RUNNERS: come here!

Options

Replies

• TidoWyla
    TidoWyla Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started running in January, and currently am training for a 10K. We live on gravel, so I'm generally always slower when I train, I usually average an 10:30-11 mm while training, I've done four 5ks this year and the last two I've been running a 9:30 per mile. The first mile always sucks, after that it's not bad at all. I just started training for the 10K so I'm only running 4 miles at a time right now.
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have been running since May of last year. My pace averages 9-10:00 minutes per mile depending on so many things (weather, long or short run, etc.). Like many others, I have the hardest time starting out, but sometimes for me that feeling lasts into miles 2 and 3. Once I am able to pass that point, I can go as long as my knee lets me. I had a knee injury last October, which kept me from running for several months. I kept trying to push it and come back too soon - I don't advise that. 3 miles is my short run, and I try to run at least 4 times per week.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I started running when I turned 40, 2 years ago. I never was a runner before. Did some sprinting in grade school if you count that. I thought since I was 40 it was time to do something just for me. I had gone through a divorce and needed to find myself again and do something just for me, for once, instead of always being the wife and mother and not caring about my time.

I started running in March of 2010 and ran a half marathon that same year in September. I didn't run it very fast, but I completed it and was so happy! I was hooked after that.

I ran a 30K the following March (2011), and then several more half marathons, a 10 miler, a 26K trail run, all leading up to my full marathon last October.

My pace got faster the more I ran, without even working on speed. I did start speed work and hills for the marathon training though and increased my speed so that I could aim for a sub 4 hour marathon. I did. I came in at 3:59:47.

I did strength training (P90X) over the winter and have increased my speed more with added strength. I recommend that you add that into your mix.

I am training for my second marathon right now, it will be in October. I am aiming to BQ. I need to come in under 3:45 so I have some work to do. I know I am capable of anything I put my mind too so I'm going to work hard to get there.

As for my speeds, I train a different speeds but never race pace. I average at 5:40 per/km (not sure what that is in miles) for my regular runs. My race pace depends on the distance I'm going but my half marathon last week I hit a pace of 5:21 per/km. I need to hold that pace, actually a bit lower, 5:18-5:20, for my full marathon to qualify for Boston. Right now, holding it for a half was a challenge, but I have the next 18 weeks ahead of me to change that. :)

I think about quiting a lot, usually when it's a long run and it hurts. I wonder why am I doing this!! But when I finish and realize what I just did, I feel great. Sign yourself up for a 5K race and see what you think. I run so I can race. I love the race environment, getting out there with the 1% of the population that dedicate themselves to doing this. No better feeling then crossing the finish line to a crowd cheering you on. :)

All the best in your running! Good for you for getting out there!
  • jfeh
    jfeh Posts: 30
    Options
    This post has helped me some, also...I started running several years ago to prepare for a huge 15k we have locally. Nevery in a million years did I think I could do this distance. My goal was to do it in under 2 hours, being new to running & everything, and I had also injured myself during training. I finished at 2 hours 2 minutes. I set out the following year preparing and not allowing myself to take time off...I got sick a couple of days before the race and fnished in 2 hours 5 minutes, major bummer!

You should be careful about setting time goals for this exact reason. If you set a goal and don't reach it, you will feel disappointed and let down, when you should feel happy and proud of what you accomplished! The first time you run a race of any distance, you should make your goal simply to finish the race, that way you set yourself up for success and you can feel good that you accomplished your goal!
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    9 min. mile pace, been running for two years, but I have been running for 4 months since taking 6 onths off due to injury.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I average a 10:30 - 11:30/ min mile. It depends on my overall distance.
    I have been running for about 2 years and took the winter off.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I just started to run about a month ago. I still have about 90 lbs to lose and at first I would do my intervals of run 1 minute and speed walk 1 minute. This past Friday, I finally decided to try and push myself even more, and for the first time EVER, I ran 1.25 miles without stopping whatsoever. I averaged 12:30 on that mile. I ran again yesterday and did 1.5 miles just to add a little more distance, and I averaged the same time. I usually feel really tight in the first 1/2 mile, and that is even with stretching before hand really good. It seems like it is getting easier and easier for me the more I practice.

Good luck!!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I started running in February 2010. I did my first marathon in October 2010 at an 11:17 pace. I did my first half marathon in June 2011 at a 9:57 pace, and PR'd my half marathon in March at 9:13 MPM. I've since completed 3 more half's at just a few seconds off my PR.

I'm now training for my second marathon this fall and training at 9:13 MPM pace for that as well. I want to push it up a little, but my true goal is to run the whole thing and finish injury free. Don't care if it's at 4:30 or 4:15 or even 5:00 so long as I'm injury free.

I did run a quick 5.5 miles this AM at an avg of 8:57, and have gone faster on flatter routes.
  • walshirc
    walshirc Posts: 2
    Options
    I started doing the C25K in April. I have wondered the same things.... does it get any better? I often think of quitting within the first few minutes, but I don't. I just think back to when I started the program and running for 60 seconds was hard. Now, that's a breeze, so surely it will get easier in small increments. Thanks for posting your questions and starting this thread. I am inspired by reading others' comments.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I'm now training for my second marathon this fall and training at 9:13 MPM pace for that as well. I want to push it up a little, but my true goal is to run the whole thing and finish injury free. Don't care if it's at 4:30 or 4:15 or even 5:00 so long as I'm injury free.

