The Fat Acceptance Movement… Thoughts??

Options

Replies

• tbutcher8
    tbutcher8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Acceptance of where we are is always a good thing. There are many different shapes, sizes and types of people, just as there are many different shapes, sizes and types of animals. Let's not put the elephants in Africa on a diet! LOL!! Just kidding! It's a bit different as we are all human beings. However, loving ourselves and accepting ourselves and one another is key to success. It is proven that positive reinforcement is better than negative. Haranguing overweight people and judging them does not good at all, in fact it probably fuels more emotions that are not helpful to being healthy. Peace happens a bit at a time, acceptance always seems to be the first step after awareness.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I think... we should NOT treat people like s**t because they're overweight.

I don't think we should think of fat as normal and healthy.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen other posts on here with this topic so forgive me if I am being redundant. And no, I wouldn't say that I am trying to stir the pot but more so just facilitate a discussion.
    Like I said, this topic was brought up on another thread I was on but due to the number of other comments and conversations that were going on at the same time, it was hard to keep it going.

I'm confused. If the thread still exists, you should still have access to it via a search if nothing else?

You are more than welcome to choose not to read the thread since you find it redundant. I find it interesting.
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't care at ALL about adults who are obese BUT when people raise children who are obese before or in elementry school or even before they hit that crazy emotional time of puberty makes me sick.

Kids should NOT be fed fast food every day! I also think cildren should be strongly encouraged or sometimes forced :tongue: to eat their fruits and vegtables even when they don't want to. I also think that they should be active and not allowed to sit inside playing video games all day. :huh:

I make my kids eat their fruits and veggies and I make them go outside and play. I park far away at the stores and we all walk, they walk to school and I encourage them to be healthy as I think every parent should.

I really haven't heard of this "Fat Acceptance Movement" except for this post.

After reading posts about bigger airline chairs = more $ per tkt and accomidations that are going to cost us tax dollars is REDICULOUS if thats the case I do not agree at all! However, if its all about letting people be and not "discriminating" - I really don't care about overweight adults, I am trying desperately to get to a healthy body fat % and to set a better example for my kids. But, if other people are happy they way they are then - let em be!
  • CrueChix
    CrueChix Posts: 47
    Options
    It's just an excuse. Period. I don't care what anyone says, you cannot be healthy and fat at the same time.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Most people here seem to be saying that no one should be judged on appearances, everyone loved for who they are, etc. Which is true, but that is not what the fat acceptance movement is about. It's about being FORCED to make accomodations for large peopl. Example: Airlines being required to have larger seats. It's kinda like ADA but for large people who are not "disabled".

So the question here should be: How do you feel about that?

I think the clientele would make the decision, in the end. And at the point where a person needs an extra seat, I'd probably say that in most cases, that person is somewhat disabled, specifically that a person who can't fit in a mass-transport seat probably cannot also fit through the aisles easily, either.

I am not saying this o be mean or hurtful, and I hope nobody would take it that way. I have a very good friend who is disabled by her weight. She can't walk without crutches, she uses a scooter (which is very heavy. I know because I often have to prepare it for her from her car and I cannot lift it alone).

She is disabled; there is no doubt about it. I still accept her for who she is. She is funny and generous and mostly kind (she can get snappy sometimes), but I don't look down on her for who she is. In fact, in many ways, I empathize. I don't know what has been the cause of her weight: it could be anything from poor diet to a medical issue. And I am not here to judge her. There needs to be some kind of accessibility for people like her; it's simply not fair because it's not always about "choice". Some people don't have that choice, even if you think they do.

I'm not saying SHE doesn't have that choice. Like I said, I don't know what the reasons behind her disability are, but I will honestly tell you, she is disabled. And it's hard on her, too. It's hard to include her in certain activities; it's hard to talk with her about these things; it's hard for everyone, but it's our job to be compassionate and empathetic to things we can't always understand.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't care at ALL about adults who are obese BUT when people raise children who are obese before or in elementry school or even before they hit that crazy emotional time of puberty makes me sick.

Kids should NOT be fed fast food every day! I also think cildren should be strongly encouraged or sometimes forced :tongue: to eat their fruits and vegtables even when they don't want to. I also think that they should be active and not allowed to sit inside playing video games all day. :huh:

I make my kids eat their fruits and veggies and I make them go outside and play. I park far away at the stores and we all walk, they walk to school and I encourage them to be healthy as I think every parent should.

I really haven't heard of this "Fat Acceptance Movement" except for this post.

After reading posts about bigger airline chairs = more $ per tkt and accomidations that are going to cost us tax dollars is REDICULOUS if thats the case I do not agree at all! However, if its all about letting people be and not "discriminating" - I really don't care about overweight adults, I am trying desperately to get to a healthy body fat % and to set a better example for my kids. But, if other people are happy they way they are then - let em be!

