"Don't Get Too Skinny"

Options

Replies

• snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes all the time. Just yesterday my mum and her partner had a big rant at me saying I was going back to my ED ways. They can't seem ti tell the difference between that and healthy weight loss -_- I got told i had no butt and my boobs never came back after my ED so they won't now, and my mum keeps saying 'gain weight and they will come back' as if it matters. I say I've accepted that about me and she frowns and repeats the same thing.

It actually really hurt my feelings as I'm self conscious already about my body, and just as i'm beginning to accept these parts of me I get these comments :'(
  • obolton756
    obolton756 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    literally everyone is telling me this at the moment... my mum and boyfriend... so it can't be a case of jealousy.. i am 5'6 120 pounds... kinda wish people would leave me to it a bit.. :/
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yes, people are afraid when they see people successful at achieving their weight goals! It's intimidating.
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i get those comments ALL THE TIME from my fiance's family and my mom and grandmother. I am 5 ft 2 inches and currently 127 pounds, my starting weight was 208 pounds. I think a lot of the time people have that reaction after a major weight loss because they simply are not used to seeing you at that size. I struggled with my weight my whole life and was always obese. So now seeing me a lot smaller than what I was I think just shocks people.

I am only about 2 pounds away from goal weight and I have been losing a TON of inches recently thanks to p90x. Whenever my family says things such as "you better stop losing weight" or "you are fading away" I just say "I am the healthiest I have ever been in my 25 years of living, and I am focusing on toning up, this is not about getting skinny it is about being the healthiest i can be."
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me. I have been on maintenance for over 4 months at 5'2" and ~110. My sister told me this morning I needed to gain ten pounds and I'd look better. I feel great at this weight. I have lost inches and toned up in the last 4 months due to doing Insanity and recently starting to lift. My body likes this weight and I enjoy this weight and body size and feel the best I have in years both physcially and emotionally.
  • samasche1
    samasche1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think the people who make these comments are usually the ones who have been struggling themselves with weight loss or their own body image.

I get these comments too, and from people who mean well, but they don't know it stings to hear.

I usually respond by telling them about MFP and how I make SURE I am eating enough calories to lose the weight in a HEALTHY way. And if they still disagree, I kindly agree to disagree :)

NOT their business anyhow!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I had a conversation with a friend I hadn't seen in a while that went something like this: "Wow, you look great! Seriously though... You're done right? Cuz you're good... Don't lose anymore." Really?

I've gotten this, too. From someone super, duper skinny. A little annoying, but I know she means well. :)
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yup I get it all the time. I find it a little offensive to be honest. It's not like I go up to some one and say "so is this your maintenance weight is it?...You could stand to loose/put on a few pounds!"
    I have come to the conclusion that upsettingly I must have been pretty over weight before for people to think that what I am now is under weight. I think it is definitely best not to give a number of pounds you have left to go, it's rude to ask some one weight so why should it be any different to asking how much weight some one has to loose?
  • mandi_plus_jack
    Options
    My father in law made the same comment to me when he heard how much I want to lose. Just let it go in one ear and out the other! What is most important is that you feel good about yourself! Keep it up!
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I want to know why people think it's ok to say anything at all besides "you look good". You wouldn't be making comments to me if I were packing ON 10 pounds as opposed to losing them.....
    I'm working really hard and it's not easy. Good for me and GOOD FOR ALL OF YOU, TOO!!!

AMEN!! :)
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to post on this thing. My other comment was a "Quote" from someone else. Oops
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I get this too. It's like theyre saying I don't eat enough (thats definately not true) Pretty annoying.
    I just like to think that people want to say these things is because they feel bad about themselves otherwise. Those people are mostly thin, but not extremely fit.
  • casiescorey
    Options
    I get the same thing. If you look at my profile my slogan next to my picture is "Healthy Habits". People tend to think that just because someone looks to be in great shape already that they should just sit in the couch and eat chips and not have a care in the world. Well, at 32 years old I can tell you that the weight goes on quicker, it takes longer to get it off, and if you want to be healthy you should have a target weight and tone to reach and maintain and keep healthy habits up. I think some of the poeple just don't want you to end up looking better than them. ;) AND, it makes them feel guilty because you're doing something to be healthy and get in shape when maybe they're not. I would do what you said, don't give those people your goal numbers anymore. Just tell them you're trying to be healthy, and when they watch you change, becoming healthier and more fit, then they may be inspired to follow your lead and ask you for tips.

Be Well.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I've also been told I'm 'scary' skinny and sickly looking. My best friend from away deleted me from facebook because I told her I found it insulting that she called me scary looking in front of everyone. Meanwhile, when I last visited her I was the same weight and we were both trying to loose and she didn't seem to have a problem with that? Ignore them, it's not even worth the effort to think about it.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I think those people mean it as a compliment. It's more of a jokey persons compliment lol.
    I usually just laugh and say oh that won't happen.
    =]
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Today was a good one :) In one breath, I was asked if I was allowed to eat that doughnut b/c of my "diet" (damn right it was good!), and right after, she said: "I hope you don't plan on losing any more weight... you're going to waste away!" So which is it? No doughnut, or eat more? I was pleasantly confused.
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Been getting those comments a lot lately. I am no where near being "too skinny" lol. Even my son's father keeps saying he's worried about me. I weigh 163 lbs. The high range of a normal bmi for me is 140 lbs so I think I'm safe lol. Ugh people can be annoying.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    yep, I get it all the time from my boyfriend's mom. I just try to smile, as I'm sure she means well. I'm not even quite at the weight I was at my whole life before the weight gain, so I'm certainly not TOO skinny!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I also think they make these comments because people just don't know what a healthy weight person looks like. So many people are overweight, even if it's 15 lbs over, that overweight looks normal.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I get them from my family, but I understand they come from a place of love.. and experience with me. I had really disordered eating as a teenager, and they don't want to see me go back to that very bad place.