Found guilty, teen to serve year in fatal texting crash

Options

Replies

• MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I also believe you shouldn't get multiple chances for things like this. When I was 22, I got hit by a drunk driver at 2pm. She totaled my car. This was her THIRD arrest for being drunk! WTF!? There are things in life that you should get a second chance at and things where if you eff up once, you should be done.
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    So, be honest.

How many of you text while driving?
    How many of you never have?
    How many of you have had an accident or received a ticket for texting while driving?

I use the bluetooth in case a call comes in. Other than that I text only when I get in the car to let someone know I'm leaving, since I have a lot of health issues and folks freak out, and I just have a quick "leaving now" template that goes to everyone that's worried.
    The only time that I texted "while driving" I had to pull over because I had become ill, and it was the fastest way to reach my husband in his lab to tell him I'd gotten sick while driving. I had already pulled over but the car was on, so I guess I was technically still driving.
    Have never had an accident or gotten a ticket for texting/talking on my phone. My last ticket was for speeding (41 in a 35) and not producing proof of insurance, which I had - just not in my glove box.
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I dont ever text or talk on the phone while driving. Sometimes I hear it ring or alert but it stays in my purse or my daughter will answer it if shes with me. Most of the time I have to turn the radio down so I can concentrate. There are already too many people that don't obey the laws, I am not going to add to that and be a danger to someone else or my family. I just wish my friends would have the same courtesy and stop! I have in the past been guilty of eating...which now that i look back is also not the best choice.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I get really PO'd when I see all the distracted drivers on the road. I got a $140 ticket using a cell phone while driving and that cured me. I can't count the number of times that a distracted driver has almost hit me while merging because they aren't paying attention. Get a hands free or get off the road. Nothing is that important. Honestly, I live in NJ and I think my state should have tougher laws.

^ This! In the last 2 years I have been nearly hit at least a half a dozen times and every single time I look over and they are looking down at their phone. People need to realize the consequence of this and be prepared to deal with it.

Would you blindfold yourself for 5 seconds while driving? That is essentially what is happening when reading or responding to a text. :noway:
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is it too severe at all in fact I think the punishment for such things should be harsher in general and the fact that he's 18 means nothing. He chose to take his eyes off of the road and use his mobile while still driving. I have a very strong opinion on people who act like idiot's behind the wheel of a car owing to being hit and hospitalised 2ce by such people. Both times they were found to be responsible but nothing could be done due to a "lack of credible witnesses" and a friend lost her life one week before taking her final uni exams due to a drink driver running her off the road as she drove home for her birthday.

Is serving 1 or 2 years in jail strong enough for taking a life? Is having your license revoked because you have proven yourself untrustworthy too harsh, I don't think so. What happened Was an accident, yes, but it would never have happened if he hadn't taken his eyes off the road in the first place. So many accident's could be avoided by the application of common sense, but a lot of people seem to abandon their rational thinking when they sit behind a wheel.
  • tashjs21
    Options
    This was NOT severe enough. 1 year for murdering 1 person and disabling one?

Sadly, this would not be the wake-up call. PARENTS are the ones that need to control the kids. Parents need to be harsher with the kids and simply revoke the phone if they suspect use of phone while driving.

Yes, I am blaming parents for this. Its too bad in our society parents feel like they need to be friends with their children rather than be a parent

I agree with what you are saying but sadly in all of my near misses it has been mostly adults on their phones. We need to lead by example and put your phone out of your reach while you are driving.

It can wait until you stop. Heck we used to only have house phones so everything had to wait until we got our butt back home anyway. :laugh:
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Slap on the wrist for murdering someone.

^^ yup
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    This was NOT severe enough. 1 year for murdering 1 person and disabling one?

Sadly, this would not be the wake-up call. PARENTS are the ones that need to control the kids. Parents need to be harsher with the kids and simply revoke the phone if they suspect use of phone while driving.

Yes, I am blaming parents for this. Its too bad in our society parents feel like they need to be friends with their children rather than be a parent

I totally agree 100% with this. His sentence isn't nearly strict enough. The whole thing makes me sick but I don't think its going to make much difference, unfortunately.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I think the punishment is deserved.

But I'm also a little jaded because I also know the Haverhill Police Department is also in hot water currently for letting former state troopers off with drunk driving (and leaving the scene of an accident) without so much as a warning.

So when I see the same PD coming down hard on an 18 year old kid but letting ex-cops off I don't really hold out much hope that anything is going to change.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Woah..15 years no license???

