3 yr old Son has Chronic Eczema...

Options
1235»

Replies

• RoxMcc
    RoxMcc Posts: 4
    Options
    You have loads of great advice already, but if you specifically want help with what to feed him I suggest Healthy Kids the Natural Way by Mary-Ann Shearer. It can be bought here http://www.naturalway.co.za/acatalog/Books---Charts.html

Good luck!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    One additional though that no one ever mentioned to us is if they wind up with food allergies be sure they get some vitamins or supplements to make up for anything they will be missing from their diet. My girls were allergic to milk so for several years until they kind of outgrew it we were super-strict on them not getting any dairy. When you see your kids skin clear up it is very easy to have tunnel vision and not consider other aspects to their overall health. Nobody from the pediatrician to the dermatologist to the allergist ever said back then "Hey by the way be sure they get enough calcium" or whatever. Now every time I read there is a link between Vitamin D deficiency and Type-1 Diabetes which my older daughter has it makes me sick wondering if that contributed to her condition.
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I dont know a thing about children but have been told that gluten can cause dandruf, eczema etc. You might try cutting that out completely and see what happens...
  • jojokane1
    jojokane1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you got any pets? my son had chronic eczema from practically birth up to 3-4 yrs old and then it cleared up when our cat went to live with my parents. He also has an egg allergy. Completely eczema free from then just a bit of asthma now when he comes into contact with a cat, its amazing. Good luck...
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I really can't say it enough, for us, the naturo
    WTH was the way to go. She got my son on the right doses fish oil, probiotic and an awesome multi. Without those things, you can't help him heal a leaky gut. We had over 90 things tested with her in one finger prick test. It even showed how severe each sensitivity was. We are going to try seeing an allergist now and I just found out, he's only testing six things that. Have to bring in. Big difference between an allergy and a sensitivity BUT they both can wreak havoc.

As to the picky issue, I said before my little guy is picky. We tried the one bite rule. He made himself vomit. With him we always give him an abundance of healthy foods and try rotating in something new. He is so much more willing to try things now that he doesn't feel awful all of the time. Instead of forcing him to try, we just offer a lot of praise and do booty shakes when he does! Lol
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't read all the responses so these may already have been stated...

I've had eczema on and off my whole life (usually on). The only food that I have found to contribute to it is certain fruits: tomatoes, all citrus, kiwi fruit, pineapple, and that is only if it contacts my skin. I have seen zero evidence for my eczema being caused by anything other than contact allergies, so please make sure you consider them.

Things that give me eczema:

1. Weather. Too hot - sweat. Too cold - dry.
    2. Chlorine. Yes, I am allergic to the water that I bathe in every day. I cannot completely rid myself of eczema unless I am bathing in rainwater.
    3. All soap. ALL soap, including detergents, though shampoo seems okay? I absolutely must use non-soaps. Cetaphil works for me.
    4. Most moisturisers. I have not yet found a type that does not eventually make me itch. Cetaphil was definitely not okay. Aveeno bought in Australia seems okay used sparingly, but bought in the states (perhaps slightly different ingredients) I could not use it.
    5. Cats. Major hives.
    6. Polyester... those tight, very elastic singlets make my torso itch. According to my dermatologist the tiny fibres are an irritant for those of us with very dry skin.
    7. Dust... only happens when i am cleaning particularly dusty things.
    8. Makeup, hair products, etc.
    9. Most scented products... perfumes, scented moisturisers, etc.
    10. Some oils (perhaps due to scent, but who knows)... bath oils, baby oils, vaseline, etc.
    11. Most products that are supposed to help, herbal or not... phisohex, calendula, vitamin E creams, various herbal oils, tiger balm, pinetarsil... a bunch of things that i do not remember the names of because they were banned for life when i was tiny.

...And I am confident that there will be more to discover yet.

Keep an eye out for possible contact triggers, watching for slight scratching during contact (ie, if wearing polyester, or after something has touched his lip) and watching for an actual break-out up to three days after contact. (this is why cause of a breakout is often so hard to determine).

For me, the only way to really treat a breakout is with really strong topical corticosteroids while eliminating the trigger. Strong topical treatment cannot be used for more than a few weeks at a time, so I alternate between my diprosone OV and a milder one. Moisturising supposedly helps most eczema sufferers as it is a dry skin condition, but moisturisers need to be monitored closely.

Good luck and i hope this helps!
  • detrick101
    Options
    They do say that kids with eczema will eventually grow out of it, but that's still a long time for the little mites to have to suffer. It's the constant itch that is the biggest problem which leads to the sleepless nights, bleeding skin and secondary infections. However, there is a new technology that has been shown to work really well - therapeutic clothing. DermaSilk has been tested under clinical trial which has shown that it doesn't just protect the skin from scratching, but actually stops source of the problem - the itching. It has an antimicrobial bonded to the medical grade silk which kills all the skin born bugs on contact including yeasts and MRSA. It also cuts down on the need for creams and emollients, so you don't have to keep applying them 24/7, and that makes life much easier for mums. The PJs are great at night - no itching so no bloody bedclothes and sound sleep. The vests, pants and leggings can be worn under normal clothing so there's no apparent difference to other kids either. DermaSilk is approved as a Class 1 medical device for prescription use on the NHS and is used by dermatologists, but can be bought on-line as well. You only have to read Jasmine's story at http://ow.ly/buJ4I to see what a dramatic difference it can make to a toddler's life