3 yr old Son has Chronic Eczema...

Options

Replies

• dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Haven't had time to read all the replies but both of my girls have had severe eczema in the past. What has worked for them is a good quality emollient cream that also helps to rebuild the skin's barrier. They both have steroid creams for if the eczema flares up or gets inflamed, but they are not the main part of the treatment - the emollient is. Most emollients prescribed by doctors only moisturise the skin, but this is not enough. Bearing in mind that there are different types of eczema - in many cases it's caused by the skin barrier lacking a protein which makes the skin barrier water soluble, and so it washes away in water, leaving the skin open to allergens and bacteria etc. The solution lies in rebuilding and protecting the skin's natural barrier, which is what a good emollient cream does. The ones that worked for my kids are: Unguentum M (that's the name it goes by in the UK) and Cetaphil mositurising cream (the one we buy in Saudi) - these are quite thick creams, and they moisturise while also starting to build up the skin's natural protective layer. They don't contain any actual drugs/medicines, they're a particular mixture of oils. Baby Sebamed extra soft baby cream also works in a similar way but is not as thick/strong.

For both of them, steriod creams (hydrocortizone + antibiotic, the one we used is called fucicort) were used when it was severe, in addition to the emollient, then as the eczema calmed down, the steroid cream was stopped and the emollient used regularly

in addition: we don't bath them too often, we use eczema friendly skin products only (baby Sebamed is the brand that we use) and keep alkaline things away from the skin. Most soaps, bath products wash products are alkali, and this will strip away the skin's barrier which is already weak in someone who has eczema. People with strong skin barriers can use these products, but even they may experience some drying with excessive use. So we stick to products that are designed for eczema, and all these are pH balanced and are formulated to protect the skin barrier rather than stripping it away. When towel drying, we pat them dry, rather than rubbing (again to protect the skin's barrier). The older one was allergic to dairy and eggs but has grown out of the allergies, she is still prone to eczema if she uses the wrong kind of soap (something we have to watch because she'd rather use the same pink nice smelling soap as her friends, the baby sebamed one is white and doesn't smell of anything much!!) - the younger one has food allergies as well but she comes up in hives shortly after eating them so they're easy to identify, compared to (say) a child where the allergy comes on several hours later and you don't know what caused it.

I hope this helps, it does depend on the type of eczema, and all the above was following the advice of dermatologists (not GPs who generally prescribe the same creams for any kind of eczema without understanding the different types and which creams are best for which type, which part of the body etc (your skin is not the same all over your body)) - there are many different types of steroid creams of varying strengths and some with other added medicines, plus there are many different kinds of emollients and the dermatologists I've spoken to say that the core treatment of eczema is in having the right emollient cream, and this has certainly proven to be true for us. I also used to get really bad eczema which has cleared up following the same advice as this, but with different creams to my kids (because I'm an adult). The emollient creams can be bought off prescription as they don't contain any actual medicine, only oils, but it's probably best to see a good dermatologist as there are different kinds of eczema and many different kinds of creams.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My first thought was Vitamin D deficiency. Was he breastfed? Anyway, I did a quick search to see if it was possible and found this:

"Oral vitamin D may help prevent some skin infections

A study led by researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine suggests that use of oral Vitamin D supplements bolsters production of a protective chemical normally found in the skin, and may help prevent skin infections that are a common result of atopic dermatitis, the most common form of eczema."

Please don't give him this, but definitely have his D levels checked!! This is more common in the northern states. (I've done a lot of research on Vit D for my melanoma.

I was thinking vitamin D after a few commenters said eczema improved while out in sun. maybe test his vitamin D - hydroxy 25 status.

Also, this may be helpful protocol to follow for eczema:
    1. Some kind of topical/skin relief - antibacterial skin lotion (natural)
    2. Improve skin quality - cod liver oil (recommended which is vitamin A and D)
    3. Reduce inflammation - omega 3

And the main one obviously repair the gut with probiotics, multi vitamin and mineral and avoiding those foods allergenic, irritating to gut.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone who suggested an elimination diet.

Also a child's Omega 3 can really help as well.

Vitamin D is worth checking out, like others suggested.

Has he ever had thrush or had antibiotics or anything? Sometimes a child's probiotic can be beneficial (don't just give him yogurt if you're trying to figure out allergies. Look into an actual supplemental form).
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    We stopped using any scented soaps (make my own), and when the skin was super bad we used vegtable oil on her skin (recommended by dr.) and you cannot believe how it worked. We used loose fitting pants and long sleeve t-shirts. It was about a 3 year journey for us with 1 year being full body most of the time, then it went to elbows and knees (back side) until about 4th grade. Haven't had any issues since. I wanted to add that bath time was far and few between.
  • kllyeve
    kllyeve Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would also have him evaluated for possible digestive issues - Some IBD and IBS sufferers report problems with Extra-Intestinal Manifestations such as Excema or Psoirisis.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    A trip to a good allergist would help.

