Michigan

Options
124»

Replies

• alicialiken
    alicialiken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Born & raised! Grew up in Bay City, graduated from CMU and now living in Farmington Hills. I love Pure Michigan... long weekend vacations are fun in Ludington, Traverse City, Tawas. Kayaking, canoeing, boating, hiking, tubing, wine tasting!...so much to do. In the winter, I spend a lot of time at the gym =)
  • The_new_Amy
    Options
    Brooklyn here (home of Michigan International Speedway). I grew up on Lake Erie and used to swim indoors in the winter. Now, my hubby and I plan to build a home gym in the basement when we buy another home. He's currently in Afghanistan but being work out partners is a huge part of our plan to stay motivated. We're looking to move more north and are anticipating the longer, harsher winters.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Flint area here (Montrose). In the winter, shoveling the white crap that falls from the sky is a hell of a workout. I also have a long *kitten* drive away. I also have a Treadmill, Bike and Elliptical, hand weights and some dvd's. Oh and the weight bench.
  • aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yup! I'm from the Detroit area. I have a hard time keeping motivated in the winter too. I bought an elliptical machine a couple of winters ago and that has helped a *little* bit.
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186
    Options
    Farmington Hills

51907516_display_image.jpg
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    flint, michigan here. it's easy to get exercize when dodging bullets.

actually, i prefer winter. i detest the sound of mosquitos buzzing in my ears.

ahahahahaha....as a flint native myself, this is quite funny
  • Chelseebird
    Chelseebird Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just moved to Michigan! Just getting back into it again as well. I am in the down river area. maybe we could all do a meet up? There are so many beautiful parks here.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm from Michigan - I live in a suburb of Flint.

Considering the whacky weather here, I joined a gym. Insures that I don't have to worry about what weird stuff the weather wants to do. I found one that was 24/7 so I can go when it is convenient for me.
  • elispine
    elispine Posts: 23
    Options
    From Kalamazoo originally, moved to the U.P. almost 10 years ago. Number one reason for joining MFP...I don't want to go outside EVER in the winter BRRR!! Feel free to add me.
  • skeck
    skeck Posts: 46
    Options
    I live in Midland - from St. Johns (just north of Lansing).

I ALWAYS fall off the exercise wagon during the winter. My big motivator is about setting mini-goals to have something to reach for. I've recently been doing various workout DVD's at home and that's been great!

Winters in Michigan seem like they should be spent in hibernation, though :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Brooklyn here (home of Michigan International Speedway). I grew up on Lake Erie and used to swim indoors in the winter. Now, my hubby and I plan to build a home gym in the basement when we buy another home. He's currently in Afghanistan but being work out partners is a huge part of our plan to stay motivated. We're looking to move more north and are anticipating the longer, harsher winters.

I've been to MIS for NASCAR races... I bet you wanna get the heck outta there on the race weekends. It is INSANE around there! ;)
  • Mom2PresNGrace
    Options
    Midland, MI here. This is the first time in my life that I've done any kind of exercise regimen, so I don't know for sure how the winter will effect my motivation. My plan is to visit the gym, use my treadmill and DVDs which is what I'm doing now - minus the gym.
  • ddog6
    ddog6 Posts: 13
    Options
    I live in Kalamazoo and surprisingly it's easier for me in the winter to stay motivated but I joined Planet Fitness in the Spring and will probably still go there in the winter.. in the Summer I just want to lay in the pool and do nothing! LOL
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Grew up in Toledo (ick), lived in Ypsi for many many years (went to EMU for undergrad). Spent summers in Bridgman, MI (where my mom is from). Now I live in Minnesota. Winters are comparable to MI, however, MN knows how to take care of the snow better than SE downstate. When Ann Arbor and Ypsi get shut down because we get a foot of snow dumped on us (which we knew about at least 48 hours in advance), it's laughable. A foot of snow is par for the course out here. Plus it's sunny most of the winter (at least compared to OH winters), which makes it that much more enjoyable.

I went to EMU too!! would be funny if we were there together. I remember things not shutting down with the snow. I had to go to my pre-student teaching experiences in horrible snow that never seemed to get plowed or treated and everything was still open.

<
    EMU Grad (graduated in 2008)....I remember having to go to class in the snow, too! I'm originally from a place called Algonac (look it up)....lived in Ypsilanti and Canton, then moved here to Raleigh, North Carolina...missing home, hating it and planning to move back to Michigan early next year :) I can't wait to move back! It's gonna be weird..I've been away for 3 years!
  • TinaBina313
    TinaBina313 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm in Detroit!!! Iove walking/running Outer Dr in the summertime. For the winter, depending on how cold it is I will still go for a walk but I have invested in a lot of exercise DVD's
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Sterling Heights here! I bought some Zumba DVD's to help me get through the winter. I figured the hot latin beats would help my mood improve when it is frickin freezing outside.

Now that summer has hit I haven't done a DVD - there is just too much fun stuff to do! Biking, soccer, basketball, swimming at one of the many beaches.
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    From Chicago, but attended school in Kalamazoo. Love the area ...pretty much the entire western half of the state really. What I miss most of all is having Bell's right around the corner. I love that bar!
  • Bxrlvr73
    Bxrlvr73 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Lived in the "thumb" my whole life and love it!

Zumba and Jillian Michaels dvds get me though the winter.