650 LB Virgin Regains His Weight Back!!!

Options

Replies

• toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    this is motivating me to stay on this journey. I will never want to go back. I love exercising now, I love all the outdoor activities and I love how I feel and look too much to give it all up. This guy I think just got overwhelmed, everything too fast for him, the weight loss, tv, people rooting for him etc. His head just never caught up. Too sad, wished I could do something :(
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    holy crap! I did see him on the TODAY show sometime this week... I think and i was like...its this old is this new...I just know that I saw him pudgy again. all I thought was noooooooo...he lost his virginity and apparently his self control...all that he went thru...I watched that TLC show and was like WOW! that sux...hopefully he'll lose again..he's still young.
  • CazLovesCalories
    CazLovesCalories Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I watched him lose that weight on Obese-A year to save my life.

I feel so sad for him :(
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My heart hurts for him. I am doing this very slowly. I fear gaining all back. That is why I continue to eat the foods I eat just at a healthier version and watch my portion. I refuse to go on extreme dieting and exercising to get to goal and then revert back to old habits. I wish him the best.
  • munkyblew
    munkyblew Posts: 14
    Options
    We studied weight gain and loss in a psych class I took in high school and my teacher told us that the BMI you have when you're about 5-6 (your peak physical age in terms of weight to height ratio) is basically where you're stuck. It's during this time that your body is learning your eating habits and it basically "sets" your metabolism and your body's comfortable weight. If your body later gets really thin, your system isn't used to it, thinks something is wrong, and releases chemicals and hormones that will cause your body to hang onto more of your food as fat, bringing your weight back up.

however, this doesn't mean there isn't hope! Even if you were overweight as a kid, you can fight the weight gain by simply maintaining the healthy habits that brought you down in the first place. That being said, "lemon juice" or "cabbage soup" diets, crazy unsustainable diets, may work to bring your weight down, but it's simply impossible to keep doing that diet forever, because it will kill you. the best way to lose weight and keep weight off are to instead stick to diets or habits that ARE sustainable- such as replacing breads and pastas with vegetables and grain pastes, quitting fast food, etc. Then once you've lost the weight you want to lose, you can actually keep doing the "diet" or habits or whatever and maintain your weight, instead of rushing back to fast food because you felt like you were starving on the diet.

It's important to realize that if you're used to eating junk, cold-turkey is virtually impossible. I tend to binge-eat in the evenings because I smoke medical marijuana and the munchies just take over like nobody's business. I'm now on this raw diet thing, which is basically like being a supervegan, and I try to binge on healthy foods instead (it's still not good to binge, but it's a step.) However, every single day I make a point of eating one "bad thing." The other day it was popcorn because I went to the movies. Last night I had a chocolate chip cookie. The point is that if I don't allow myself that little something, I'll crave it and crave it and about five days in I'll end up eating a pound of cookie dough and blowing everything to hell. Moderation is key. It's only been five days on this diet thing, and I've been sick so I haven't been able to exercise, and I've still lost about five pounds. Once my lungs clear up and I can go to the gym again I'm confident that it'll start just dropping off.

I went off-topic. Sorry about that. I'm just really excited :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The 650 pound virgin has a girlfriend. I don't have a boyfriend. What he doing right that I not?
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The 650 pound virgin has a girlfriend. I don't have a boyfriend. What he doing right that I not?

He is famous
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    That must be so devastating. I know how it is on a smaller scale, I lost 40lbs 8 year ago in 6 months, and put back on 80lbs. The weight loss and gain was all due to disordered eating.

Just proves that you can't fix the outside if you're still broken on the inside :(
  • TheChosenOne_
    Options
    Damn 650lbs..
    Man I wish him luck on losing weight....and I hope he loses his virginity some day lol
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I watched this when it aired a couple of years ago and he had lost the weight. I think it is courageous of him to come forward now to admit he didn't have it all together.

