Rushfit vs. TapouT XT - My review/opinion/observation.

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Would it really be such a big deal if I did the work out and then played basketball later in the day?

If it was a regular thing yes it would. When you do rigorous exercises you're intentionally damaging the muscles in a way to take advantage of the changes they go though while healing. Allowing them rest to heal is important.
  • MastaPaPz
    Options
    Any suggestions? The basketball time is only about 40 mins. I play tues morning, wed night and sunday morning. Should i just subsitute those days with basketball and not do the work out those days?
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Any suggestions? The basketball time is only about 40 mins. I play tues morning, wed night and sunday morning. Should i just subsitute those days with basketball and not do the work out those days?

Yes. The Rushfit schedule allows for that actually which is why it is the best option for people who actively play sports. It was designed as a strength/circuit training companion for people who already get their cardio by attenting martial arts classes, so the schedule leaves cardio days up to you.
  • kgardin674
    Options
    Thank you for this blog... very thorough. I am going to order the Tapout XT for more Cardio, and my goal is to start doing Crossfit again. I think I just like a lot of variety, but I hate having to drive somewhere to workout. Time is everything in my world!
  • tiggern24
    tiggern24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find Mike Karpenko in TapouT XT to be incredibly motivational! He is always pushing me to do better!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I did a week of Rushfit then quit. I just couldn't adapt to the slow, boring pace. Truth be told, I don't necessarily see how the program would have benefited me in the long run, either. However, I did like Eric's personality and coaching style. It's true that he is all business (and sometimes robotic), But I appreciated the fact that safety seemed to be his number one priority. If there was ever any move that I had difficulty with, he would always show a modification. I decided to do a second round of Insanity, in which I'm halfway through the first month. I've been wanting to try TapoutXT for a while, so I'll probably do that after this round.
  • globalkilla
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of TapouT XT, I find it a really fun engaging workout that never fails to kick my butt. However after watching this video on Rushfit it really makes me want to try it. Anyone tried mixing TapouT and Rushfit together, say doing alternative weeks on each? Or is it best to just stick to one program at a time and follow the scheduled?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQkCvcAi_U
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of TapouT XT, I find it a really fun engaging workout that never fails to kick my butt. However after watching this video on Rushfit it really makes me want to try it. Anyone tried mixing TapouT and Rushfit together, say doing alternative weeks on each? Or is it best to just stick to one program at a time and follow the scheduled?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQkCvcAi_U

You would do better following the schedule for the duration.
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    Hi, Excellent review and advice in this thread so thank you.

I am looking for a new routine and have never tried any of these work at home DVD programmes before. I have looked at both and being based in the UK it looks like Rushfit is better for me as they deliver to the UK whilst Tapout XT does not. However, I was just doing some research and came across a couple of other options and wondered if you had any views or opinions on the http://athleanx.com/ programme. Its more of an online programme than a DVD programme but looks pretty decent and looks like good value.

My main goal is to lose bodyfat whilst improving functional strength and endurance. I have done a lot of weight training previously and have my own bench and DB's etc. However, I fancy doing more bodyweight type exercises and mixing it up a bit so thought I would give this a go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Hi, Excellent review and advice in this thread so thank you.

I am looking for a new routine and have never tried any of these work at home DVD programmes before. I have looked at both and being based in the UK it looks like Rushfit is better for me as they deliver to the UK whilst Tapout XT does not. However, I was just doing some research and came across a couple of other options and wondered if you had any views or opinions on the http://athleanx.com/ programme. Its more of an online programme than a DVD programme but looks pretty decent and looks like good value.

My main goal is to lose bodyfat whilst improving functional strength and endurance. I have done a lot of weight training previously and have my own bench and DB's etc. However, I fancy doing more bodyweight type exercises and mixing it up a bit so thought I would give this a go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Athlean-X is actually a great program that I try to recommend to people whenever I can, but most people do not like to do a program based on PDF documents and would rather use a DVD. Highly recommend Athlean-X! But if you favor bodyweight training (I know I do) then both Rushfit and TapouT XT will be good as they are mostly bodyweight with a little weight/band work thrown in. Rushfit IMO is the better of the two.
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    Athlean-X is actually a great program that I try to recommend to people whenever I can, but most people do not like to do a program based on PDF documents and would rather use a DVD. Highly recommend Athlean-X! But if you favor bodyweight training (I know I do) then both Rushfit and TapouT XT will be good as they are mostly bodyweight with a little weight/band work thrown in. Rushfit IMO is the better of the two.

