Does the American Red Cross stalk you too?

Options
124»

Replies

• bikechic61
    Options
    I recently became a platelet donor for the first time. 25 years ago when my Mom was a cancer patient I was in the hospital giving blood. I have a rare blood type and I give whenever it's not going to compromise myself or the safety of others. It makes me feel sick and I fainted once. The nature of my job demands that I am in perfect health while doing my job, so I have to wait until after my work day to give and then not have t drive very far from home to do it. Well, that day when my Mom was in the hospital and I was giving blood, the hospital nurse told me I'd be a good candidate to give platelets, which are extracted through Apheresis donation. One needle is inserted in one arm and another needle goes into the other arm to put blood back in because they only need some of your platelets. I took one look at the guy in the chair and decided not to do that but still gave my regular pint.

I did feel quite guilty though because a cancer patient and other people with blood diseases need platelet donations. I already have an issue with needles so I tried to do whole blood donations as often as I safely could.

25 years after that I finally got the courage to be an apheresis donor. The Red Cross nurse told me I have an enormous amount of platelets. But here's the thing.. it took an hour and a half to get the platelets out of me, which is normal. But they put an anticoagulant in one vein so your blood doesn't coagulate as its going back in. It causes tinging and numbness. There are being studies done by universities to determine if there are long range health consequences to being an Apheresis donor. One nurse I know personally, says the Red Cross downplays the health consequences to being an apheresis donor and they paint a rosy picture so people will be willing to donate.

And yes, they call me twice a day. I don't answer because I know they will lay a guilt trip on me. When my Mom had caner 25 years ago she did have a problem with blood levels being high enough to take her chemo. She eventually succumbed to the disease, so I know I am prone to being affected by the guilt trip. As far as I see it, I will donate when and IF it will not destroy my health or jeopardize my ability to do my job and maintain my fitness program.

I wish they would quit calling me.
  • bikechic61
    Options
    Ha! I'm 52. That would go over well!:noway: ( Telling them I'm pregnant to get them off my back! )
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You have to tell them, "Take me off of your call list. Right now." While they have you on the phone. Never say "stop calling" or they will continue to.

I worked at Red Cross as a phlebotomist. Our donors always got angry at us, but we have NO control over it. Whatsoever. That is a completely different branch. In fact, they were even doing it to me after I donated at work once.

If the call list thing does not work, tell them they have the wrong number and you are not "Amber Kuhlman." That's the only way I've been able to keep everyone from Red Cross as well as bill collectors from calling me back LoL
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I got malaria while serving overseas in a country that shall remain nameless, they stopped calling me after that. There is a list of countries in South America that will get you taken off.