My oldest child ate an organic, whole-food vegan diet until he was 2.5 years old. Then we started bringing him to a home daycare. All the kiddie parties did us in: cake, chips, French fries, candy, ice cream, pizza, etc. He was hooked, but fortunately never developed a weight problem. My youngest wasn't so lucky. She struggles with her weight, even though she shares the same parents, and food environment as my son. I would say junk-food vegetarian wasn't where I was setting my sights, but it is where we landed.

Parents have a lot to do with their kids' food and activity choices, but unless you live in a hut in the desert, they will be eventually exposed to our very pervasive food culture and 'kid' foods--generally low nutrition, high calorie junk. Other families can sabotage your efforts, or make you feel like a silly, or worse ogreish, parent--think control freak, here.

When my son went on his first sleepover at age five, I told the mother that my son was a vegetarian. She offered him a hotdog as their 'little secret', but he wisely refused it. I just learned this over a decade later when he let it slip. That's an example of how blatantly family values and habits can be undermined.

Until the food culture changes in this society, families who aim to do better by their kids will tend to meet resistance, and possibly sabotage. I wish that weren't true.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Excuse.

Please, visit Europe and see why they are all disgusted with Americans and our "fat acceptance".

It is truly shocking how huge we are compared with much of the world. No one should accept that.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Excuse.

Please, visit Europe and see why they are all disgusted with Americans and our "fat acceptance".

It is truly shocking how huge we are compared with much of the world. No one should accept that.

actually, everyone should accept that. half the problem is that we don't accept it and, therefore, continue consuming mindlessly.
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    Sorry if someone else has already said this but I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread lol.

I think the acceptance we should be embracing is that people have different body types. We (women AND men) should not be taught from a young age that we need to look like the photoshopped images in magazines. However, this does not mean that it should be okay for anyone to weigh 500 pounds. But instead of focusing our energy on belittling these people, we should look at how our society has pushed obesity on us. No one chooses to be fat. Some people are just more susceptible to falling into the traps that are set for all of us. That is NOT okay.

If you haven't watched it, take a look at the Weight of the Nation mini-series (again, sorry if that's been covered). It gives a lot of insight.
  • rharper714
    Options
    I guess it depends on what your idea of the FAM is and everyone seems to have a different definition. To me it's simply accepting the fact that a) you're fat and b)it does not define you as a person. If you asked me to describe myself the word fat wouldn't even make the top 10. I'm hardly delusional, I'm well aware that I'm fat, but I'm also a good friend, a wonderful wife and mother, a great cook, I'm funny, I'm smart, I have a moderate amount of musical ability...the list goes on. The fact that I'm (currently) fat has no more to do with my personality than my blue eyes or my freckles.

For me it's about separating a physical issue from someone's worth as a human being. The fact that fat people were generalized as lazy overeaters a few times in this thread makes me sad. Sure some of them probably are but they're also smart and funny and wonderful parents and talented, creative people.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Sorry if someone else has already said this but I'm too lazy to read through the entire thread lol.

I think the acceptance we should be embracing is that people have different body types. We (women AND men) should not be taught from a young age that we need to look like the photoshopped images in magazines. However, this does not mean that it should be okay for anyone to weigh 500 pounds. But instead of focusing our energy on belittling these people, we should look at how our society has pushed obesity on us. No one chooses to be fat. Some people are just more susceptible to falling into the traps that are set for all of us. That is NOT okay.

If you haven't watched it, take a look at the Weight of the Nation mini-series (again, sorry if that's been covered). It gives a lot of insight.

It is not society's fault that someone is trying to eat themselves into an early grave. When does personal responsibility kick in??

I think the biggest problem is the EXCUSES and viewing fat people as VICTIMS. As long as you can blame everyone but yourself you can reason with yourself that it's someone else's responsibility to fix or that it's not fixable.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I think everyone, regardless of size, should be treated with dignity and respect (hopefully no one here disagrees with that anyway...). As for fat acceptance or fat pride or whatever, that I do not condone. I've been fat all my life. I've also been unhealthy. I don't want my fat to be accepted because it is killing me. I want to be thought of as an equal, fat or no fat, that is all.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I believe you should learn to love yourself no matter your size. But when you find that self love, you want to take care of your health and body. That doesn't mean struggling to be an unrealistic size or weight, but it does mean getting some exercise and eating healthy foods the majority of the time. When you do those things, you won't be obese. So... long story short, I believe in the "acceptance" movement...to accept yourself no matter what the circumstances; but I do not believe in the 'fat acceptance' movement specifically.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you're going to define the FA movement.

I refuse to dislike myself because I'm fat. Maybe it's just a survival mechanism because my body seems quite determined to stay fat, but I LOVE my fat self. I wish other people didn't feel so ****tily about themselves. You can change, you can want to be healthy, you can work out, eat better, do whatever you'd like.. but thinking that you're ugly or disgusting is sad to me. For me, fat acceptance is about loving the bejesus out of yourself. None of us are perfect, all of us are striving towards betterment and health (or.. most of us?) and all of us should love ourselves because we operate better when we do. Self hate spreads to all areas of life. :(

I also don't care much for the fat and unhealthy bias. I first got fat in senior year of HS when my coach asked me to go up 2 weight classes to 215. I gained a decent amount of muscle, but when you gain weight quickly for those purposes, a ton of it is fat. Did my health magically decline? Nah. I was still active and mightily athletic. I didn't become unhealthy and fat until I stopped being as active and took up smoking. I became healthy and athletic again when I took up dancing and dropped the bad habits.

