Would you get a massage from...

Options

Replies

• WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's their job, just another body on the table and money in their pocket!!

If this is what you women think male therapists are thinking, you're crazy lol. My ex went to AZ College of Allied Health for a Pharmacy tech course. They also teach a massage therapy course along side of it. The classes overlap, and the way the building is setup, people close to the door can hear the students in the hall, and people close to the door between classes can hear the instructors in between classes. The instructors are licensed massage therapists btw, invariably with a day job. Anyhow, part of the curriculum involves volunteers who come in for live practice. Now, as you'd expect...the male students would talk all kinds of crap in the hall about the women volunteers...comments like 'that one girl really loved it the lower I massaged her, if we'd been alone it would have been ON!' were pretty common place. The thing that really got her though, was how the INSTRUCTORS would talk while the students were out of the room. Not just about the volunteers, but about the female students. She said they were much...much worse. Enough so that it made her uncomfortable even being in the same hallway with them.

During the course of her schooling, two instructors were replaced. The new ones were no better.

I wonder if women are EVER going to understand that men, are going to be men...and they will ALWAYS appreciate women. Male gyno's could have made just as much money as a pediatrist, optometrist, proctologist (those make bank from what I hear), or any of a hundred other disciplines. I'm sure male massage therapists are the same...they picked what they picked for a reason.

I have wondered about this. I knew a male therapist and he tried SO hard to get me to come in and even offered a 2 hour massage at the place where he worked. I politely declined. (He was creepy looking)

I am in the group that only wants a female gyno too..."taking my car to a mechanic that has never owned a car" :laugh:
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah. I love my MT, he works at chiro's office. I used to hop around a lot and never much cared either way, but I prefer him over all others. I like the big strong hands, I do not want the deepness from bodyweight/elbows. There are some female therapists who are more than adequate, but I like his techniques best. I do have female friends who do not want a male therapist.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Yes, unless I needed a massage around the thigh upper leg area...

I can help with this. :bigsmile:

It wasn't leg day today but if you like you could massage my shoulders :smile:

I can give you a leg workout...:laugh:

Want to do some donkey calf raises :bigsmile:

yes please! :wink:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

If this is what you women think male therapists are thinking, you're crazy lol. My ex went to AZ College of Allied Health for a Pharmacy tech course. They also teach a massage therapy course along side of it. The classes overlap, and the way the building is setup, people close to the door can hear the students in the hall, and people close to the door between classes can hear the instructors in between classes. The instructors are licensed massage therapists btw, invariably with a day job. Anyhow, part of the curriculum involves volunteers who come in for live practice. Now, as you'd expect...the male students would talk all kinds of crap in the hall about the women volunteers...comments like 'that one girl really loved it the lower I massaged her, if we'd been alone it would have been ON!' were pretty common place. The thing that really got her though, was how the INSTRUCTORS would talk while the students were out of the room. Not just about the volunteers, but about the female students. She said they were much...much worse. Enough so that it made her uncomfortable even being in the same hallway with them.

During the course of her schooling, two instructors were replaced. The new ones were no better.

I wonder if women are EVER going to understand that men, are going to be men...and they will ALWAYS appreciate women. Male gyno's could have made just as much money as a pediatrist, optometrist, proctologist (those make bank from what I hear), or any of a hundred other disciplines. I'm sure male massage therapists are the same...they picked what they picked for a reason.

I have wondered about this. I knew a male therapist and he tried SO hard to get me to come in and even offered a 2 hour massage at the place where he worked. I politely declined. (He was creepy looking)

I am in the group that only wants a female gyno too..."taking my car to a mechanic that has never owned a car" :laugh:

Trust me, it's not just the creepy looking ones. When women say that men are pigs...it's sort of true. Some of us are more developed however and only allow our pigginess to be expressed where appropriate lol.

*shrug*

I can say that I'd prefer my wife/girlfriend to have a female masseuse, AND gyno. It's her choice of course...but I have a reason for my preference (as stated above), and it has nothing to do with jealousy or control. Possessiveness, a bit maybe...but that's a different thing altogether.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would be so uncomfortable with a man massaging me. I have only had one massage and a woman did it...I was still very uncomfortable, couldn't imagine a guy doing it.
  • tobykang
    tobykang Posts: 24
    Options
    I have in the past and it depends on the guy...I got a massage one time with deep breather which I couldn't stand! It was so hard to unwind with darth vader. Went tot he same place got a different guy and he was perfect he was really strong and knew how to get in the knots (mostly in my traps) and I always love when they assess your problem areas before the massage...I will get a massage from anyone who seems good at the trigger point/deep tissue technique.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer guys both for massages and for my OB/GYN. For massages, I like that they have stronger hands and can give me a deeper tissue massage. For the OB/GYN, I prefer that they aren't female because they haven't felt what they are doing to me. Generally, a woman will think that if they can take it so can their patients and aren't as gentle during exams and paps. So, I prefer male massage therapists so they can be rougher and male OB/GYNs so they will be gentler. And for the record, I've had both male and female of both, so this preference is based on experience, not just a theory.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    no I wouldnt because that would be gay. Also, im married so its why would i turn down a chance to have a woman touch me?> even if she is a former German Bodybuildr named Helga?
  • obolton756
    obolton756 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i'll take a massage any day... don't care who its from... :)
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yes, in fact I have had full body massages from a very professional masseuse. He also was not afraid of telling me how to eat healthy to lose weight. Unfortunately, I was too young to care and had lots on my mind. Losing weight and getting healthy wasn't one of them.

