Is this common sense? Running outside >>>>> treadmill

Options

Replies

• beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    I'm a numbers person, I like the treadmill because I can 'see' the progress in digital sticks that tell me the how far, how long and how high...

... but I hate making myself go to the gym some days, so I'm more than happy to strap on my shoes and take off like a goofy antelope around the neighborhood.

I use an app on my SmartPhone that gives me all the numbers I need. They are free for both iPhone and Android.

Cool. Heard about it but haven't checked it out. Which one has been good for you? I have an Android. Thanks for the protip.

RunDouble app give you your pace, avg. pace, interval distance and total distance done if thats what you are looking for
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It is WAY harder. I bought a HRM recently and I burn more calories running outside and only running 12 minute miles than I do running 10 minute miles on the treadmill! Although it feels easier to me because I am running at a slower pace, I can tell it takes more of a toll on my body and muscles...which is why I think I'm going to stick to the ole' treadmill. My calves are getting way too muscular from running outside to the point where it looks weird!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've never run on a treadmill, so I can't compare. :tongue: I just started running this past winter, and there were days where I wished I had access to a treadmill, but got myself out there in the cold, the rain, the wind and got it done. Hot weather is coming and I will have to shift my run times to early mornings to beat the heat, too.

I do like running outside, and sometimes think if I had a treadmill, I'd quit sooner than I should! LOL Once I'm a couple of miles away from home, I have to finish the run to get back, no switching off the treadmill and hopping off if I'm feeling lazy. And being outside prepares me for races - I ran my first 5k race on Memorial Day weekend, and it was freakishly cool weather that morning, with a threat of rain. I was glad that I have run in those conditions before and it wasn't any sort of hindrance for me.

Ask me again in a month when the temps have hit 105º - I'll be wanting a treadmill again! :laugh:
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I feel quite the opposite... I think running outside is easier. The treadmill blows.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    The one you aren't used to will feel harder.

This!! I started out on the treadmill but got hooked on outdoor running once I got the hang of it. Now I can't stand the treadmill!
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    I feel quite the opposite... I think running outside is easier. The treadmill blows.

Me too :)
  • BarbraP44
    BarbraP44 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is low impact for those who have bad kness and can't run and is better than no exercise at all.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I find it to be the opposite. I tend to run faster with greater ease outside. But then, I have always been a little different... :wink:

I find I am at least 10% faster outside. I guess when I'm on the treadmill, I don't speed it up when I have more energy, so I lose that speed gain. Outside, I adjust to push my body as hard as it can go, and I'm much faster.

Plus the smell, the sights, the sunshine... soooo much nicer than a treaddy... unless you have a gym with lots to look at. :-P
  • taraleola05
    taraleola05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I actually HATE running on treadmills...and tend to have not very good workouts when I do get on them. What I find helps while on it is that I put my hand towel over all of the numbers, and then it goes a bit faster...but I still hate it!! I feel like I get a better workout outside, because I like the scenery and just get lost in the rhythm :)

Tara Leola*~
  • ejritter
    ejritter Posts: 3
    Options
    I loathe the treadmill for running. Maybe that's because I started running outside. Inside, I feel like I'm a hamster on a wheel. I just started running again (restarting my 5K training program) and just can't do it on the treadmill. I tried, but just can't seem to enjoy it. The only think I like is knowing my calorie count.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    The only time I use my treadmill is when I feel like I need a short, low impact run. I love the road so much more.

I may use it in the future more, because it is a good tool to use for intervals to set a pace and get used to what it feels like. But you could also do that on a track or road if you have a GPS device.
  • BigH80
    BigH80 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i AM ALSO OPPOSITE!I feel like treadmill running is harder than outside running!
    i find the same thing. I enjoy running outside more than the treadmill by far.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing these posts, and it's kinda freaking me out. I'm on week 5 of C25K, and I'm really loving it (on my treadmill.) My plan is to work up a little more endurance (probably a week or two more on the treadmill) and then take it outside to get ready for a 5K I want to run in October. It's looking like I should anticipate kinda sucking once I go outside, huh?

You need to start working in outdoor runs. They are very different. You don't want to realize this right before your race. Although if your race is not until October you have time. When you do start on the road, start slowly as your joints will not be used to it. Go back and forth between road and treadmill for a few weeks before going mostly road.
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have issues with treadmills because I have a tendency to fall off of them.

So outside FTW.
    :laugh:

I've never even run on a treadmill.. but I guarantee, I would be the kinda person to go and fall off one too!!

Don't think I will ever really give the treadmill a go, I enjoy outside too much.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    Oddly enough, I find it to be the opposite. I tend to run faster with greater ease outside. But then, I have always been a little different... :wink:

I am the same. I run faster outside. I used the treadmill once and it took me so much longer to run the same distance. I did not care too much for the 'bounce'. lol

Me too! Without even trying, I run significantly faster (and with greater ease) outside than I do on a treadmill. But I love both for different reasons.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    I have issues with treadmills because I have a tendency to fall off of them.

So outside FTW.
    :laugh:

I've never even run on a treadmill.. but I guarantee, I would be the kinda person to go and fall off one too!!

Don't think I will ever really give the treadmill a go, I enjoy outside too much.

Lol, I fall/trip when I run outside :blushing:
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    this right in my wheelhouse...either way is cool with me...treadmills are fine (for me) b/c I like the fact if I need to drink that all my stuff is right in front of me...thus I help alot of folks out who are beside me to push them to go a little more...outside is great like you said fresh air, scenery etc...though I have never been chased by a dog in my gym lol...

Good on you for sharing your success by helping others.... That's not something I hear everyday!

Last year I ran exclusively outside and really enjoyed it. I joined the gym 2 weeks ago and have been using the treadmill, I do like it but find it more difficult to get correct posture and form than when I ran outside...
  • SVallatini
    SVallatini Posts: 49
    Options
    I hit the pavement alright....busted up both knees and hands. Still have the scars to prove it. Not wanting to take any chances with falling again, finally bought a treadmill and have a love/hate relationship with it. I would much rather be outside, but being on the mill allows me to focus on the task at hand which is running, not falling on the concrete. Most important thing is to exercise and do what feels right for each person. Treadmill for some and outdoors for others, it's all good!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing these posts, and it's kinda freaking me out. I'm on week 5 of C25K, and I'm really loving it (on my treadmill.) My plan is to work up a little more endurance (probably a week or two more on the treadmill) and then take it outside to get ready for a 5K I want to run in October. It's looking like I should anticipate kinda sucking once I go outside, huh?

You need to start working in outdoor runs. They are very different. You don't want to realize this right before your race. Although if your race is not until October you have time. When you do start on the road, start slowly as your joints will not be used to it. Go back and forth between road and treadmill for a few weeks before going mostly road.

I agree!! Get on the road well before the race! I remember when I was running 5 miles on the treaddy just fine... I took my first 6 mile to the road (road running for the first time in years) and my calves and shins hurt so bad, it felt like I'd never run before. Plus it was the hardest 6 miles I've run in a long time. That said - not to scare you - I bounced back quickly and ran my 7 miler outside with better strength and comfort... you just don't want to leave it too close to the race (to be safe)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the only thing i like about running outside is the tan i get and seeing some hot guys, but honestly i prefer having some place to put my towel and water bottle instead of having to carry it :laugh: