Denied by insurance for gastric sleeve today :(

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Well, clearly you don't need surgery then.

You're 22 for christs sake. You can achieve anything you want if you put in the work. You don't need shortcuts like that. It's a good thing you were rejected in my opinion. You have the strength to do this without medical intervention.

This exactly. Those surgeries do not come without risk. Obviously you are strong enough to do what it takes to get the results you seek. Just work hard and in no time you'll be a happy, sexy, healthy you.

Absolutely! Look, you've come this far without the surgery, what ELSE can you achieve? Don't stop now, keep on going! People here at MFP will be there to help and motivate you. Don't give up!!
    You can do this!!! :)

EXACTLY! You've proven that you CAN do this! So, all that's left is to DO IT!.

Believe in yourself, and nothing else matters.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Well, clearly you don't need surgery then.

You're 22 for christs sake. You can achieve anything you want if you put in the work. You don't need shortcuts like that. It's a good thing you were rejected in my opinion. You have the strength to do this without medical intervention.

^ This

If I would have lost that much in just the few months prior to surgery, I would have elected myself to not have it. I actually had a consult a couple years ago (for the band) and decided it wasn't worth it and if I was willing to have SURGERY to lose weight, I was obviously serious enough about losing to be able to take charge on my own.

You've made amazing progress already. It's obvious you can do this and I'm sure you WILL. WE can be the extra weapon in your arsenal. Feel free to add me.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You are strong! This is affirmation that you CAN do this on your own. There are many people on this site who have lost well over 100lbs. Find them and get some success stories. Then go out be a success story for someone else! You have already accomplished so much
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    LOL

I lost 40 lbs pre surgery and was so excited. I did have the sleeve in March

My Dr. didn't submit all my weight changes to insurance tho..they kept it based on the weight I was for all the beginning appointments; I'm surprised your Dr. didn't.

I was required to do months of phone counseling with my insurance tho..in addition to the ton of other counseling/dietician/pysch/classes and physicals...they were super supportive.

You should be proud of what you've accomplished tho..keep it going :)
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    The gastric sleeve is just another tool that you proved you don't need. You've lost nearly 50 lbs on your own. Take this moment as not bittersweet but as a very proud moment. You did something that a lot of people don't do before facing weight loss surgery. Be strong and determined and you will reach your goal weight on your own...through a healthy diet and activity. You can do this! You just have to believe that you can. :)
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I think you have it in you to do it on your own and you will be better off because of this. It may take a bit longer but its healthier in the long run not to have the operation if you dont need it now. Losing weight isnt easy but having an operation alter your body isnt easy either and so many complications can result. My own Aunt died on the table in her early 20s having this surgery leaving my 1 yr old baby cousin behind, she too thought she was doing something that would better her life, it ended it. If youve come this far, keep going!!! You are worth it!!!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    This is a total blessing!!!! You are going to avoid MAJOR surgery that can be life-threatening and has life-long effects. Gastric surgery (I don't know much about gastric sleeve) is not a guarantee either. While you will lose massive weight quickly, you need to eat a crazy low calorie diet for the rest of your life in order to maintain it. I have a friend who had gastric bypass and lost a ton of weight and has gained back at least 50-100 lbs of it. You CAN do it without surgery! Why would you want surgery that you don't need?

You are awesome! 50 lbs weight loss is great!
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! Awsome! Be glad you won't be able to have that surgery! You've got a great start and it will be so much better for you in the long run to do it naturally! Diet and exercise is the big secret to weight loss.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You're too good for those quick fix solutions. You've proved you've got what it takes without needing surgery.
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I know it seems crappy that it worked out that way, but trust me - be glad. I work on the floor at the hospital where the bariatric patients come after surgery.
    In a lot of cases the surgery can be life saving. If you aren't so morbidley obese that it is the only option, you are much better off. The same patients come back over and over with complications from the surgeries-whether they had a sleeve, banding, roux-en-y, etc. Not to say that its a majority of surgeries that have problems, but it is enough I am glad I never had anything done when I was at my heaviest at 336 pounds.
    I hope the way things unfolded for you are a blessing in disguise and wish you luck in your efforts.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I got the call today. I was denied by my insurance company the coverage for the gastric sleeve. The reason? I've lost too much weight during the 3-moth process in which I had to attend a class once a month that educates you on the lifestyle change you will be embarking on. This was required by my insurance company in order to attain their coverage.