I really wish that he was closer as I'd go back now. I'm not skinnier, but I'm definitely healthier now.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Agreed
    if its a physical therapy massage i don't care...but if its just a relaxing massage i'd want a woman.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    I would not mind it as long as he knew what he was doing. And there was no tv in site because they are easily distracted

hey, I take offense to... Oh look something shinny
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't bother me, and I love the ladies...
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It's a body thing. Some people are just uncomfortable with it and it is what it is. My mom is a massage therapist...deep tissue is not problem for her, she is a mean little woman but if it werent for her....I dont think I would have a problem because common sense tells me men have more upper body strength
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    either gender, doesn't matter to me! it all feels great!
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options

I am not going to argue the validity of this but as a Male Licensed Massage Therapist I can honestly say I do not and have not acted like this with clients. Everyone has the right to choose what they are comfortable with but if a MT is acting like you described they will not make much money due to lack of return clients. All men can be pigs I guess, but we can also be professional. Nobody can deny that Females can also act like you described these men acting behind closed doors. Everyone is different so no need to make generalized statements IMHO.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter to me. This past year I go to my friend who is a licensed massage therapist. She's great!
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    When you hire a PROFESSIONAL massage therapist, is like going to a doctor (male or female) that will look at the client as what he or she is, a client, someone who is paying for therapeutic services (even if therapy is not the intention) and nothing more. Being a massage therapist myself, I understand the whole trust issue about any improper behavior that some pervs have given male therapists a bad name.

To start with, the therapist must always offer draping unless the modality offered uses minimum draping. In those cases, the therapist has to let the client know ahead of time to avoid confusion. And although draping is not mandatory, it is the client's choice and not the therapist's to decide whether or not the draping will be used.

Before my first session with a client, the client must fill out an intake form, which I go over it again when they are done filling it out where I ask in a section, what body parts listed in the form the client doesn't want me to massage. This way I give the client the opportunity to not feel like they are forced to anything.

Anyway, in my case I don't mind getting massages from either a male or a female. And about males being better at deep tissue, that's only the case when the female therapist doesn't know proper body mechanics. A therapist with proper knowledge will know that muscle isn't the the tool for more pressure, but proper body mechanics and body weight :smile:
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    no I wouldnt because that would be gay.

That's the most insecure and ridiculous way of thinking right there. And I won't really say what else I think because you'll probably get offended and the big bad wolf, I mean moderator of the forum would punish me lol
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    And about males being better at deep tissue, that's only the case when the female therapist doesn't know proper body mechanics. A therapist with proper knowledge will know that muscle isn't the the tool for more pressure, but proper body mechanics and body weight :smile:

Exactly. I am a massage therapist. It has nothing to do with size or how strong your "hands" are. It's about body mechanics and having the table at the proper height. Lower table, means you can go harder and deeper with minimal effort. I have never had anyone who could take me at full strength. Sometimes a little more strength is required just because most people want "deep pressure" and not "deep tissue". Deep pressure requires a little more muscle because you have to control the pressure and depth because the client cannot take it all the way. I do have pretty developed forearms and biceps just from massage since most people do want just a firmer swedish rather than a deep tissue. But even some of the smallest females at my spa can get enough pressure to be effective. It doesn't need and shouldn't be extremely painful. Therapeutic pain not above your pain threshold. So you do not need a man to get a firm massage. Bigger hands, yes, but not necessarily stronger. Some clinics do make you pay extra for deeper work so if you are just getting a lotion rubdown, it may be because you booked a basic Swedish and are not paying for a deeper massage.

And yes, most people do want a female therapist. It's hard for male therapists. Women want women because of self consciousness and men want women so they don't feel "gay" for letting a man touch them. Some guys have had to have a man and end up feeling comfortable and continue going to males. A guy on the table can get an erection whether or not they are attracted to the therapist or the therapist's gender so don't worry about that part. Blood is being moved around, relaxation, instinct. We do just ignore it as long as the man doesn't act like he wants you to take care of it or try to move his drape to show it.

It's just a preference. I had always requested females before I went to massage school too. And I'd be lying if I said that therapists, male or female, don't notice your body but we see so many that you'd have to be pretty spectacular either way to be memorable. Most of us are going to be sensitive to your issues and go with what you are comfortable with. Doctors are different because it's usually based on a need though I usually prefer a female gyno. Massage in some cases is a luxury for relaxation and you are going to be there vulnerable and naked for at least an hour so you need to be comfortable to relax. People aren't trying to relax at the doctor and they are usually in and out and the doctor only looks at the one area you are having the problem.

CMT's see most of you, but we are usually focused on that particular muscle and spaced off thinking about stuff and in our zone. As long as you have good hygiene, we aren't going to be remembering your body or your weird moles or anything. I can't say that therapists never talk about clients, but like I said it's usually if someone smells or is really hairy or something (just as a warning to the next therapist that gets them). Hairy=lots of lotion. lol Ok, we do notice if they are really attractive but we all swoon quietly and remain professional. Or we should. There are some bad eggs like in any profession so if something makes you uncomfortable--SPEAK UP at the moment and don't wait to tell the front desk. Only if they do not listen, then take it up higher. Everyone has a different comfort zone. Inner thighs, glutes, pecs, abs...they are all up to the modesty of the client.