Runners...what brand shoe do you run in?

Options

Replies

• Bpothik13
    Bpothik13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I took a lot of people's advice here and went to a running store and tried on about 5 or 6 pairs before I went with Brooks. Btw, I had NO clue that when buying running shoes,I should buy up to a size larger than what I would be wearing in a dress shoe...I was overwhelmed with trying on half sizes, whole sizes and wider widths, but in the end, was happy with my choice!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Another Brooks Adrenaline fan here! These are my first official running shoes and I love them! WAY less pain than I used to have running in my NB crosstrainers (definitely the wrong shoe for running) and I've even been able to run a bit faster.

Also want to chime in on the advice to get fitted and add that you should probably do this at least every other time you buy a new pair, especially since they tend to change the designs every few years. The rule of thumb I've heard on replacement is once a year but, like tires for your car, it totally depends on how much mileage you put on them.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Vibram five fingers. I'll never purchase a different pair of shoes. It's helped my stride, my hips, my arch.... everything! Just start out at low miles and work your way up...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been running in Asics Gel Nimbus shoes for a few years now. They come out with minor modifications from year to year but so far so good. (According to Runners World shoe finder I could run in almost anything as long as they fit properly - I'm one of the lucky ones.........)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I currently run in Saucony shoes. I'm not madly in love with them, but they work and I don't have any issues. I've been through 2 pairs of Nike (felt like running on a cloud until my feet went numb & I got knee pains), 4 different pairs of Asics (1160 were good-but not enough cushion for a lot of sidewalk running-the other 3 pairs didn't work for various reasons), 2 pairs of Brooks (just never got a good fit with these). I've played cindarella enough and I'll stick with the saucony until I have a reason not to.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I wear Asics 2170's. I'm on my 5th pair and LOVE them!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm a Nike girl and my current (road) running shoe is the Nike Pegasus. I stocked up on a ridiculous amount when they were starting to get discontinued, so I think I have 6 pairs of the same shoe (I know, a bit OCD). I'm trying out a pair of Montrail for my trail running because I found the Nike Pegasus Trail running shoe just doesn't have a thick enough sole for me on rocky terrain. Nothing worse than sharp jabs of rocks beneath your feet 7-8 miles into a run.

I have tried, with little to no success: Brooks, New Balance, Asics and Saucony.

pegasus trail shoes are half price here, I'm soooo tempted

They're good shoes, but more of a hybrid rather than a true trail running shoe. So if you plan on being on road and trail, they should be fine. I was on a trail run that was about 90% trail only, so they just weren't well suited for my needs. They are extremely comfortable though.

For the record, I have a low arch and I'm a neutral runner (don't tend to pronate at all) and I like shoes with a wider toe box. These are amazing.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tonyrd3000
    tonyrd3000 Posts: 20
    Options
    To those who are taking up running and are looking for new shoes my advice is to go to a true running store. Most of them will put you in a neutral shoe and either have you run/walk or will put you on a treadmill. They will evaluate the way your feet hit and will usually offer you a few choices based off that. My ex wife tried that once. They had her try on shoes and even encouraged her to take them around the block. The Air Force has really been pushing shoe clinics at a lot of their events lately too. Also, pay attention to the age of your shoe. If you run in them too long, they can get so broken down they may be comfortable, but they can damage your feet. Being a cheapskate is why I deal with plantar fascitis [sp?] on my left foot. Oh as far as me? I used to run with New Balance 768. However, once they wore out I went to Asics. I need a stability shoe, so I am running in a 2160. Have tried the 1100 series Asics, but they don't seem to be built as sturdy. As for old models, Road Runner sports sometimes carries models that are from a few years ago but were popular. They get hold of a batch of them and put them out there for those looking for a specific shoe.
  • adammoney
    adammoney Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree with going to a running store. They saw I overpronate so I got some shoes that help correct that.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing my walks and short training runs in nature's shoes (bare feet) and my longer runs in Merrell Road Glove minimal shoes. I'm going to convert some of my training runs to barefoot running to work on my form.

Like all the other barefoot zealots, I highly recommend giving it a try.
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Fell in love the first time I put my Brook's Adreneline's on. I have flat feet so had to get used to the arch support but am training for a 5k with a lot of weight on me and I never get sore feet. :) My friends who run minis swear by Brook's
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I love my Under Armours for shorter/interval runs and Sauconys for longer runs.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Brooks! Currently, GTS 12. I love them. I wore Nike's for the Chicago Marathon a few years ago, and they were good, but when I changed to Brooks my feet just felt better all the time.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm into variety. I have Vivo Barefoots, I use for shorter runs. I just bought Saucony Nirvana's for treadmill and mid length runs, and am wearing a Nike Pegasus to marathon train. I ran my last half in a Brook Pure Cadence (it was too much stabilization and made legs sore). I really think my Nike Free's are some of my all around favorites though and I just keep going back to them after trying others.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Loyal Vibram FF and New Balance Minimus fanatic.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing my walks and short training runs in nature's shoes (bare feet) and my longer runs in Merrell Road Glove minimal shoes. I'm going to convert some of my training runs to barefoot running to work on my form.

Like all the other barefoot zealots, I highly recommend giving it a try.
    I use Merrell Glove. Love them but wish I could go complely barefoot but where I'm from the heat goes up to 115F-120F in summer.LOL!
  • davegruper
    davegruper Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Brooks Defyance 5. I have been in the Defyance line for three years and have never had a problem. Prior to that, I was in Mizuno wave runners and I was consistently getting shin splints. No problems since the switch.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Brooks Adrenaline GTS and I love them.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Brooks Adrenaline. My favorite! I'm on my 5th pair. If you are going to do a lot of running I would recommend going to a running shoe store and getting a gait analysis. They will analize how your foots hits when you run and then recommend shoes based on that. I did it and I have LOVED the results. Also it is best to get running shoes 1/2 to 1 whole size bigger than your regular shoes. Your feet swell when you run and you need extra room. Good shoes are key. Good luck!

^^^ Ditto, but I run in the Glycerin my hubby runs Adrenaline. Great shoes, I use New Balance for regular lifting/aerobics classes and such, but needed a better fit for running. The local shoe guy fixed me up, I tried Mizz, but didn't work for me.