I'm glad to hear he realizes he needs to work on the inside as well as the outside. I see many in real life and here struggling in lose and gain cycles not realizing that there are emotional issues they need to address. It's often not just a simple matter of controlling calories in/out.
  • Naturally_sassy0525
    Naturally_sassy0525 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This is really heartbreaking!
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! I got lots of male attention growing up (pretty girl, developed early.etc) and I was extremely uncomfortable with the fact that I seemingly couldn't leave my home without some pervert making a comment about my appearance. When I started gaining weight, the attention lightened up which was such a RELIEF. I'm 40 now and a new vegan, so I'm committed to losing weight. I live in a different environment where people are more respectful of each other (I grew up in a poor/high crime urban neighborhood), so I have little fear my previous situation will return.:wink:
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hey I weighed more and now weight 248lbs, 6 years after I started... I am still losing currently, but have gone up and down a bit. It is a hard road but I will never be in that position again. I figured out what things actually mean to me, and what it takes to keep it off... I enjoy the exercise, the life, the clothes, and even the food..

My surgery is probably a year or so away, I plan to reach 220 before I schedule everything.

I am 6'3 on a really large frame, and the surgeon expects me to drop 30+lbs from removal of what I can't lose so I may be in the 190s by the end... Which is shocking to me lol..

Wish I could talk to this guy one on one, I am one of the few people in the world that actually knows 100% what he is going through.

I saw from another post how much you have lost over the last several years. That is awesome. Great achievement. I agree he could benefit from talking to someone like you.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    That poor man so sad
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I know when I lost 50lbs I gained 75 back within three years.

It was tough, so I really want to lose it and keep it off this time!
  • skinnyjuu
    skinnyjuu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very sad story.. Hope he's able to overcome his insecurities and lose again..
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    I lost 56lb five years ago on a 'diet' and gained back 98lb. Thats why MFP is so great because its about breaking bad habits so you are not dieting but actually jst learning to eat healthier. If this poor gentleman had the support we have from friends on this site maybe he wouldnt have gained it back.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    This is a wakeup call for all of us losing weight.

WE MUST ALL GO INTO MAINTENANCE WHEN WE REACH OUR GOAL.
    And we must encourage each other to keep the weight off.

A friend of mine lost 100 pounds and reached her goal.
    Then she said: "I can start eating again."
    (That is a huge mistake!)

So she did go back to her bad eating habits ... and gained it all back in a couple of years...plus another 20 pounds.

No one here can afford to do that. We must stay at our goal weights.
    We cannot "start eating again."
    :heart:

The key is to never "stop eating" I think.
  • lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for this guy, and his story got me thinking that this should remind us all that we should find a healthy sustainable way to lose weight, and shun VLCD, or fad diets, which are unsustainable in the long term.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I myself have tried to (and succeeded in) losing large amounts of weight, before. First, I lost 70 lbs. When I moved to a new city, the stresses of being young, impoverished, and on my own eventually slowed, then reversed, my progress... as I coped with emotional turmoil in the only way I knew how: food. The same goes for when I lost 44 lbs. I hit another stressful period in my life, and again I boomeranged back by using food to cope. Both of these times, I did heavy strength training and cardio, building significant muscle in addition to losing body fat.

This guy clearly has deep-rooted issues, and a serious food addiction tied to those issues. He needs intensive, one-on-one counselling with a qualified therapist who specializes in disordered eating. Focusing only on the physical without dealing with his emotional issues is like one hand clapping. Maybe group therapy could also work, in tandem with individual therapy, but the effectiveness of group depends on the person (I am not personally fond of it). Individual therapy is what eventually broke my cycle of compulsive and binge eating, as well as many "diet" behaviours and thought patterns I didn't even realise I had until they were pointed out to me as such (for example, the "all or nothing" mentality). It also got me to build up a toolbox of non-food ways to cope with life's various situations that triggered me to eat when I wasn't physically hungry. That's very important, to have something to replace food as your way of coping, and not just leave yourself without any way at all. I am now in recovery, and go for monthly "check-in" sessions with my therapist. I still have treats, but they're much, much smaller. Even the thought of one of my binges, or even a 1/4 of one of my binges, or compulsively eating crap foods stretched out over the course of a day, is positively nauseating.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!