Personally, I think I prefer the PDF approach... I can always check online for correct form etc and I work out in my garage where I don't have a TV. I did a similar programme a few years back when I did the Men's Health Belly Off programme designed by Craig Ballantyne, the author of Turbulence Training and it was excellent and worked wonders. So Athlean-X could be right up my street.

Once again, thanks for the advice!
  • mosse33
    mosse33 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi
    U keep saying change the routine in tapout xt
    Could u give us a example

I walk a lot for a living 3-4 hrs a day and was wondering about a routine that would suit this

Thanks
  • mosse33
    mosse33 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I have read this entire thread and I still don't know which workout to pick.

I like les mills combat, chalean extreme, turbo fire, and turbo jam.

I did not like p90x

And insanity was very unforgiving for the joints

I eventually want muscle definition and strength, but do have some fat to lose first. I know there is a lot of debate on if you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time, but if I can I'd certainly like to. What do you suggest?

Edit... The reason I didn't like p90x is bc it didn't hold my attention whatsoever basically. The workouts seemed unnecessarily long and drawn out. There were moves I liked but it just bored me. I think it was mainly bc the warmup was so long and I wanted tony to just stop talking and also bc I was used to the slow and controlled pace of clx
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I did not like p90x

I eventually want muscle definition and strength, but do have some fat to lose first. I know there is a lot of debate on if you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time, but if I can I'd certainly like to. What do you suggest?

Edit... The reason I didn't like p90x is bc it didn't hold my attention whatsoever basically. The workouts seemed unnecessarily long and drawn out. There were moves I liked but it just bored me. I think it was mainly bc the warmup was so long and I wanted tony to just stop talking and also bc I was used to the slow and controlled pace of clx

The reason P90X was unnecessarily long and drawn out was because of the heavy emphasis on isolation training. This is a necessary evil when you're working with only dumbbells and don't have access to a barbell with heavier weights so that you can do compound training.

The first mistake you're making is in saying "I have fat to lose first." You assume that you can't shed the fat while increasing functional strength at the same time. You can, it just will not necessarily be reflected as much on the scale. What equipment do you have access to?
  • Molly182
    Options

I did not like p90x

The reason P90X was unnecessarily long and drawn out was because of the heavy emphasis on isolation training. This is a necessary evil when you're working with only dumbbells and don't have access to a barbell with heavier weights so that you can do compound training.

The first mistake you're making is in saying "I have fat to lose first." You assume that you can't shed the fat while increasing functional strength at the same time. You can, it just will not necessarily be reflected as much on the scale. What equipment do you have access to?

That's fair. I'm fine with relying on how my clothes fit over the # on the scale. I have 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20 & 25 pound dumbbells
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I did not like p90x

That's fair. I'm fine with relying on how my clothes fit over the # on the scale. I have 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20 & 25 pound dumbbells

Given the equipment you have available I would heavily lean toward Rushfit.
  • Molly182
    Options
    Thanks!
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm a 43 year old Martial Artist, who is in decent shape (i've lost almost 30 lbs), but wants to supplement his training with a Martial Arts-based workout system. Now, i see you've been comparing Rushfit with Tapout XT, but i was thinking of getting Les Mills Combat instead. Which one of the three would you recommend?

Les Mills Combat is a cardio-specific kickboxing program that basically is a home version of the Les Mills Bodycombat classes held in gyms. It's not as good as the actual classes conducted in class rooms, and it is pretty much strictly cardio, so if your regular training does not include strength training it's not ideal. Think of it as Tae Bo only more resembling actual kickboxing. The question is how do you plan to get your strength training in? Combat is ideal if you already have strength training you're doing on your own.

LM Combat does have two 30 minute strength training workouts (Hiit: Power & Upper Body), though I believe they are only available on the upgraded package as opposed to the basic one. They both include a bunch of weighted squats, clean presses and power presses. I use 15lb dumbbells at the moment, and they leave me knackered for the next day or so, but maybe that's because my shoulders are a bit weak :blushing:

Thanks so much for this review, and for taking the time to respond to people's questions. I saw the Tapout commercial ages ago and considered getting it. I'd never heard of Rushfit before. I will research definitely consider your opinion upon checking them out when I'm shopping for my next programme :flowerforyou:
  • itzCoffeeTime
    Options
    Great thread. I like the detailed write up and I was wondering if you are familiar with Bas Rutten's mma workout? I was doing his workout almost exclusively for a couple months and saw great results. Are these comparable to that type of system? thanks