Be cautious with this. You should base your goal time and pace on what your previous race times are, adjusted for the distance. McMillian's calculator states that you should be training for a marathon to be run at 9:40 pace based on your previous Half Marathon finish times. You can't force your fitness down to a specific level. You have to develop your systems at the level that you are. The danger here is twofold. First, training of the marathon at too fast a pace could result in injury. Secondly, if you run the marathon at a pace you are not capable of sustaining, you will bonk and it will suck.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    I ran a 5:40 mile a month ago. I think I've gotten faster than that.
    My 5k time is 17:48
    I've been running for 5 years.
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My average mile is about 10 or 10:30, though I've been going faster than that, usually. I've been running off and on for a couple years, but only seriously since February. I did Shape's 5 Weeks to a 5K program, which I'd highly suggest, in training for an 8K. It was challenging, but really upped my endurance and speed. I think I started around an 11:30 pace, and now I can do 9:45 in race training mode. I sometimes do tempo runs at 9:30. Tempo and speed runs will be your best friends. Also, hill work I've heard works wonders, but there aren't a ton of hills in the city of Chicago. I do speed up around bridges when going up, but slow way down on the way down so as not to hurt my legs. I've been running with an IT Band injury.

I think the feelings of giving up are really dependent on the person. When you feel like giving up, but you never do, I think that's just your mind helping to psych you up for the overall feeling of accomplishment you get at the end of a run. Maybe it's a habit for your brain to do that. It happens to me often, too, but I don't really mind it. Once I put my running shoes on and head out the door, I'm not turning back.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 6 years. My mile times range anywhere from 8:30-10:30.
    I still have "I want to quit" thoughts the first 5-10 minutes just depends on the day lol.
  • Heather68462
    Heather68462 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been running since January, usually 2 miles 3-4 times a week. My longest distance was 5 miles. All on a treadmill. I tried running outside, but I can only go 1.5 miles before I die.

My fastest is 12 minutes per mile, that is the 5.0 setting on the treadmill for speed.

I dont care. Im lappin everyone on the couch!
  • mami2threeboys
    Options
    started running last year for about 7 months but had to stop due to some pregnancy complications, but i was up to a 10n a half min mile would run at least 4 times a week around 3 miles each time ... slowwwly getting back to that =)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've been running about a year and a half, and now my average comfortable pace is about a 9 minute mile, and a little faster when racing.

The first mile is *still* the hardest for me. So I make a pact with myself, "Just one run mile. If you still want to quit, go home." Because then I'll get a 2 mile workout no matter what. But usually, after the first mile, I'm in my groove and want to keep going.
  • Shenzi03
    Shenzi03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have been running since February and average between 10.5 & 11 minute miles, 2-3 miles at a time. When I first started, it was closer to 13-14 minutes which is still considerably faster than the 15+ minutes miles I was running in high school 12 short years ago!

My body loves the feel of running but my lungs HATE it since I’m an occasional smoker. It’s gotten easier since I’ve built up some endurance but my husband keeps me motivated. Plus, the way running has changed the shape of my body keeps me coming back for more! Although, we have been on a little hiatus at the moment because we’re in the process of closing on and moving into our first house but as soon as we move in I can't WAIT to start exploring the new areas in my community. I like to switch up my routes so I don't get bored with the same ol' scenery!

I do think the feelings of wanting to quit go away over time. The fact that you’ve taken the time to get out there and run shows that you care enough about yourself to continue. Great job on your stats everyone and keep treating your bodies the way they deserve to be treated. :flowerforyou:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I just started one day in mid/late March because I was out for my usual 1 hour walk and thought, "Hey, why don't I run? I've been walking for a while..." That awhile was only 1/2 a month LOL and I just thought of doing it. With that said I only ran 30-40 seconds at a time then full on mins. I've never done C25K but I've participated with groups - I just mastered 5k about a month ago and even then I took weeks off at a time with illlness/taking care of someone who was ill. You just get back where you started. I rarely have the feeling of stopping. Usually because I'm not breathing correctly. And lately because I've broken into over 1 hour runs this wk averaging 8k. And I run 5-8x a week, somedays double am/pm. You can do it! Even if don't finish what I wanted to like last nights run, there is always tomorrow. I always feel accomplished after my runs and really good physically. My time has gone from running almost 15 min to 13:30-13:40, but has gone as low as 11:00. If you get an app like Endomondo or GPSpeedOMeter, you can get stats and figure out goals, etc. Happy running! And sorry this was a long post, LOL.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been running since about March & I ran my first ever race on Saturday (a 10K) & finished in 55:45. When I run on the treadmill, I run at 6.5 - 7.0 mph with an incline of at least 2.5.
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been running since last summer (minus a 14 week stint when I broke my ankle and had surgery, Nov.-Feb.,, started back again March 1st)
    I run 4-5 times a week, 5-8 miles at a time (for now- I increase my "long" runs by .5-1 mile a week). Average pace is 8:00-8:40 a mile. the first mile is the hardest for me- my body is stiff, I run at 5am, and I always think "short run day" but 95% of the time it ends up being a longer run (i thought "short run day" every day this week and ran 8 miles EVERY day this week). It just takes my body some time to get in the groove.
    I love running- its my escape, my time, nobody but me and the rhythm of running. I am a much better Mommy and teacher (I teach 6th grade) when I run.

I feel like a much better boss at work and girlfriend/friend when I run, too! It's a great stress reliever. I'm a big believer in short runs, though. I think they help prevent injury. After taking off a few weeks after my last race, I started training for my next one too hard, too fast, and I developed IT Band Syndrome. Be careful! Running eight miles every single day might work for you, but giving my own body rest has really helped in preventing further injury for me, personally. Also, cross training. :)