Replies

• SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Bump for Good Info!!!
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I lift weights (heavy) 5 days a week and specifically work arms on Tuesdays, not that it matters because every exercise I do works my arms.
  • kneasles
    kneasles Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just came across these simple exercises when you can't get to the gym for rowing or heavy weights. "Tone your arms in 3 moves", 3 each for beginner (me), intermediate and advanced. I'm starting today.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/arms/exercises/tone-your-arms-in-3-moves/?page=1
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    arm.jpg

try rowing about 2000m on arm days, and see where that takes ya ;)

also, LIFT. THOSE. MOTHERF*$#^@. WEIGHTS. :bigsmile:

AWESOME.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    arm.jpg

try rowing about 2000m on arm days, and see where that takes ya ;)

also, LIFT. THOSE. MOTHERF*$#^@. WEIGHTS. :bigsmile:

AWESOME.

Oh holy sweetness :love:
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of all of my MFPeeps who have responded in this thread!

*wipes tear*

Press, squats, lunges, and deadlifts for arms? I don't think so Tim.

This post is the only complete fail I've seen. First, you neglected to include the rows he mentioned. Rows and presses ALONE will give you wicked arms. The other exercises he mentioned invariably require tension in your arms as well (not full contraction and extension of course)...with HEAVY weight.

Yeah...definitely fail.

7434194_7704.jpg

I'd never done a curl in my life when that picture was taken...and while my bodyfat is a bit high there (18% or so), you can see there's plenty of muscle underneath.

Oh and ladies? If you didn't notice, I'm a man. Your arms will NEVER look like that, barring some serious testosterone supplementation =p.
    The only fail here is your lack of reading comprehension. Apparently I have to explain to you that I was pointing out the exercises that either don't Target arms or work them very minimally.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

*wipes tear*

This post is the only complete fail I've seen. First, you neglected to include the rows he mentioned. Rows and presses ALONE will give you wicked arms. The other exercises he mentioned invariably require tension in your arms as well (not full contraction and extension of course)...with HEAVY weight.

Yeah...definitely fail.

7434194_7704.jpg

I'd never done a curl in my life when that picture was taken...and while my bodyfat is a bit high there (18% or so), you can see there's plenty of muscle underneath.

Oh and ladies? If you didn't notice, I'm a man. Your arms will NEVER look like that, barring some serious testosterone supplementation =p.
    The only fail here is your lack of reading comprehension. Apparently I have to explain to you that I was pointing out the exercises that either don't Target arms or work them very minimally.

They why are presses and deadlifts on your list?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

*wipes tear*

Yeah...definitely fail.

7434194_7704.jpg

They why are presses and deadlifts on your list?

Thanks Waldo.

Perhaps her only fail is her lack of ability to express herself?
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Deadlift 2x bodyweight or more for reps and tell me it doesn't work your arms.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am going to start crossfit this fall after my half marathon. One hurdle at a time. But these girls look amazing. I would skip the intro, the actual exercises start at 1:12 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufVcD2_2dXg
  • docktorfokse
    Options
    I did make the assumption that the OP was thinking primarily about upper arms, I'm definitely not doubting that deadlifts require a strong grip. As for presses, they primarily work shoulders, which I rarely see mentioned as a part of the arm. Next time I'll be sure to spell everything out for you guys.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I did make the assumption that the OP was thinking primarily about upper arms, I'm definitely not doubting that deadlifts require a strong grip. As for presses, they primarily work shoulders, which I rarely see mentioned as a part of the arm. Next time I'll be sure to spell everything out for you guys.

So please, since I'm so very ignorant. Tell me exactly how I built my biceps and triceps without ever directly working them...performing nothing but compound lifts, including rows and presses?
  • docktorfokse
    Options

So please, since I'm so very ignorant. Tell me exactly how I built my biceps and triceps without ever directly working them...performing nothing but compound lifts, including rows and presses?
    You just answered your own question... rows and presses. I never said rows didn't do anything for your arms. I'll also go so far to assume you also bench press, which also works your triceps.

However, if your squats have built up your arms, I'm afraid I can't explain that.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Save for when i get to this too :)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Compound upper body movements (Bench press, press, rows, etc.) will definitely work your arms, but there's nothing wrong with adding isolation on top of that.

Squats and lunges, while excellent for your legs and core, won't do jack ****.
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump! Cause I want nice arms too. :smile:
  • kirstyjames76
    kirstyjames76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Another advocate for Les Mills pump - its a great whole body workout!!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There are gazillion guys at the gym that only work upper body that have nice arms. It proves that you dont NEED to do the lower body but that is in no way suggesting that you should not do the larger compound lifts. Dont be that guy or girl with the chicken legs. It looks weird on both males and females.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

You just answered your own question... rows and presses. I never said rows didn't do anything for your arms. I'll also go so far to assume you also bench press, which also works your triceps.

However, if your squats have built up your arms, I'm afraid I can't explain that.

Funny, you included presses in your little sarcastic comment. It's quoted above. Now they work arms too? And out of curiosity, what do you use to stabilize all that weight when you're squatting? Your ego?

And yes, I know why my arms are like they are. I was just curious what your all knowing opinion on it was.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    There are gazillion guys at the gym that only work upper body that have nice arms. It proves that you dont NEED to do the lower body but that is in no way suggesting that you should not do the larger compound lifts. Dont be that guy or girl with the chicken legs. It looks weird on both males and females.

Gotta love the lightbulb physique.