The Fat Acceptance Movement… Thoughts??

Options

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Dude, she said she wanted to continue the discussion since the previous one petered out due to being just a sidenote to the other discussion. That's totally legit.

If you say so. I don't really see how you're going to get more information than has previously shared on this.

As far as not wanting to search for the previous thread goes, I don't happen to think it's hard to keep track of those things, but I understand that it doesn't really matter what I think about that either.

Really my only possible objection to having this discussion is that it ends up being a lot of wheel spinning at the cost of getting people riled up. People have already been riled up. I've seen the previous threads.

I guess I just dispute the idea that anything new or interesting is going to happen by bringing it up again. That's all. It's like junk email. Yes, yes I know TigerDirect, you have a sale on laptops, surprising no one. That kind of thing.
  • danahake
    danahake Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think its a love yourself and others for who they are. They do still encourage exercise and healthy living. Thats my opinion. They are trying to cut back on young girls becoming anorexic and teenagers torturing each other with teasing over nonsense. I do better in life if I love myself as I am that doesnt mean I dont want to improve, because obviously I do.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't treat people differently based on their health. I'm all for fat acceptance on the basis of being kind to people regardless of what they look like.

What I'm not okay with is fat ENCOURAGEMENT.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ahem.

http://kateharding.net/faq/but-dont-you-realize-fat-is-unhealthy/

"8. Even fat people who are unhealthy still deserve dignity and respect. Still human beings. See how that works?

9. In any case, shaming teh fatties for being “unhealthy” doesn’t ****ing help. If shame made people thin, there wouldn’t be a fat person in this country, trust me. I wish I could remember who said this, ’cause it’s one of my favorite quotes of all time: “You cannot hate people for their own good.”"

Please go back and read my original post.

I NEVER suggested that people should be shamed at all, in fact said the exact opposite. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I posted that before the page showed you even said anything. I didn't quote you. It was an unfortunate accident that it was right below your post. I didn't even respond to it, so calm down.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The odds of losing weight, and keeping it off for 5+ years, aren't good. Those riding the crest of the weight loss wave, or newly maintaining a loss, may feel 'I did it. You can too.' That may be a premature statement, however.

I very much praise acceptance of all, even marginalized people. People need to accept that some people will always be fat, no matter how hard they try not to be. And the reasons for that are only partially known.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ok here is my take on the whole fat acceptance issue - I think people should accept the fact that they may be fat and not use it as an excuse. I think we are all guilty of the "oh I'll do (whatever) when I lose some weight". For example, I might be desperately wanting to learn how to salsa dance but I may only be willing to try it when I reach a certain weight, because fat people don't do that Another example, only wearing daggy old clothes because I'll get nice ones when I lose all this weight, what the hell we all deserve nice clothes no matter what weight we are.

I think there are many different facets to the whole fat acceptance thing. There are many people put there too scared to put in the effort to get healthy, there are a lot of people out there who think they aren't worthy of that effort. I do think having the mantra 'oh, that's just the way I am' is a cop out though. We all (mostly) make a conscious decision to be the weight we are, even is that decision comes in the form of 'I can't be bothered!!'. Losing weight and being healthy takes a lot of hard work and a lot of people can't really be bothered doing that so it is easier to just 'accept' their fat.
  • kathdela
    Options
    That's a fair argument. I can respect that.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I will never accept my fat. It moves too much when I try to run. That said, if anyone ever yells "Hey fatty!" At me out their car window, they risk getting a brick thrown through it.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think we need to accept people for who they are. Size doesn't equal smart or talented. It's up to the individual to decide whether they want to be healthier or not. Obesity puts us at higher risk for disease. But, again, it's really what's on the inside that counts in a person.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think that all people should be treated with basic courtesy and respect regardless of how they choose to live their life - straight, gay, trans, fit, obese, religious, non-religious. I know race, age, and disability aren't choices but they don't have any effect on the amount of respect a person deserves either. We're all people, we all have feelings, and we all need to be considerate of each other for the human race to thrive.

That said, I don't think people deserve special treatment for what they are, either (barring people who physically or mentally cannot do certain things for themselves). If you're going to tell me that society needs to change to accommodate to people who have chosen to live unhealthy lifestyles, I'm going to disagree. I think it's a little self-centered to expect the world to change for you, honestly.