This- my girls had a lot of food allergies which caused severe eczema for years.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I get AWFUL eczema on both my hands- nowhere else. I've used 2 perscriptions- flucinalone (sp?) with some success, but it's very much like vaseline in texture. Right now I'm using Clobetasol (again, sp?), which is more like a lotion, it's like a .02 steroid. Avoid anything scented! I cannot stress this enough. I use detergents that say 'for sensitive skin' on them. Curel lotion is amazing as well!
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I hope you find the help you need. I was lucky, my daughter had eczema from 2months and it was HORRIBLE blood, scratching I had to sleep with her in my arms because she'd never stop. I took her to a dermatologist and she told me it was infantile ezcema and she'd grow out of it. I've heard of it being related to allergies and have yet to find her with any. She's now 2 and has completely grown out of it at about 12 months of age. Once in awhile if she gets really hot she breaks out (like dry heat in the winter) but no allergies and she eats EVERYTHING drinks EVERYTHING.. But I feel you're pain on the bandaging them up etc, some of my family wouldn't even pick her up because they felt so bad for her. Goodluck!!
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I hope you find the help you need. I was lucky, my daughter had eczema from 2months and it was HORRIBLE blood, scratching I had to sleep with her in my arms because she'd never stop. I took her to a dermatologist and she told me it was infantile ezcema and she'd grow out of it. I've heard of it being related to allergies and have yet to find her with any. She's now 2 and has completely grown out of it at about 12 months of age. Once in awhile if she gets really hot she breaks out (like dry heat in the winter) but no allergies and she eats EVERYTHING drinks EVERYTHING.. But I feel you're pain on the bandaging them up etc, some of my family wouldn't even pick her up because they felt so bad for her. Goodluck!!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    In the meantime lots of Aveeno/oatmeal based lotion. Ir really helps with the itching.
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I had it bad as a kid and still have some major patches on the backs of my legs and folds of my arms... The best thing you can do is 1) keep her skin moisturized... Neosporin makes an eczema therapy lotion that works GREAT !!... its a bit pricey but the relief shell get is WELL worth the money ... 2) and this one is easy ... Get her out in the sun ... The dermatologist told me sun is the BEST thing for my skin .. Not that youll go to this extent but if I get a good sunburn ,,, Im totally clear for about 2 weeks..

Hope this helps
  • optimistic101
    optimistic101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hi, my eldest son also suffered badly with this when he was younger, from 3 months old his skin was always so weepy and peeling of him, [his dad has same thing], i didnt cut out dairy product as it didnt make any difference [he eats everything and anything]. I only ever put cotton clothing next to his skin, washed all his clothes in non-bio detergent then put them through another wash with no detergent just to make sure they wer well rinsed, ran his bath water through oats tied in a cloth, used a flannel instead of a sponge to wash him [it removes dead skin better as its rougher], kept the heating turned down and water in the rooms to keep moisture in the air.
    The best thing i found was the product range from "Dead Sea Magic" found in local health store.
    The hospital gave us lotions/potions/creams to bath him in and cover him in up to 10 times a day, but sometimes they where so greasy and thick that they irritated him even more.
    He is 15 now and has beautiful clear skin, he would have some rare flare ups of dry skin [nothing major] that a good moisturiser will clear up, he will always have exzema but can control it much better now, [unlike his dad who still flares up so bad he ends up on steroid tablets or in hospital].
    Your son might just grow out of it, I hope you find some of this helpful,
    Best wishes
  • MotivatedMom2012
    Options
    Hiya, I work with a health and wellness company that specifically helps people with problems like eczema. I've been doing this for 4.5 years. I'm so sorry your son has this condition...it's not fun to deal with. But if you make some changes and stick with it I promise you will see results.

First of all - you need to switch your laundry products to natural products. Chemical residue left on clothes after washing can cause skin irritations.

Also, switch all shampoos and soaps that he uses to natural products.

Also, you'll need a good lotion that has been proven to work with eczema.

He needs a GOOD multivitamin - they are not created equally. Most vitamins on the market today crystallize during digestion and your body cannot absorb them. Centrum, one a day, GNC, Flinstone's, etc...these have been proven in recent research to have less than 10% absorption!!! A good vitamin and good healthy eating will boost immune system. Problems with immune system have been something found in many who suffer from eczema.

