ALMOST there! ~90lbs lost in about 10 months.

Options

Replies

• melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration to me. I was about 20 lbs heavier when I started this and I'm an inch shorter than you and after 5 months of going to the gym and dropping 44 lbs, I am now trying to incorporate running as well. I always wanted to be a runner, ever since middle school, but I always thought.....I'm way too heavy to be doing that. Now my outlook is different and I really want to keep at it.

Thank you so much for posting!!! Also because I run/speed walk 3-4 days per week and I thought that was way too much for me. Seeing that you do it 6-7 days a week will really keep my butt off the couch for one less day a week and get out there and run some more!
  • megwifey
    megwifey Posts: 2
    Options
    you are rocking it joy! well done.
  • shariTN
    shariTN Posts: 53
    Options
    You are amazing!
  • DDsMrs
    DDsMrs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You look great and you have accomplished so much in such a short time!! Doesn't it feel GREAT?!?! :-) I have to agree with some of the others who have posted by saying you do not look like 174, 130 is more like it! Cheers to you!

I am reaching my 1 yr anniversary since joining my gym and shooting for a 50 pound loss, only 4 more pounds to go!
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Amazing! I love your story!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC! I was born with spinabifida and have had serious problems resulting from it. I only have half my left foot left, but refuse to let it stop me. I walk, hike, jog, & exercise in whatever way I can. I applaud you for your determination!!! AMAZING!!!!
  • tkaawa
    tkaawa Posts: 302
    Options
    you look amazing.
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Before, this was 270-something lbs. The second shot is from today at the gym. 174.8!!

I'm 5'8". I'm 31 years old and Mom of three kids, ages 6, 3, and 1.

Current routine: I run 6-7 days/week, and lift weights 2-3x/week. Eat less crap, drink more water.

Current goal: 145-160lbs, resting at whichever number I feel strong, faster, and healthy. To be determined when I get there. :-)

beforeduring20120605.jpg

EDITED:
    I've gotten like 10 messages asking how I did it or how I got started. Here you go...

Let's see. A year ago this week I had a debilitating spinal cord injury due to a herniated disc. I had emergency surgery and was in a rehab hospital for almost a month because I was paralyzed from the waist down. It's a miracle I regained sensation as much as I have. The neurosurgeon said the best way to prevent this from happening again is to lose weight and strengthen my core. So I took him VERY seriously.

The first day I walked a quarter mile around my neighborhood, with a CANE! I just kept at it, every single day. Walking longer, farther, faster, adding in jogging after a few months, then walking with running, and now full on running.

The key for me has been consistency.

Firstly, you look fantastic, you look healthy and you glow!

My question is, how did you get through the first couple of months post op?

I had a herniated disc about 10 weeks ago which left me with a paralysed left leg. I started physiotherapy and electrical stimulation and a lot of injections to stimulate my sciatic nerve. I was told I am not allowed to run/do aerobics/snowboard/bike/ride horses (basically everything I ever loved) anymore.. EVER.

Right now, I am still doing my physio, but I have occasional relapses where I limp and have pain in my buttock and calf. I want to start running again, my doc says no, but honestly I dont really trust him. Im a doctor myself (albeit a horse dr), but I am no orthopedist so you know, I dont want to risk too much. i dont really want to operate on my disc.

Did you go swimming? Did you have a special exercise regime for your core? When did you feel up to the running challenge again?

I really hope you find the time for some answers, this disc has been a major source of frustration and anger for me, since I had just started my weight loss/fitness journey about 9 weeks prior and was getting really into it. Im still losing, but since my exercise is rather laughable (some walking, physio and an awkward 30DS try) its down to my diet...therefore I am not satisfied. Not to mention the pure joy of exercising is gone.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story!!!
  • dlou2u
    dlou2u Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is amazing. Congrats you look great.
  • amphora
    amphora Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Amazing and profound! I mean, I can do that. I can walk, I can lift. I can eat less crap and drink more water. 6-7 times week is harder, not because it is difficult, but because it requires commitment and a change in habit. Also something I can do. Something I need to do.

THANK YOU for posting your success. Truly inspiring. And you look fantastic! Great job!
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!! :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am only about 9 pounds more than you and I look huge. Hight I guess does make a difference. You look so skinny now. Good job keep up the great work.
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Great job and thanks for sharing!
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!! What a wonderful inspiration you are! Keep up the great work!!
  • luluwubu
    luluwubu Posts: 14
    Options
    Well done! So many people would have sat and done nothing because it was too hard. you should be so proud! You look fabulous and I hope you feel great too.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic. Well done !
  • myltlisa24
    myltlisa24 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    wow, you look FANTASTIC!! Great JOB! :drinker: :drinker:
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm far from being an emotional guy... but your story and progress brought a lump to my throat!! Great job!!
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I'm so happy for you and your family that you have regained strength & the ability to walk let alone run! May you be blessed with many MANY years of health! What a great attitude! :flowerforyou:
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Answers to your questions:

I'm 31 years old (just added this into the original post)

I started out walking. Slowly. Painfully slowly. Currently, I run anywhere from 3-10 miles per day. I've only done 8, 9, and 10 mile runs a handful of times. I'd say my average is more like 4-5 miles a day.

Where do I find the time? My local YMCA offers 2 hours of daily babysitting as part of the family membership. I take FULL advantage of that. I recently had a friend ask me if I feel guilty putting the kids in childcare daily so I can exercise. My answer was not at ALL. And I followed up by saying I'd feel a heck of a lot more guilty if I died of a heart attack at age 40, leaving them motherless.

Excellent response!!! You should not feel guilty at all. You are taking care of yourself and your health. What a wonderful gift o yourself and your children!! Congrats on your accomplishment!! You give me hope that it can be done!! Keep it up!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!