My most unhealthy times have been at the same weights as my healthiest - just with bad foods and bad habits. There are plenty of studies on both sides of the fence as far as fat/unhealthy/healthy - but from my experience and my family's fat healthy experiences I feel that the two can exist quite well together. I don't think they should since you GAIN so much efficiency at lower weights and I value efficiency... but I do think they can.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about it....I'm mostly worried about childhood obesity. And for that I would put the blame on the parents. Your too lazy to cook your kid a decent dinner than at least don't take them to a fast food chain. I herd on the news that the children today will be the first generation to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents....it is so sad :(
  • Jamee_J
    Jamee_J Posts: 63
    Options
    I am a big woman. I am not happy with my size. My parents put me on my first diet when I was 9 years old. I have yo-yo'd for twenty years. During this time I have been active. I competed in Dance and gymnastics growing up, and all I ever wanted was to be skinny and pretty like the other girls my age. When you are overweight you have a lot of hate, disgust, and negativity thrown at you. Even in this thread you can feel it. I have always been kind, caring, energetic, pretty and fun. It took me until I was 27 to really love myself. And let me tell you, the extra weight I have on me does NOT define me. I will still be the same person when it is gone, and it will be. (There is no other choice) I have a healthy skinny husband and a healthy skinny five year old son, who I am doing everything in my power to not have him go down this path. NOBODY wants to be obese. But when you see that you have 100+ pounds to lose, cant't you see bow overwhelming it can be to some people? I don't think it's people being lazy, I think that people mainly feel hopeless. I think obesity is a problem of the country. It would be great if everyone who needed to would/could become healthier, but you cant make people change if they are not willing. Special accomedations should not be made, but a little humanity could go a long way.

Just remember that everyone regardless of what their circumstance is a fellow human being. Try not to judge. You never know
    what kind of battle someone else is facing. :ohwell:
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think it has it's good side and it's bad side.

I suppose it could lead to acceptance of an issue that shouldn't be accepted. People who are obese need to lose some weight to be healthy and have a longer life. Being molified by fat acceptance propiganda could lead one to accept unhealthy weight or even cause someone to strive to be overweight in order to fit into that group of people.

That being said, I think the fat acceptance movement is more helpful than harmful. A LOT of people are horribly cruel to people of size, cruelty and discrimination right up there along with discrimination that has happened in this country to minorities, the disabled, women and gays. People of size are mocked, denied good job opportunitys, sometimes are physically hurt and are often treated as unintelligent, bad people. Beyond just being healthy or not being healthy, weight is also wrapped up in this countries current definition of the norm of beauty. This same beauty standard in the country has also caused huge amounts of girls with eating disorders, unneeded cosmetic surgeries, and people who will go to an extreme to be unhealthily underweight... and I don't hear people asking do you think those underweight or surgically altered people are justified in having a support movement.

I think there has to be some sort of movement for fat acceptance up to a point. not to encourage people to be fat, but to encourage people who are not fat to stop treating fat people like second class citizens. just the way there needed to be media movements to encourage unenlightened people not to be cruel to gays, not to bully children, not to discriminate against minorities or the disable in the workplace or for education opportunites or just straight up to not be cruel and abusive to people who are not exactly like them selves. It's also important to teach people of size, especially young people of size, that they are not second class citizens, not less worthy of financial or educational opportunity and definitely not deserving of cruelty and abuse just because they are not fitting into the size of the social norm.

Fat seems to be one of the last socially acceptable discriminations/hates left in this country and I, as well as lots of other people I know have, had to experience that first hand. so I guess people saying that the fat acceptance thing will just 'encourage the fat to stay fat' don't really know what they are talking about. That is an ignorant/uneducated/unempatheic point of view. People of size shouldn't have to feel like they are crap just because they are not thin, they are still intelligent and lovely people, regardless.
  • Kimberz6
    Kimberz6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think that there shouldn't be a question that we accept people no matter their size, race, gender, sexual preference, marriage status, religious preference, and on and on. Whatever happened to there just being human acceptance? Why are we so hell bent on making ourselves different from others and then exploiting it? I was just raised in the concept that all people deserve respect until they do something heinous.

As far as the movement, I don't have a problem with it, but I will admit I don't understand people who want to be obese and choose to live their life that way and exploit themselves (specifically, I'm thinking of a Dr. Phil episode recently when a 500lb woman wanted to be the biggest person in the world). I think that calling unneccesary attention to yourself gives the impression of low-self-worth and desperation.

:drinker:
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options