Despite being told by the doctor, nutritionist, and insurance lady that weight-loss BEFORE surgery is preferred and even some-what mandatory, in some cases. And, despite being reassured not once, but three times that it wasn't going to be possible to lose too much weight before surgery, I seemed to have achieved this task.

I did everything I was supposed to. I did what I was told and I started taking charge of my life. Now they're telling me I took too much charge and I no longer have the privilege of their services.

It's bitter-sweet. I mean, who can't be a little proud of losing nearly fifty pounds? At the same time though, I was REALLY looking forward to having another weapon in my arsenal for when my Will Power gun was running low.

I can't say I'm ready to just give up or anything pathetic like that. The thought of launching myself into a downward spiral seems rather annoying and self-mutilating.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can someone share their story with me? I still feel strong....almost like this is a sign I should be doing this on my own....or a sign that surgery might lead to something far worse.

I'm sorry honey :frown: I ended up paying out of pocket for my surgery 9 years ago (roux-en-y). While I don't regret the surgery (I started at 450#), I would have loved to do it on my own.

Look at how far you have come!! You are nearly a third of the way there without the surgery. You can do this...don't let it get you down, use it to fuel yourself! Prove to yourself that it can be done. Hugs!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Congrats on what I consider a super-awesome NSV!!!
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you got denied, I think you should be proud that you did exactly what was expected of you and you lost amazing pounds!!!!! It just stinks that you did what you were told and then they didnt approve your surgery. Please dont give up, you can do this!! MFP people totally ROCK, we are all here to lend you support.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Had you ever even really tried to lose weight on your own before? Cripes. I'm horrified that you were approved to begin with.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I honestly believe one day you will be glad this happened. Being strong enough to do this on your own is something you can obviously achieve, and know that one day when you weigh less, you won't be weighed back down by additional health problems caused by the surgery as so many people are. I have known people to get these surgeries, they are usually just used as crutches so they don't have to put in as much effort themselves. It usually backfires and they still manage to be obese and in terrible physical condition because they ended up relying on the surgery too much. I have never met a happy, physically well off person who has had surgery to try to fix their weight problems.

Congrats on the weight loss, and I can't wait to hear about your next big success! :D
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Just lose the weight on your own. You can do it!

I know someone that tried something like the gastric sleeve in spite of my efforts to talk her out of it and she was miserable and uncomfortable and had it removed. It's just not worth all of the risks.

Look how many people here lost lots of weight by exercising and eating right.

You can learn how to do it the right way too!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You're too good for those quick fix solutions. You've proved you've got what it takes without needing surgery.

Besides she did her own quick fix in 3 months without surgery!! With that kind of results and some determination that goal weight will be a reality.
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    Well, I understand why you would be confused and massively frustrated by your insurance company's decision. However, I have to echo what everyone else here is saying: you have proven that you can do this without the surgery. And that's something to feel really proud of. I'm wondering if you were thinking that it would be easier with the gastric sleeve? Nothing is ever easier with surgery. No matter how "routine" or "common" a surgery is supposed to be, the fact is that bodies don't like to be cut, mucked about with, and sutured together. Such a thing would change your lifestyle completely, and not necessarily in the "quick and easy weight loss" way that you might be imagining. I wish there was a magic fix for my weight loss goals, but I have learned that the only way is exactly what you have been doing. Exercise, count your calories, watch your diet, and LIVE. You don't need to hide behind a surgical procedure to achieve success. If it means enough to you, you'll keep going exactly as you have been. Feel proud of yourself--you avoided the need for surgery! Celebrate you!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Well obviously you can accomplish this process without it so I'm glad you were denied. No need for something so drastic if you can do it without it.
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Blessing in disguise! Do you really want to have your insides rearranged???? You can do this with hour own weapon arsenal! !!!