Nice arms

Options
Just wondering what you ladies (and men) do to get nicely toned arms. I am almost at the point where I have lost enough weight now, and really want to start focusing on toning up and getting stronger. I don't want to go for the body builder look, but something nice and toned like in the picture below.

264023596875023136_GeFc8HqY_f.jpg

At the moment I do boxing on the wii fit and don't laugh at me to much, but after a drink and access to amazon one night I ordered a shake weight haha. I should not be allowed near a computed when intoxicated. So I've been using that but I can only do so much with it. I will be starting to use dumbells soon, just wanted to know how to use them in the most effective way.

Replies

• kingvan
    kingvan Posts: 9
    Options
    Some workout plans have a style to get different 'looks'. On P90X, if you do the Classic program, 8-10 reps is for size and 12-15 is for lean/tone. That should do it for you.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Barring using steriods it is pretty close to physically impossible for you to get much bigger than that. Even if you were to embark on a hardcore hypertrophy program and the huge food intake to support it.

The 3 best exercises one can do are squats, pushups, and pullups.

A doorway mounted pullup bar will do far more for you than some dumbells.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    If you are working out at home, push ups and plank push ups are awesome arm and shoulder toners.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You won't get the bodybuilder look unless you work out like a bodybuilder and perhaps take performance enhancing drugs. Unless you are .01% of the population you won't "accidently get too big" :-) So try, dips, pull ups, bicep curls, triceps push downs, close-grip bench presses. Also dont' forget the rest of your body. Good luck!
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    lift heavy! You won't get the "bodybuilder" look if your not taking testosterone! :flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Return the shake weight. Start on a comprehensive full body strength training program like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 or NROL4W.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you are working out at home, push ups and plank push ups are awesome arm and shoulder toners.

Pushing should always be balanced with pulling though as it works totally different muscles.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    LES MILLS PUMP!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy* made my arms tighter and smaller.

arms2.jpg

You won't get the "body builder" look without a calorie surplus, lots of time and hard work, and a very low body fat percentage.

* Heavy relative to me. As heavy as I can for three sets of 8.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Want to build Nice Arms...Lift!

Not just Bicep Curls...which really you don't HAVE to do...

Bench, Pull-Ups, Overheard Press, Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts, Row

Do those basic Complex lifts and you will have nice arms in no time
  • FitnezzGirlOfficial
    FitnezzGirlOfficial Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bodypump!!!! You will get AMAZING results QUICKLY!!!! It is a lot of work involved but you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR RESULTS and how YOU FEEL!!!!!

Tee
    Bodypump Instructor since 2011
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Push ups, Tricep dips, shoulder fly with real weights :), bicep curls...to name a few....and think heavy!! Not overly heavy but something that makes those last few reps ouch a little!!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

^^^^ THIS. Pick up heavy things, put them back down :) YEA!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Yes! Compound lifts. I have found muscles I never knew existed doing these moves and look better then I ever have!
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I suggest have some more drinks and order P90X. :) I noticed a big diff in my arms after doing this program. It's a little pricey but worth it.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yup, find a good lifting program. The model in the pic you posted probably lifts very heavy...she trains to look like that. I have been lifting for a year now and am seeing fantastic results. It's almost 100% impossible for women to look bulky from lifting. We don't have the chemical and hormonal make-up to do so. But we can get strong. Go for it. Cardio won't get you there. Lift, lift, lift. :)
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    LES MILLS PUMP!!

I love les mills pump!
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Press, squats, lunges, and deadlifts for arms? I don't think so Tim.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I don't want to go for the body builder look, but something nice and toned like in the picture below.

I'm pretty sure the lady in the pic lifts weights!

The only way to get the look is to burn fat in general, and build slightly bigger muscles. And no, you won't end up looking like Madonna, don't worry!

Push ups, compound lifts, rows, shoulder presses, get yourself some sexy shoulders :wink:

Edit- Drfokse- why not? barbell rows are fantastic for shoulders, biceps AND triceps! All those exercises are. Worked for me.
  • thirtytwopostcards
    Options
    Wow, thank you for all the suggestions. Sounds like I might have to have a few drinks and invest in some better weights then!

To the people who have done P90X, how did you find it? Is it worth the money? It is something that would be expensive for me to buy with my part time wage, but something to consider for the future if it is worth it.