1234568»

Replies

• HealthynSatisfied
    Options
    this a great question. I am going to keep my eye on the commentaries
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I spend around $100 a month on groceries; looks like some people need to learn how to shop savings and lay off pointless name brands and expensive junk food...

That was very judgemental. My neighbourhood grocery store does not really have sales like chain stores do as it's a fresh market. There is no processed food and no "no name" option as it's not packaged goods. Also where I live there are occasionally coupons to save maybe 0.25 cents, and they're one coupon per customer per transaction type deals.

To OP: We spend about $120 a week for groceries. That's all fresh fruit and veggies, farm raised/free range meat and eggs, almond milk. We don't often buy bread but when we do it's fresh baked. Every now and then we might get some ice cream or something. So I feel like that's not too bad.

I eat between 1200-1500, and the BF eats around 1700.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    About $350 for 2 adults. My intake is about 1,800 cals hubby doesn't watch what he takes in. We eat a little bit of everything, and that figure includes going out 2-3 times a month.
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    Sweetness, Until you have children...you can most certainly but only what YOU need. Add a few kids in and your wants and needs go out the window. Buying enough to feed a family of four will add up before you've even put the first thing in the cart. If you plan on spending $100 a month for the rest of your life, I suggest not having a family!

Lol I understand that having some kids would easily increase the amount spent every month, and I realistically don't expect to only be spending $100 the rest of my life. But just because you have kids that does not mean wants and needs go out the window, just because a kid cries that he wants pepsi and doritos that does not mean you have to buy them for him/her lol. You can still shop for your needs when you have kids.
  • renee_sutter
    Options
    We spend $320-400 monthly (80-100 weekly) for 2 adults, and one child. This includes not just groceries, but diapers, wipes, cleaning items, cat food/litter, personal items, etc too.

I eat 1200 daily, my husband is 2300 or so daily. We buy meat, veggies, etc but our meal plans are centered around the weekly deals/sales and I work hard to incorporate it into a healthy meal that would serve our entire family and fit our calorie needs.

I used to coupon a lot, but found it just drove me to buy things i normally wouldn't. We buy generic if it's just as good as name brand, watch for deals, and stock up when the price is right :) Our large freezer helps with this tremendously. We go simple on lunches, like a low sodium soup that is less than $2 bucks and fills my husband up. We usually stick to the same foods for breakfast and lunch, that are lower in cost but filling and only rotate the dinner meal variety.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    around $175 per month for me... I eat about 1800 cal/day and cook dinner for both myself and my boyfriend and he eats a ton. When I was single, I was barely spending $100 per month. There's no telling what he spends on himself eating out....I eat all meats, veggies, anything. I have cut most processed and all junk foods out of my grocery shopping and am still hanging around $175. And a lot of it has to do with which stores you end up going to and which fruits and veggies are in season.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    400-500$ a month for a family of 4 (more or less)
    2 adults (one extremely picky vegetarian, lol)
    2 Kids (one 13 yro boy, and a 9yo girl)
    this includes all household cleaning products and personal products (soaps, and what not)
    My cals run about 1500 per day, every one else in the fam. does not count
    I live near Ottawa ON Canada.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    This gives you a good idea of average costs, based on 4 different levels:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/2011/CostofFoodMay2011.pdf

I personally am willing to pay more for food my family likes. That includes fancy cheeses which cost about $16.00/lb. And organic fruits and vegetables. I am not a food snob, but I feel some of my organically grown purchases expose less land and farm workers to pesticides, so I'm willing to pay a premium. I also think it's healthier (though that is certainly debatable).

While I spend more on food, I save in other ways. I don't buy many clothes and no cosmetics, for instance. So that's just the way we roll.
  • BelizaJ
    BelizaJ Posts: 2
    Options
    Organic produce is expensive, especially when you juice. It's actually cheaper to buy junk food and processed food.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    around $175 per month for me... I eat about 1800 cal/day and cook dinner for both myself and my boyfriend and he eats a ton. When I was single, I was barely spending $100 per month. There's no telling what he spends on himself eating out....I eat all meats, veggies, anything. I have cut most processed and all junk foods out of my grocery shopping and am still hanging around $175. And a lot of it has to do with which stores you end up going to and which fruits and veggies are in season.

Very true.
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    I am a single adult that lies at home with her parents and older brother. I am encharge (or try to be, it is hard when your Senior Citizen parents goes behind your back) of the grocery shopping. We spend about $800 or more a month. I cut-out hundreds of $$ a month in coupons, subcribe to 3 sunday papers, print out tons of coupons online, grow my own garden (that cost $20 a year but saves $200), and I stock-pill.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yesterday and today, I did the bulk of my grocery shopping for the next two weeks. Spent $192 (for a family of 3, two adults and one two year old). This is almost entirely fruits and veggies (except for about $7 worth of chicken), some sauces/marinades, and does not include staples like lentils, rice and other Indian spices. Including those, probably looking at the $500/month ballpark, and we are not big meat eaters.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I spend about $500-800 for two. We are trying to eat clean/ organic/ natural. Before that, I spent about a third of what I do now.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I looked at our budget and it seems we spend around $300-$350 a month at most including take out.
    We keep a vegetarian/kosher-dairy household (husband is not) and split a CSA share with my parents for most of our produce.
    My family makes a lot of our own stuff from scratch- breads, jams, soy/almond milks, etc and trade them off.
    Guessing my husband eats around 2000 calories a day
    I am up to 2200 calories a day as I am eating for two!
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    Options
    $50-60 per week for me and sometimes $40
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between $650 and $700 a month for a family of four. I aim for 1800 kcals. We're omnivores trying to eat mostly whole foods, local when possible (desert, man). When I was vegan we spent significantly less, like $150 less a month, but food prices have gone up too. I'd say we could reasonably cut down to the $500's and eat healthfully, but my husband is a junk food addict (expensive) and I'm a health food nut (also expensive).
  • PsiChi
    PsiChi Posts: 157
    Options
    About $200 for me and the reason is 1) I shop at the Co-Op which is a grocerry store that is 90% supplied by local farmers so it has a little bit more cost 2) all the product are 100% organic/natural and 3) I buy a good about of lean meat, and chicken.