I wish it would make a difference in what others did....but it wont

ITs a a heck of a lot more dangerous to drive drunk whats the penalty for that? You get three chances right? This is extreme and excessive. Poor kid

Sorry, but I disagree, if you drive drunk and kill someone (at least in Canada) you are going to prison for a LONG time. The Canadian Criminal Code has mandatory minimum sentencing for impaired driving causing death.

I also think that this decision was an important step forward in attaching real consequences to breaking these laws. Although people will do what they do we are moving to a point where distracted driving is not socially acceptable, in the same way that impaired driving is not socially acceptable. I bet when they first brought in the drunk driving laws or the seatbelt laws people were having the same conversations about how this would have no impact on the number of people who choose to drive drunk or drive without their seat belts (though of course, not to such large groups of wonderful people) but look at society now. Yes some people still engage in these risky (and illegal) activities, but the number is significantly less than the number that DID do this when the laws were introduced!
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options

ITs a a heck of a lot more dangerous to drive drunk whats the penalty for that? You get three chances right? This is extreme and excessive. Poor kid

Drunk driving that results in a death does not normally result in a lesser penalty.

There have been studies which have proved that texting is more dangerous than driving drunk.
    Here in South Africa, if you are driving drunk and somebody is killed you get tried for murder.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Anyone defending the actions of a distracted driver is a fool. It's as bad as saying McDonald's is why you are FAT.

Every choice you make has reactions that happen all around you. If you cause an accident that results in death, YOU ARE A MURDERER. YOU CHOSE to be the Cause of the accident. And you should be punished as so.

This statement is contradictory, by its very derivation Murder is premeditated a premeditated act of ill will, are you saying that the person driving the car actively singled out the people he killed and injured?

I am by no means defending the incident and believe the punishment may not be severe enough however in my eyes there is a huge differential here between what happened and murder
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    An even greater punishment would be to prohibit him from ever owning a cell phone again.
  • tashjs21
    Options
    The following people are also stupid,

Those who read

Well, lets stop the education system in the World now.... we have just found the reason why many people are stupid... they read

I am pretty sure he was referring to people who read while driving. :flowerforyou:
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Not at all. I get really PO'd when I see all the distracted drivers on the road. I got a $140 ticket using a cell phone while driving and that cured me. I can't count the number of times that a distracted driver has almost hit me while merging because they aren't paying attention. Get a hands free or get off the road. Nothing is that important. Honestly, I live in NJ and I think my state should have tougher laws.

ITA...I live in NC and texting is illegal but there are no laws against cell phone use. I HATE it when I get behind someone who can't hold a steady speed and who weaves in and out of their lane; invariably, I see them looking up and down at their lap and know what they're doing. Anyone who says they can do it safely is full of ****, period.
  • tashjs21
    Options
    An even greater punishment would be to prohibit him from ever owning a cell phone again.

Sadly that would probably be a harsher punishment for most people these days. *smh*
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Drunk driving that results in a death does not normally result in a lesser penalty.

In Mass., according to MADD, the penatly for driving drunk and killing someone is 30 day to 15 years

with texting normally a finable offense

1st offense-$100
    2nd offense-$250
    3rd or subs offense-$500
  • vade43113
    Options

Those who read

Well, lets stop the education system in the World now.... we have just found the reason why many people are stupid... they read

I am pretty sure he was referring to people who read while driving. :flowerforyou:

yay flowers!!!

I know, but he didn't say that. And this thread seems too gloomy. I wanted to have a bit of fun.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Those who read

yay flowers!!!

I know, but he didn't say that. And this thread seems too gloomy. I wanted to have a bit of fun.

AKA stir up drama.

You seriously want to have fun about people dying?
  • vade43113
    Options

Those who read

yay flowers!!!

AKA stir up drama.

You seriously want to have fun about people dying?

Look, it is sad that one guy died... it is sad that one lady was injured.... It is sad that the kid is going to prison... but sitting around here and talking about it isn't going to change facts. At most it will just maybe make one person, think about doing it the next time around... MAYBE

Edit:

Humans are very, now, orianted people. We think more of the present, than the future and it's consequences the actions may cause. If we thought more on the future, the result would be simple.... no MFP, No weight issues save from medical ones, no broken laws, no fun, no living life to it's fullest. There is a cause and effect for everything, If I am hated for poking some fun at some else's post... so be it.