So shop around, ask about their absorption rates and ask for info and research to back that up. Otherwise you are wasting your money... In one end, out the other :)

I would also suggest to keep afood diary for him. Pay attention to the severity or improvement...many times skin irritations can be linked to food intolerances or allergies...Talk with your DR they can do allergy test to know for sure.

Hope that helps!!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Fresh fruits and veggies in juice form help. I'll get you the recipes in my book
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I know you're asking about food and I am so sorry I don't have a reply for you on this matter but my little grand-nephew also suffers from it- I can check with his my niece to find out what she feeds him (he is about 4 now). I know she indicated she had some pretty good results from using African Black Soap to bathe him and then she uses Cetaphil cream as a body lotion. The Cetaphil is the one in the jar not the liquid-you can find it in Walmart or Target-it runs about $12 for a jar. The Africian Black soap-not sure where you live but I have seen it in some beauty supply stores in South Florida. She also recently started them (she has 2 boys) on "Juice Plus" gummie vitamins and seems to feel this helps also :smile: Good luck with the little one!
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    I know I keep saying it but Thank you so much, I honestly felt so alone until I posted this on here and I am so grateful for you all taking the time out of your lives to reply and help a desperate mum and desperate little boy :-)

Someone asked if I breastfed, I didn't he was straight onto formula milk from day one. When he hit 12 months he was off milk altogether and he only drinks Water, he hasn't ever touched fruit juices or Cows Milk since 1 year old. At the minute I literally bath him in 2 secs like in wash hair back out, but I will be taking the advice of leaving him in for about 10minutes so his Skin soaks up the moisture. I will be getting natural Shampoo to wash his hair too as I didn't even think about the shampoo running onto his skin causing damage. I will be looking for unscented tabs / Washing powder and wash his clothes seperate from me and his dad.

I must say the sunshine does help his skin, So when I get him allergy tested I will ask for his Vitiman D levels to be checked also.

At the minute these are the creams / Oils I have tried
    Aveeno - I have been using The moisturiing lotion with shea butter and triple oat complex, he will let me put it on his neck but screams when i put it on his arms saying its really nippy / Stingy
    Bio Oil - Been trying that for the past 2 weeks
    Almond oil - been wet wrapping at night smothering this oil on before hand
    Olive Oil - Found this ok but not great
    Hydrocotrisone 1% cream (steriod) - Been on this since 1 year old
    Emulsifying ointment - Been on this for about a year same consitency as Vaseline I would say.
    Fucibet - Antibiotic steriod cream for when his skin cracks bleeds and gets infected.

Today I get all the shopping delivered which is all Wheat / Dairy / Gluten Free, which I think I will just start with and then see what the results are from the Alergy tests that I will get done for him, It really can't do any harm in my eyes, well anymore that what he's going through surely.

Again I will be copying each reply and taking new things to put in my eczema list Bless all your kind hearts xx
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    not sure if this has been mentioned but what do you bath/wash him in? My son, daughter and I are all allergic to johnsons with a passion - to the extent that if mums had some in the bath and then not rinsed it properly then we flare up!

also e45 bath stuff makes a flare up worse (oh the irony).

Do you get olatium in the US? Its specially for skin conditions and the only thing that sooths mine.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Also check for lanolin in creams - my daughter was allergic and it made it worse. It is found in E45 cream, but not aveeno ( we all had to have the same stuff in case we touched her.)

My son also has doublebase cream which is very good and easy to use.
  • scotslass
    Options
    not sure if this has been mentioned but what do you bath/wash him in? My son, daughter and I are all allergic to johnsons with a passion - to the extent that if mums had some in the bath and then not rinsed it properly then we flare up!

also e45 bath stuff makes a flare up worse (oh the irony).

Do you get olatium in the US? Its specially for skin conditions and the only thing that sooths mine.

I just bath him in plain water, nothing in it. As soon as his eczema started I chucked everything Johnsons related that was really bad for his skin. E45 I steer clear of too. I have tried Oilatum I forgot to mentiont hat, and Benolum bath oinment too. I am in Scotland :-) x
  • scotslass
    Options
    Also check for lanolin in creams - my daughter was allergic and it made it worse. It is found in E45 cream, but not aveeno ( we all had to have the same stuff in case we touched her.)

My son also has doublebase cream which is very good and easy to use.

Yeh thats why I steer clear of E45 it is so bad for his skin that it makes him go bright red, Oh the doctors also gave me Dipbrobase to try on him as a baby that was awful stuff too x