Runners...what brand shoe do you run in?

Options

Replies

• lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I run in Saucony Kinvara 2 for short runs (less than 8 miles) and recently switched to Brooks Launch for long runs. I ran in Brooks Adrenaline seriese for several years, but after spending some time in Merrell PaceGloves (minimalist), my stride/strike/form corrected and the additional support in the Adrenaline became unnecessary (and painful).
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I run in Saucony Kinvara 2s. They're decently firm, but minimalist, so I work more muscles in my feet and ankles. It took a little while to adjust, but I love them. They're light and great for my knees and come in awesome colors :)

Also if you have wider feet and low-ish arches, Saucony is wonderful. They fit my foot like a glove straight from the box.

x2

They aren't really minimalist though. Sure that might be what the style is called, but all it means is that they have a very low heel to toe drop.

Kinvaras are road/racing shoes for midfoot and toe strikers. The lack of a big heel helps to enforce/force midfoot and/or toe striking. Kivaras do have a good amount of cusioning though, they aren't like vibrams or other approaching barefoot shoes in that respect, there just isn't extra in the heel like a traditional running shoe.

More and more people are switching to low drop shoes; midfoot striking is a biomechanically superior way to run and it does cut down on a lot of the stress in the legs. It is a lot easier to do when you aren't running in what amount to high heels.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I did reeboks they worked well for me.
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Karhu Fluids - I am on my 3rd pair and they were discontinued so I need to find a new shoe. :(
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Nike Zoom Structure currently. I have flat feet and tend to overpronate. I also like Saucony, but I can't remember the model (decided on the Nike because they were prettier LOL). I'll probably try Saucony next time as I bought a second pair of the Nikes (same style, same year, just a different color) and they don't seem to fit as well.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm a Nike girl and my current (road) running shoe is the Nike Pegasus. I stocked up on a ridiculous amount when they were starting to get discontinued, so I think I have 6 pairs of the same shoe (I know, a bit OCD). I'm trying out a pair of Montrail for my trail running because I found the Nike Pegasus Trail running shoe just doesn't have a thick enough sole for me on rocky terrain. Nothing worse than sharp jabs of rocks beneath your feet 7-8 miles into a run.

I have tried, with little to no success: Brooks, New Balance, Asics and Saucony.
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Brooks Adrenaline. My favorite! I'm on my 5th pair. If you are going to do a lot of running I would recommend going to a running shoe store and getting a gait analysis. They will analize how your foots hits when you run and then recommend shoes based on that. I did it and I have LOVED the results. Also it is best to get running shoes 1/2 to 1 whole size bigger than your regular shoes. Your feet swell when you run and you need extra room. Good shoes are key. Good luck!

^^^^This!!! I'm on my 3rd pair. Love them!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Brooks... I wear them up to 350-400 miles then get fitted for new ones.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I just bought some new balance minimals, that of course, are on sale, because they have newer ones (which are too thin).. but I got the 730's, and this is the first time, in my life, that I've put a shoe on, out of the box, ran and no pain, whatsoever!!

So, definitely check out the NB Minimus, and the other minimals.
  • RunningAggie
    Options
    Mizuno Wave Nexus 5 for my training runs, and Mizuno Wave Creation 13 for race days. I have wide feet, high arches, and neutral something-or-other. It's late--I'm tired. Anyway, I started running again in January, and the Mizuno shoes are working for me.
    '

You just described my foot!! I also use the Mizuno Wave Creation (on my 3rd pair) and love them!
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Vibram 5 finger......the loo kfunny but I love them!
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm a Nike girl and my current (road) running shoe is the Nike Pegasus. I stocked up on a ridiculous amount when they were starting to get discontinued, so I think I have 6 pairs of the same shoe (I know, a bit OCD). I'm trying out a pair of Montrail for my trail running because I found the Nike Pegasus Trail running shoe just doesn't have a thick enough sole for me on rocky terrain. Nothing worse than sharp jabs of rocks beneath your feet 7-8 miles into a run.

I have tried, with little to no success: Brooks, New Balance, Asics and Saucony.

I know.. I just found these NB's that I love, and I'm going to buy as many as I can, now.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running, but I run in Nike+ Vomero 7 and Nike pegasus Livestrong + shoes, because nike gave them to me for free when i wrote them a nice letter. I need a stable ride, though as I am a beginner and not racing, despite having avery neutral gait that nike analysed for me, which was an amazing experience.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm an ASICS girl... (occasionally Saucony).
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

pegasus trail shoes are half price here, I'm soooo tempted
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've been running in Brooks Adrenaline's for 3 years now and I love them! I have a wide foot but wear the double wides to give my toes plenty of room. I was surprised when the owner of the running store recommended the double wides, but it was the right choice for me!

As others have stated, if you are just starting out, go to a specialty running store and get fitted for the shoes that are right for you and replace them every 300-500 miles. Your body will thank you for it!
  • jensfrogwild
    jensfrogwild Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ive been running in Asics Kayanos - love the 16s.....havent been impressed with the 17 or 18s. I just recently tried the Asics 3020s.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    New to running too and I love my Brooks Ghost 5 which I was fitted for. The Nike were nice, but there was a seam in it that I knew would probably rub the top of my foot.
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    Reebok Zigtechs. GREAT shoe!! Comfy and very supportive. I HIGHLY recommend!! : )
  • monicasuze
    monicasuze Posts: 37
    Options
    I have Nike Frees, New Balance Minimus Trail and Merrell Barefoot Road Glove.