LADIES ONLY!! PLEASE!!

Options

Replies

• Lovely_Doll
    Options
    I usually get really bad cramps and the pain killer that I take usually makes me feel super drowsy so I barely exercise on the first day. However, I know that walking/moving your hips so sometimes if I have the energy or if the cramps aren't as bad, I go for long walks.
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I still do my workout, I just do it A LOT slower. rofl
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I push through it.... I feel better when the blood is circulating and my body is rockin' it!!! :) helps also that I'm less bloated since the blood circulation if good. :)
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do something because I feel better afterwards! If you really don't feel like doing intense cardio, there are some yoga moves which help with cramps. Do something light like that, and you may feel better and have less pain!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I just make myself work out. I don't know why women act like getting their period is a reason routine should change. Yea, I do get cramps (i've always gotten really bad cramps) but since I made my lifestyle change, and incorporated working out into my daily routine, my cramps are significantly better/not as bad, and my period is shorter. So HELL YES I work out - every day of my period! :)
  • DivaJadelyn
    DivaJadelyn Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Movement and exercise actually help to relieve cramps. It's hard to break past that first wall, but the activity will help them go away faster.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Deff, Deff, DEFF!!!!! excersice thru your cycle... It will actually HELP your cramps!!!

Usually if I am having a hard time with cramps, I will just take it easier for that day, just go for a long walk, some stretching and light weights (etc) and if you start feeling better you can push it from there!!
  • art3mislecter
    art3mislecter Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You should also avoid carbohydrates, which make cramps worse.

I wasn't aware of that, thank you!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Pop some extra ibuprofin and work out anyway....even if you can't do it at "full power". I used to skip the gym a lot that week till I realized I was really cheating myself by letting something so ridiculous control my life!

Like everyone else said, it really does help with the cramps, bloating and cravings. After a while, you might find that your symptoms improve on a regular basis.

Think about it this way...3 or 4 bad days a month x 12 months = letting THAT thing control over 36-48 days out of each year (now multiply that by the number of years the average woman has to deal with it)!! :noway:
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    it's always helped my cramps but recently I stopped taking my b/c and I'm God aweful tired & SO emotional that all I want to do is cry like a baby in the corner the first 2 days. It sucks but I do find that the exercise helps that a little as well.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I almost always take a rest day on day 1 and sometimes on day 2.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    If I make myself do it, it relieves my cramps & bloat and gives me energy....
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Go work out, get some endorphins released so you feel better, and eat !
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I never exercise during any part of my period where I am bleeding enough to require more than a super tiny pad. I am on BC because my cramps reached a point where they caused me to pass out in pain and I was refractory to all OTC pain meds. Even with the pills I find that if I try to exercise during my period my cramps get exponentially worse. My first 2 days are the worst by far. I try not to move away from my heating pad on those days.

All that said, I find regular exercise when I'm NOT on my period makes it shorter and lighter.

Ps. Midol never worked for me. Only heating pads make a difference and not big enough to allow me freedom of movement for more than a minute. So the idea of "pop a pain killer and do it" would NEVER work in my case. Believe me, I tried and ended up groaning on the floor. I also know one of my friends with ovarian cysts would not try to exercise during least she be laid up for an extra day. Another friend with ovarian cysts always exercises during her period because it helps pop them. I think it really depends on the woman.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You should also avoid carbohydrates, which make cramps worse.

I wasn't aware of that, thank you!

You're welcome! :)
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Mine has never been that bad, but now that I started lifting it has gone from 4 days a week to 2 days per week.....and well I love it!!
  • jadedbutterfly71
    jadedbutterfly71 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I don't work out, my cramps are a LOT worse. I'll notice discomfort before working out, but during and after they almost completely disappear!

Same for me...no matter how bad I'm hurting, a few minutes into my workout, they're gone, or at least to a tolerable level. You know your body...do what you can! :flowerforyou:
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I've probably said this 100 times before on MFP but here goes, again. Women who don't have real, hardcore cramps are probably the only one who say that nonsense that exercise helps cramps. No, it doesn't. Not for me at least. Or any of the women in my family. And I workout 6 days a week normally. I just don't even try on Day 1 anymore.

Sitting still and taking Advil works (Ibuprofen in a prostaglandin inhibitor, so it works, unlike Midol.)

My cramps are exacerbated by exercise, which makes sense because your uterus is a MUSCLE, DUH! I also get the nausea and headache, etc.

Skip the first day and ignore these people who say it helps. If you have real hardcore cramps IT. DOES. NOT. Period (no pun intended.)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Midol really is a lifesaver :)
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I seem to be one of the few that doesn't workout for the first couple of days. I should say, though, with endometriosis, my cramps are often times delibitating, and I usually get sick to my stomach for the entire first day. So working out, for me, I've found generally makes a bad day worse. Mine usually only lasts for about 3-4 days, though, so once the first two days are done, I'm good to go.