As a kid I did _____ and probably burned 1000 cals a day

Options

Replies

• MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Basketball outside from dusk till dawn and probably burned 1000 calories a day.

my mom had to beg me to come in and eat and do homework.
  • davegruper
    davegruper Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was outside all day until the street lights came on--playing tag, football, basketball, baseball, soccer, golf, swimming -- whatever was in season and whatever the guys in the neighborhood were up for. I also rode my bike everywhere! I was a rail.

I was only in the house on bad weather days.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Trying to remember what I did as a kid that I really loved so I can try some of it again. I want my cardio to be fun!!! :bigsmile:

So when I was a kid I know I did hoola hooping and jump roping and probably burned a thousand calories a day.

What did you do? Any and all ideas appreciated!

Skipped School.

My schedule for the first half of high school was:
    Wake up at 5am.
    Walk gf 2 miles to the bus station so she could go to school.
    Get picked up by mom on her way to work.
    Get off at the yacht club near school and paddle for 1-2 hours.
    Attend morning role call
    Leave school ~9AM if no exams that day, go to the park and play basketball/hang out for 4-5 hours
    Come back to school for football practice for 3 hours
    Evening paddle for 1-2 hours
    Go home and go to sleep

I'm very lucky I lived in the sticks and attendance didn't cause me to fail (and that I was good at taking tests). It was nice being able to eat absolutely anything and everything I felt like and not gain weight.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Rode my bike everywhere. Built some sick ramps :)
    Climbed trees
    Trampoline
    Soccer
    Swimming in our lake

People might look at me strange if I started climbing trees. But the rest i try and do still.
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options

Sorry for not knowing but what is DDR?

Dance Dance Revolution, my friend. It's the dancing equivalent of Guitar Hero, really. You have to step on the directional arrows on a pad in rhythm with the music. Loads of fun... I used to do it for hours when my ex-husband and I first got married.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    In my teenage years I would spend hours playing DDR either at home or at the arcade

Sorry for not knowing but what is DDR?

DDR = Dance, Dance, Revolution (I think!)
  • EnuffaMyButt
    EnuffaMyButt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have to tell you that I hula hoop everyday! It's my daily workout. It's amazing and has trimmed my entire body down in no time!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I walked to school, uphill both ways, carrying my sister on my back........

:wink: :wink:

No, actually - I grew up with 7 siblings. There were a number of very large families in the neighborhood (big Catholic groups!), and we'd play games like dodgeball, Draw a Magic Circle, Pom-Pom-Pullaway, Statue Maker.................I know, ya'll probably don't know what those games are, but suffice it to say it was FUN!

All summer long, we'd pack a lunch of peanut butter or bologna sandwiches, and be gone for the whole day. Hike to the Zoo (and sneak under the fence), walk for miles along a public beach, hike up to a rock quarry (where there were some awesome swimming holes), ride bikes we loaned from our cousins (I never had my own bike until I was 21, and bought it for myself !) Never a dull moment................and TV? Hardly ever watched it, except for nighttime and cold winter nights.

Oh yeah, in the winter.....ice-skating at the local rink until your toes were numb, snowball fights and sliding down hills on cardboard and making snow tunnels......we also had a nearby "Rec Center" where they had a huge trampoline and swimming pool and gym.............would run for hours and never get tired!

I have begun hiking in the areas where I did as a kid..........really enjoying seeing this sites again (even though there are a lot of changes, it sure brings back the memories!)
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    swam all day long & loved riding my bike!!
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I had a POGO BALL! I used to jump on that friggin thing all day!

Loved the Pogo Ball!!!! Loved, loved, loved it!
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I used to play soccer and I took swimming at the YMCA for a while. I miss those times.
  • echandle12
    echandle12 Posts: 82
    Options
    SKIP IT
  • waanju
    waanju Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    hmmm let's see
    played at least 3 sports each season
    biked/scootered/walked to friends' houses and the mall all the time
    had epic battles in the backyard
    swam races against my brothers every day for a couple hours
    "wrestled" brothers
    climbed the fence between my yard and my friend's
    epic, neighborhood-wide tag games
    Basketball hoop
    Also, I did it all while holding about 15 pounds of dolls and doll stuff. :P

Which is why I was SCRAWNY until high school. My mother literally used to feed me peanut butter to fatten me up.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Swimming for HOURS in the summer!

Skip It & jump rope

Scooter! I loved my scooter!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Swam like a fish..and rode my bike all over. Was a baton twirler....

If you loved hula hooping though, try a weighted hula hoop! It takes awhile to get used to, but it is VERY good for the midsection...and if you get really good, you can move to a lighter hoop and do all sorts of fun dancy type things with them :)

I am not to that point yet...but I HAVE been able to now use a lighter one I made a few months ago...and could not keep moving at the time ;) I got my main one from Canyon Hoops online, and filled it with water. If you were good at it as a kid though, you can look up tutorials online to make your own like I did for my second, lighter one. I filled that one with water too, but it's a lot lighter, and I'm able to spin it up over my head now... :bigsmile:
  • Peachy_T
    Peachy_T Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    rode my bike, walked/ran everywhere, and was the jump rope and hula-hoop queen of the neighborhood!! Those were the *real* good old days!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Rode my bike or walked everywhere, played baseball, mowed, raked, stacked wood, shoveled snow, cleaned...what didn't I do?

Even on the days we (me and a bunch of the neighborhood kids) went to the pool, we biked the 1-2 miles there, then swam for a few hours, then biked all the way back home.

As a teenager, I'd walk about 2 miles to the school for field hockey practice, do drills then walk home. And I'd bike about 3 miles to my friends house and bike home. Most of the time when I hung out with my friends, we'd be walking somewhere - we rarely just sat around.

No wonder I took about 20 years off and mostly sat on my ever widening *kitten* - I was tired! LOL! j/k
  • waanju
    waanju Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Also, indoor couch parkour, aka "the floor is lava".

THIS! All day. We also did "the white tiles are traps" and hopped from colored tile to colored tile at school.
  • BecomingElle
    BecomingElle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Let's see....

I did dancing and horse riding as my "real" sports. And I want to do them again so badly!

I also lived on a little bit of land... so we used to run around, climb on big rocks, in trees, across streams...walk down to a berry bush and swing on the tyre swing, collect some berries to bring home.

There was also a natural bush walk that lead to a river for swimming...

I also used to ride my bike everywhere to visit neighbours and such. I also used to have to walk up this giant hill carrying a go-cart so we could ride it back down! Haha We also had a trampoline and a big dog that loved to be played with... we also used to just mess around in the pool! Seeing who could do the most amount of laps underwater.

All this time I did these things without even thinking about it! They were just what I found fun. I want to do them all again, I feel like by not doing them I've lost part of who I am... if that makes sense? hahaha :)
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I lived on a farm.

Tossing hay bales 5 tiers high, rode my horse, took care of cows, chickens, pigs, rabbits and pheasants. Cutting and chopping wood the old fashioned way. Yeah, had some killer arm muscles HeeHee. Swimming on the weekends.