shake....Not bad at all!!

ETA: Also, I use it in lasagna or manicotti...I either use this in place of ricotta cheese or mix the two together...You can't tell the difference...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bacon

exactly. I put bacon bits in mine. A couple teaspoons isn't high in calories.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Try low-fat or fat free ricotta instead, no cottage cheese lumps. I bake about half a cup with some turkey pepperoni or sausage, one sliced string cheese stick and a couple tablespoons of pizza sauce to make a really yummy no noodle lasagna. 220 calories, 24 g protein but a tad high on sodium.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    My wife made this recently:

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/frozen-chocolate-strawberry-mousse/

She used raspberries instead of strawberries. Delicious.

Even my kids like it. Great alternative to sugary desserts.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    EGGS!! Toss a handful of spinach into a buttered frying pan, cook down, be sure to "squish" out the water. Add 2-3 tablespoons of cottage cheese and 3 eggs.....scramble in the pan.

Or...just put 2-3 tablespoons to 3 eggs and scramble (no spinach). It makes the fluffiest eggs ever!
  • tiguer
    tiguer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love eating cottage cheese for breakfast with a cup of Dole Diced Peaches (the kind in 100% juice). It sounds like it would have really weird texture - but it isn't too bad and it tastes great!

I also like to put a scoop of cottage cheese on a salad - like a chef salad with eggs and ranch. yum. It increases the protein content and makes that salad a lot more filling.

I haven't tried any of the other suggestions - but you can bet I will be!
  • maiasmum
    maiasmum Posts: 6
    Options
    I put rasins, stevia and vanilla axtract in mine, yum !
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    Here is a recipe I enjoy:
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1 scoop protein powder
    add pumpkin spice or cinnamon to taste.

Mix with a food processor or hand blender under smooth.

I call it pumpkin protein pudding.

I usually use ricotta instead of cottage cheese...maybe I will give it a try :)
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    Breakstones 2% / 30% less sodium is actually really good. That's all I got! :) Good luck on your search.