RUNNERS: come here!

Options
12346»

Replies

• mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    I started running 1 month before my 30th birthday. My first run was a 3 mile run. I wanted to quit after the first three blocks , let alone make the 3 miles. My runs that are 6 miles and over are usually around 8.30 per mile. Just turned thirty one and proud to say 37 lbs down and my fastest mile has been 7:36 per mile .
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i started running in August of 2010; competed in my first race an 8k finished in 1:14 pace of 13:30/mile. stopped running (knee injuries and well being lazy). started back in December 2011; competed in first 5k mud run in May 2012 finished in 1:24 - damn obstacles - LOL!

Pace a week and a half ago was 11:30/mile. WAS running 4 times a week on a treadmill (3 miles) and trail running once a week (4 miles). strained a ligament so now i'm stuck waiting 2 weeks before i can get back out. can't wait - never thought i'd say that again. been cross training for almost 2 weeks.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I started running again in Feb 2011. I have a variety of paces. Average pace for everyday running is 8:00 to 8:20/mi. When I'm tired I do recovery pace around 9:00/mi. When I run with my running group it's 9:30 to 10:00/mi. When I do tempo runs its around 6:45 to 7:00/mi. Speedwork at the track is usually 5:30 to 6:00/mi. Then there are race paces which are different for each distance.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    12 min / mile - I haven't run in about 6 years (not consistenly, anyway), and i just re-estarted. I previously had to stop the long distance stuff due to an injury and found other exercise outlets.

When I ran before I ran a marathon from very low physical fitness. I can glady say that YES, the daily feelings of quitting eventually do go away, but they come back once in a while.

Sometimes it just feels so good to be outside and moving, you never have the notion to stop. Other days, nothing feels right, running seems especially hard, and damnit it just doesn't seem fun that day. But those are the days to push through it and get better (as long as you don't have a physical pain stopping you).

Proud of you for doing Couch to 5k!!!
  • suerun11
    suerun11 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I just read a great running blog, and the author admitted that not every day is a great running day. Which strangely, was an encouragement to me as a new runner! :bigsmile:
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How fast is your average mile? How long have you been running?

Also-- I've found that I really DO like to run... I'm finishing couch to 5k right now, and I find that in the first 8-10 min of running, I constantly think about quitting and starting again tomorrow... lol (I haven't quit.)--- do these feelings ever go away? Does it get easier?

For me, the first 20 minutes of any run sucks. All runs for me have a kind of break-in period where it's awful to start then gets better.

I don't think running ever is consistent one way or another. For me personally - I cannot predict a good or bad run. Some of my best runs were on days where I was tired and absolutely didn't want to do it. I've had horrible runs on days where I felt great.

I'm pretty slow 11 min mile. If I push it, 10 minutes. I don't really care too much about getting faster - I find whenever I concentrate too much on speed and time I end up being frustrated and get hurt or stop enjoying it. Now I just do what my body feels like doing that day and call it good.
  • sarabeth40
    sarabeth40 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love running-the more in shape you get, the easier it becomes so don't give up.
    I've been running on and off for 8 years, but have really fallen in love with it the past 2 years. I run a little over an 8 minute mile when running long distances (10 miles or more) but a little faster for shorter distances. I just set my PR in the hospital hill half marathon of 1:46:53. was pretty pumped about that!
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started spring of last year. It is an amazing thing, running that is. I have had a couple overuse injuries so far, I'm training too hard too fast. I've also learned a lot about myself and my body. Running used to be something I hated to do until I had my first 10k run with a party at the end. Now I'm addicted. I love completing a run, getting a shirt, a medal, a slice of pizza, and a beer. That's probably the coolest thing ever. lol...
  • johnstegeman
    johnstegeman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's slow going for me. One week I can run, the next week I can't. I try not to push it, but when the going is good, it feels great to be doing something I never could have done a year ago.