What do you do when you don't like vegtables!

Options
1235»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that eating cooked or raw has nothing to do with the nutritional value of veggies.

That's not always true. Heat destroys some nutrients, so overcooking vegetables can lower the nutritional value. For most green vegetables it's best not to cook them beyond the "bright green" stage to avoid destroying nutrients. But is some cases, such a tomatoes and some root vegetables, the nutritional content actually increases with cooking.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that eating cooked or raw has nothing to do with the nutritional value of veggies.

That's not always true. Heat destroys some nutrients, so overcooking vegetables can lower the nutritional value. For most green vegetables it's best not to cook them beyond the "bright green" stage to avoid destroying nutrients. But is some cases, such a tomatoes and some root vegetables, the nutritional content actually increases with cooking.
    About the tomatoes, that is actually incorrect. The nutrients/antioxidants just become more dense/concentrated giving results that would appear to make cooking tomatos more beneficial than eating them raw.

Just eat both raw and cooked vegetables daily...there are advantages to both cooking and eating vegetables raw.
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    It's not against the law to dis-like vegetables. As long as you're reaching your goals and are happy......
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

About the tomatoes, that is actually incorrect. The nutrients/antioxidants just become more dense/concentrated giving results that would appear to make cooking tomatos more beneficial than eating them raw.

Just eat both raw and cooked vegetables daily...there are advantages to both cooking and eating vegetables raw.

Source: http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicle/02/4.25.02/tomato_research.html
    Cooking tomatoes -- such as in spaghetti sauce -- makes the fruit heart-healthier and boosts its cancer-fighting ability. All this, despite a loss of vitamin C during the cooking process, say Cornell food scientists. The reason: cooking substantially raises the levels of beneficial compounds called phytochemicals.

Writing in the April 17 issue of the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, Rui Hai Liu, M.D., Cornell assistant professor of food science, notes, "This research demonstrates that heat processing actually enhanced the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing the lycopene content -- a phytochemical that makes tomatoes red -- that can be absorbed by the body, as well as the total antioxidant activity. The research dispels the popular notion that processed fruits and vegetables have lower nutritional value than fresh produce."
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I also hate veggies like nobody's business. I never was coerced or forced into eating them as a kid and never even remotely developed a taste for them. Trust me when I say I am probably the pickiest eater you could imagine in the veggie dept.

I have found, though, that steamed carrots (with spices) or steam broccoli (with spices and some spray-on Can't Believe It's Not Butter) seem to do the trick. I don't LIKE them, but I don't mind them. It just stinks because they take a little time to prepare right. But give them a shot!
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    MASH THEM! :p With a potato or a sweet potato. Mmmmm.

^^^^This is actually a GREAT idea, play around with spice combinations and your could have some magic happen.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options

Source: http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicle/02/4.25.02/tomato_research.html
    Cooking tomatoes -- such as in spaghetti sauce -- makes the fruit heart-healthier and boosts its cancer-fighting ability. All this, despite a loss of vitamin C during the cooking process, say Cornell food scientists. The reason: cooking substantially raises the levels of beneficial compounds called phytochemicals.

Writing in the April 17 issue of the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, Rui Hai Liu, M.D., Cornell assistant professor of food science, notes, "This research demonstrates that heat processing actually enhanced the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing the lycopene content -- a phytochemical that makes tomatoes red -- that can be absorbed by the body, as well as the total antioxidant activity. The research dispels the popular notion that processed fruits and vegetables have lower nutritional value than fresh produce."
    Cooking food does not simply increase nutritional content...a food can't gain more antioxidants simply from cooking it. What cooking actually does is increase the bioavailability of what nutrients happen to already be in the food...it simply makes what nutrients are present more available to your body to absorb.