I guess I kinda agree with the basic issue of respect to the emotions of the obese, but I can't justify pushing the world to make the changes a lot of the people who settle into the fat acceptance mentality won't push themselves to make.
  • kathdela
    Options
    I agree that people's size isn't who they are as a person. That is exactly why you can accept somebody as a person without accepting their obesity. You can be someone's friend and still encourage a healthier lifestyle. If I truly care about someone, I would want them to be disease free and live a long and healthy life.
    That is completely respectable as long as you mean it about everything. Do you also get on your friends who smoke or drink or go out without sunscreen?
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bump, reading later
  • kathdela
    Options
    I agree that people's size isn't who they are as a person. That is exactly why you can accept somebody as a person without accepting their obesity. You can be someone's friend and still encourage a healthier lifestyle. If I truly care about someone, I would want them to be disease free and live a long and healthy life.
    That is completely respectable as long as you mean it about everything. Do you also get on your friends who smoke or drink or go out without sunscreen?

ABSOLUTELY!

Then, by all means, that is commendable!

The problem is when people do it ONLY for weight and when they do it to/about people they don't even know.
  • SCVSarah
    SCVSarah Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Maybe not acceptance but at least decency and compassion. I am tired of being treated differently than the skinny person i happen to be hanging out with. Most of the time it's as if they just plain don't see you but sometimes they are just rude.
    ^this.

I can imagine that quality of life is not great in general for obese people (body aches, diabetes, depression or other related problems, hard to find clothing, seat belts not fitting, and the list goes on and on).

Then you add on top of that people staring and saying rude things. It horrible that people have to be so negative about "fat" people. The negativity may add to the emotional eating and why someone is obese. Weight loss is HARD, food can be a serious addiction. We all know how hard it is so why can't people be compassionate towards "fat" people rather than so critical?

That being said, I do think that parents should teach their children healthy lifestyles because it's not fair for a child to develop bad eating habits when they don't know any better. I do agree with swang45's comment about the heathcare system as well. However that shouldn't allow for people to be abusive towards "fat" people.
  • gorewhore13
    gorewhore13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So how would you judge someone like me? I'm overweight and working my *kitten* off to lose weight and change my lifestyle. I'm not accepting my own fat but you wouldn't know that if you saw me out somewhere unless I was running or working out.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont like the stereotypical assumption that all overweight people got that way eating donuts, fast food and soda. I can count on one hand how many donuts I have had in the last year. I never had more than a couple sodas a week. And once a month I treated myself to a chicken sandwich at Chick-Fil-A. What got me fat was the starches. I loaded up on pasta and potatoes. Even when I was done eating and putting the leftovers away, I would still have a little more in the kitchen! And I would make my own pies...and sweet breads.

Bad decisions. But I am doing something about it now. I sympathize with anyone who is overweight and wishes they could do something about it. But wanting to stay heavy only drives up the cost of healthcare. We all pay whether we lose the weight or not.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Ok here is my take on the whole fat acceptance issue - I think people should accept the fact that they may be fat and not use it as an excuse. I think we are all guilty of the "oh I'll do (whatever) when I lose some weight". For example, I might be desperately wanting to learn how to salsa dance but I may only be willing to try it when I reach a certain weight, because fat people don't do that Another example, only wearing daggy old clothes because I'll get nice ones when I lose all this weight, what the hell we all deserve nice clothes no matter what weight we are.

I think there are many different facets to the whole fat acceptance thing. There are many people put there too scared to put in the effort to get healthy, there are a lot of people out there who think they aren't worthy of that effort. I do think having the mantra 'oh, that's just the way I am' is a cop out though. We all (mostly) make a conscious decision to be the weight we are, even is that decision comes in the form of 'I can't be bothered!!'. Losing weight and being healthy takes a lot of hard work and a lot of people can't really be bothered doing that so it is easier to just 'accept' their fat.

this is very well said.

far as the fat acceptance movement? I'm fat. (not as fat as I was just a few months ago, however.) I accept that. so, now? I've greatly increased movement.