Is this common sense? Running outside >>>>> treadmill

Options

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm a numbers person, I like the treadmill because I can 'see' the progress in digital sticks that tell me the how far, how long and how high...

... but I hate making myself go to the gym some days, so I'm more than happy to strap on my shoes and take off like a goofy antelope around the neighborhood.

I use an app on my SmartPhone that gives me all the numbers I need. They are free for both iPhone and Android.

Cool. Heard about it but haven't checked it out. Which one has been good for you? I have an Android. Thanks for the protip.

Runkeeper and MapMyRun are two free popular ones.

I'm on dailymile.com too, which is great and includes a mapping tool and news feed like MFP. I use my Garmin Forerunner 410 to get all the numbers.

And to those who say you can't get a real workout outside, I totally disagree. I do hill repeats, hill sprints, long slow runs, tempo runs... you can also throw in track work though I don't because I feel the track is as boring as the treadmill.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    10 miles mon and 10 tues on treadmill ...love it
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill harder. I find myself staring at the timer the whole time. Whereas outside I can get into a zone and I feel great at the end of it!! :-)

I use Map My Run on the iphone to do the tracking :-)
  • ellesince1993
    Options
    yeah, running outside is way better, when i'm on the treadmill i just stare at the distance and time which is so depressing. however, i live in New Zealand and it's cold and running outside is not really an option in winter :/
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Harder, more challenging, more interesting.... treadmills are sooooo boring!

I agree that the numbers are fun though, but now I have a Garmin Forerunner I get pace, speed, distance, heart rate etc on my wrist so I'm happy!

Although if I lived in a crazy cold climate like some of you do I would probably look for a treadmill in winter so I didn't have to stop running, but I so much prefer to be outside.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I loathe the treadmill for running. Maybe that's because I started running outside. Inside, I feel like I'm a hamster on a wheel. I just started running again (restarting my 5K training program) and just can't do it on the treadmill. I tried, but just can't seem to enjoy it. The only think I like is knowing my calorie count.

Calorie count on the treadmills aren't always very correct anyway. I'd suggest getting a HRM. Then you will have accurate numbers and be enjoying the outdoors :-)

Map My Run app on the iphone is great for tracking time, pace etc
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Next, try trails. A whole new level of tough, plus soooo beautiful. You will never go back to the dreadmill. :)
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ok, don't laugh, but I like the treadmill because the bathroom is fifteen feet away. I love running outside, but it SUCKS when that problem arises and there isn't a 7-11 for miles. And sometimes you just can't go behind a tree, if you know what I mean.

But seriously, I do love having a treadmill, because it gives me options. On those busy days, I couldn't squeeze my run in later in the evening without it.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Ok, don't laugh, but I like the treadmill because the bathroom is fifteen feet away. I love running outside, but it SUCKS when that problem arises and there isn't a 7-11 for miles. And sometimes you just can't go behind a tree, if you know what I mean.

But seriously, I do love having a treadmill, because it gives me options. On those busy days, I couldn't squeeze my run in later in the evening without it.

What do you mean, you just can't go behind a tree? Of course you can! I guess that's a good thing about living in the country, plenty of privacy. Only the cows know....
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that's scared to try running on the treadmill? lol I'm scared half to death that I'll fall flat on my face when I crank the speed...
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do both.
    Running outside is great, but living in Canada, that's an option for about only half the year. I sunburn really easily and since I sweat allot, the sunscreen lotions fail quickly, so I prefer to run at dusk or in the evening (with a cool breeze, it's heaven!). That being said, I find concrete and asphalt to take its toll on my knees, so I try to run only every other day and alternate treadmill (easier on my knees) and outside runs.
    On the treadmill, I always run at a 2.0% incline, which I found helps me get a better "feel" of an outside run.

As for scenery, I'm as focussed inside or out, so I really don't pay attention to the scenery...only to the cars that could run me over outside! :)
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I prefer the road to the treadmill. I love feeling like I'm actually going somewhere and the treadmill is too easy to give up on and hit the "stop" button.

However, I live in Phoenix and it's too hot to jog even at night so the treadmill is where I'll be for the next few months. :( It's a small price to pay for being able to jog outside without worrying about snow or ice the other 9 months of the year. I'm so looking forward to being able to run for a long time in 50 degree weather this fall. :)
  • Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I push myself harder outside and end up with shin splints. It's much easier to ramp up my pace gradually and under precise control on a treadmill and avoid the debilitating pain that leaves me hesitant to so much as jog for days (weeks, if I tried to keep running). Ugh.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am used to running outside, so when I run on the treadmill (which is very infrequently), it just feels "weird." It seems like it is harder physically for me to run outside but harder mentally to run on the treadmill. I am sure if I ran on it more it wouldn't seem so different to me.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do both and like some others have said it's much easier to run faster outside. I think if I only ever ran on a treadmill then it might be hard to make the switch, but doing both regularly I'm used to both. For some reason I can never hit my outside pace as easily on a treadmill, it feels like a much harder effort. I do always keep my incline on 1.5 to add to difficulty and usually once a week do some hills on a 5.0 incline to make sure I don't lose that edge in a race. Last February I did a half marathon and because my training was during the winter, I did all my shorter and hill runs on a treadmill and my long runs on the indoor track at the rec center and I was able to nail my pace in the race as planned. And in the heat of a Texas summer, treadmills are a life saver! They work for me!
  • DogsK
    DogsK Posts: 94
    Options
    I fine I feel better and actually do better running outside than on the treadmill. Must be serenity cause no one close by wants to run. Just me, the dirt roads and bush. Tons better than the gym.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I run inside and outside and I prefer outside most. I bought a good pair of running shoes and they help so much w/ pavement running. Also a HRM will tell you your speed and calories burned given you measure your stride right. I also like to run outside to enjoy God's creation and when its sunny out I get a free tan:wink:
  • ElizabethJ17
    ElizabethJ17 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    In week three of my couch to 5k program. Went for a walk tonight with my two girls in their stroller which turned into a jog/walk for a mile outside. It was my first time jogging outside since I have started my program and I loved it! It was a lot more challenging as I usually run with 0% incline on the treadmill. Can't wait to go out and try more!