Dating someone different... did it change your type?

Options
La_Amazona
La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
I'm dating my first country boy. I'm hispanic and mostly have dated white guys but the new bf is different than the rest. He likes NASCAR, country music, likes to go hunting, knows how to 2-step, likes big trucks, etc etc...

I have never watched NASCAR before this, I like *some* country music (although I'm listening to it more often and it's soooo romantic), have never 2 stepped before- though I can dance like a video girl on a Pitbull video (I DO want to learn how to country dance though!) and I've prefered little cars like mini coopers vs a big truck.

So obviously I'm open to our differences and embrace them. I enjoy learning new things period. So with the bf, it's even more awesome because I'm with someone I like AND I'm learning new things. He definately has learned a lot from me so far although he's been around hispanic people often, just never dated one.

Anyway, it's safe to say that country boys are now my new weakness. :heart: :blushing: I can't help but to be attracted to them now. I notice them and turn my head. Yum!

I was more into a regular all american sports playing guy.. and though bf is that, he's got that rugged country look/ attitude that makes me weak.

I'm bored. Entertain me if your type changed after dating someone...

I am sure it doesn't mean I'll only date country boys from now on if bf and were to break up, but I guess it's surprised me how much I'm embracing this difference.

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    You're a chameleon.
    -wtk
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    1. Your bf is a total hottie lol
    2. Welcome to my world and the area I grew up in hahaha country boys are a SERIOUS weakness of mine and I listen to a lot of country music haha
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    You're a chameleon.
    -wtk

WTF.. lol

Just because she has broadened her horizons doesn't mean she is a chameleon.

You have been introduced to a new type of man .. one you like .. I say more possibilities!! lol

I know after my exhusband who I DON'T WANT TO DATE .. lol. What qualities I will never have in a man again.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Growing up in the city I know I swooned when I met my first "country boy." He just seemed so much more capable than my city bfs- knew how to start fires, could fix his own car, and was much more of a gentleman. Of course I know there are city boys that can do all of these things as well, but they seem fewer and far between.

In general I'd say women are more open to different types, just because I'm on the opinion that women are trained from a very young age to be more flexible and adaptable. That's why I think you find less stubborn women than men, it doesn't behoove women to be stubborn most of the time.

I always try and keep in open mind in general, and have accepted date offers from all types. I say don't knock it until you try it, you never know who you are going to click with and shared interests isn't everything.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have, in the past, dated the following (among others):

* Uber geek from Palau who honestly looked like he could pose for a Buddha statue

* Devout Christian man almost 5" shorter and 50 pounds heavier than I am (I actually was married to him)

* Stereotypical all-American army man (only blonde ever - blonde men are usually icky to me)

* Trust fund playboy (briefly, and he had more hair on his back than on his chest)

* Drug addict ex-carnie (my son's biological father)

I think the only kind of guy that I've never dated was someone significantly taller than myself (I'm 5'10"). I think I need to add that to my bucket list.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've dated:

Gangsta boys (when I was younger)
    Skater boy (again, younger)
    Church/ preacher boy (was married to him.. ehhh probably won't do that again)
    Regular guys (they don't fit under a category)
    Country boy

What I haven't dated:

Biker
    Cop or fireman (fantasy!)
    Sugar daddy
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think I have a type of guy. I have dated extremely different men... From punk to geek... I can find attractive traits in pretty much any catagory a guy falls in so nope my preferences haven't changed from dating a specific type of guy... however; country boys and I just don't jive - and I find most of them are a bit douchey but that could be because I grew up with some really douchey cowboys.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    yup.
    dating my first girl now, 6.5 years strong :heart:
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I've always dated/married tall slim men. Now I'm dating a man who is shorter than me, stocky, and mostly bald. We have nothing in common really. But.....we just clicked and we love each other. He's freaking amazing yet wonders how he bagged me, lol. Never say never. :smile:
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I've dated:

Gangsta boys (when I was younger)
    Skater boy (again, younger)
    Church/ preacher boy (was married to him.. ehhh probably won't do that again)
    Regular guys (they don't fit under a category)
    Country boy

What I haven't dated:

Biker
    Sugar daddy

the fantasy isn't all it's cracked up to be . . . trust me
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Every new person I've dated has modified my type either adding to the things I like or the things I don't like but truthfully, I've never really had a specific type.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    What I haven't dated:

Biker
    Sugar daddy

the fantasy isn't all it's cracked up to be . . . trust me
    Also ^^this^^ massive massive MASSIVE let down.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    First: (assuming you're referring to the guy in that profile picture) if it doesn't work out, please let me know. :tongue:

Like CoryIda (well, not exactly like), I've pretty much run the gamut of "types". Skinny little doofus prepster (never again), brooding hipster boy (no thanks), Mr. Blue Collar (terrific disaster, but I'd still find it hard to resist a man who has built his own staircase), Rich Yuppie Older Man (fun while it lasted, but once was probably enough).... as far as "changing my type", I just look at it as having learned about life and about myself from these experiences. And it's a good thing-- a couple of them would've been total losses if I hadn't even learned anything.

The one who had the most significant impact is a very geeky half-Japanese guy and fantastic human being who made me realize that I don't, as it happens, want to be in relationships where I am completely in control and the man bends to my every whim. We only dated briefly, but I absolutely credit him with this epiphany about why so many of my previous relationships were pretty miserable.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I used to date insecure, jealous guys and told myself that the jealousy was flattering. My current boyfriend is secure with our relationship and not jealous in the slightest.

I could never date a jealous, insecure guy again. :sick:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

What I haven't dated:

Biker
    When it fails, let me know.

The moment you stop classifying men and define the characteristics of what you want, only then will you meet the individual. At that point, dont be afraid to jump
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I've never had a type
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My type was always average everything. Average height, average fitness, etc. Then I dated someone chubby, and I think I'm a chubby chaser now. :blushing: After that, I dated a more-fit guy, and I didn't like it as much. However, he did have great arm muscles, which made me love muscles again! Not too sure what I like anymore. Chubby with muscles? That doesn't make sense...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say 'changed my type'...as much as 'broadened my horizons'.
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    I was always into the rocker/metal/partier type of guy. Then I met this guy who grew up with gangs, listened to rap, was into street racing and that sort of thing.
    2 months later, he and I were married, and STILL happily married. I listen to more rap now, he listens to more hard rock, now.
    We are complete opposites but fit well. And our opposites keep it more fun.