Denied by insurance for gastric sleeve today :(

Options

Replies

• jlreser
    jlreser Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you have the strength and discipline to lose 50 lbs in 3 months then you got the answer you really NEEDED, not wanted. You've already proven you can do it on your own, the hard way, not the easy way out so rejoice in that. In the end, you'll be GLAD you did it on your own without a quick fix!
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    Dude! You sound like you're already rocking it. Just keep it up :D
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Look at you! You don't need no stinkin' surgery! :D But, what is fantastic is that you believing that's what you wanted and using that as a goal to lose weight… YOU JUST PROVED TO YOURSELF THAT ALL YOU NEEDED TO LOSE WEIGHT WAS A GOOD REASON! Now that surgery is out, find yourself another just as important reason. I mean I can think of a number… your health, your family, your family-to-be-one-day, to go shopping for some rockin' clothes… whatever it is. Just put that new reason in your mind and, baby, you run for it!!

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    i find it strange because most people do lose weight before.. they probably have a buiild in plan to deny at first. but oh wow YOU have done an amazing job..

why don't you give yourself a year or two of doing what you are doing now with some changes and maybe joining a gym (if you haven't already) and see what your amazing self can accomplish again. YOU may want fast results but you have prooven to yourself that YOu can and will lose weight. i don't know people who do the surgery. but its prooven time and time again that this can be done without it. kudos to you who has started this journey.. wow in a year or two or even before that.. YOu are going to look super amazing and you will think back i did this without drastic surgery. use it as a stepping stone. you can do it.

ps ... its taken me since december to lose 13 lbs. You got a reason to do it.. that you actually cared about and you did 50 in less time then i did 13. you have the power. go YOU!!!!!!
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I got the call today. I was denied by my insurance company the coverage for the gastric sleeve. The reason? I've lost too much weight during the 3-moth process in which I had to attend a class once a month that educates you on the lifestyle change you will be embarking on. This was required by my insurance company in order to attain their coverage.

Despite being told by the doctor, nutritionist, and insurance lady that weight-loss BEFORE surgery is preferred and even some-what mandatory, in some cases. And, despite being reassured not once, but three times that it wasn't going to be possible to lose too much weight before surgery, I seemed to have achieved this task.

I did everything I was supposed to. I did what I was told and I started taking charge of my life. Now they're telling me I took too much charge and I no longer have the privilege of their services.

It's bitter-sweet. I mean, who can't be a little proud of losing nearly fifty pounds? At the same time though, I was REALLY looking forward to having another weapon in my arsenal for when my Will Power gun was running low.

I can't say I'm ready to just give up or anything pathetic like that. The thought of launching myself into a downward spiral seems rather annoying and self-mutilating.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can someone share their story with me? I still feel strong....almost like this is a sign I should be doing this on my own....or a sign that surgery might lead to something far worse.

This is only partly related, but might give you hope. My insurance (15 yrs ago) initially denied coverage for my breast reduction, though my doctors had said it was medically necessary. I appealed the decision and got it reversed. I had the surgery only 2-3 months after the initial denial. Good luck to you. :-)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out to some of the detracters that Bariatric Surgery is not the "easy way out". It requires LIFELONG dedication, determination, a strict eating plan, and lifelong supplementation. Many people lose weight only to regain it, but most people who lose weight with surgery keep it off if they follow the eating plan that is required.

That being said, the best way to lose weight is without surgery, but if you cannot because of multiple medical issues and severe obesity, it can be a way to get your life back. Yes, there are some that could have done it slower and without surgery, but really it is something that is available because of a need.

It is hurtful and discouraging for those of us who had bariatric surgery and were literally one foot in the grave to hear things like "the easy way out" and the like. It's not easy, it's hard work and the surgery only really is useful for weight loss for the first few years. After that, we lose weight just like everyone else with the unfortunate side effect of needing supplementation because of the malabsorbtion.

People do end up deathly ill after the surgery, but usually that is because of their own doing and poor behaviors. Those that supplement and eat right never have problems.

/endrant
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out to some of the detracters that Bariatric Surgery is not the "easy way out". It requires LIFELONG dedication, determination, a strict eating plan, and lifelong supplementation. Many people lose weight only to regain it, but most people who lose weight with surgery keep it off if they follow the eating plan that is required.

That being said, the best way to lose weight is without surgery, but if you cannot because of multiple medical issues and severe obesity, it can be a way to get your life back. Yes, there are some that could have done it slower and without surgery, but really it is something that is available because of a need.

It is hurtful and discouraging for those of us who had bariatric surgery and were literally one foot in the grave to hear things like "the easy way out" and the like. It's not easy, it's hard work and the surgery only really is useful for weight loss for the first few years. After that, we lose weight just like everyone else with the unfortunate side effect of needing supplementation because of the malabsorbtion.

People do end up deathly ill after the surgery, but usually that is because of their own doing and poor behaviors. Those that supplement and eat right never have problems.

/endrant

Agree. After watching a few episode of My 600 lb life" I realized how hard it must be both physically and emotionally and I only have admiration for those who have the surgery and are able to make the necessary changes in their life to keep healthy.
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You are a beautiful young lady, and I hope as you continue to have success the HEALTHY, NATURAL way, you continue to share your story, and turn it into a charge AGAINST bariatric surgery. I know quite a few people who have had this surgery. One passed away at a young age, leaving 3 young children. One had 5 followup surgeries before they discovered they lacerated her liver. One got so thin she ALMOST died (and yet is letting her daughter have it), one gained back the weight because she continues to eat crap-- and it makes her sick besides. The only one I know that DIDN:T have a bad experience is such a total **tch, that it makes you not want to be like her.... .you are too good for all that. You feel strong now -- wait until you hit your goal , and in the meantime have made your health your way of life! Keep inspiring!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Surgery is not the cure all, if you don't learn to live a healthier life you would most likely just end up gaining the weight back anyway . You CAN lose weight , nothing is stopping you and you've proved that by the weight you've already lost. Keep going , we are all here for you!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Great job losing 50 lbs! Just think how amazing you will feel when you lose the rest on your own!! That is true power!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    CONGRATs on your weight loss so far. I know you are dissappointed, but you have done amazing so far. I love your attitude. I have no doubt you can do this. Keep up the good work
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can do this, you are doing this!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Honey, if you lost that much on your own why would you want to put yourself through any kind of surgery?!?
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    When I went in to see a doctor for gastric bypass he emphasized two things:

1. Any bypass surgery can be cheated.

2. Gastric bypass must be a method of last resort.

I'm not familiar with your personal situation, but I hope you can appreciate that you're not at that stage. You are far from your last resort =)

And BTW, I decided not to get the surgery.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You lost 50 lbs!!!!! Clearly you can do this au naturale! Keep doing what you are doing :)
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Keep on doin whatchya doin! And be proud :)
  • wish3s
    wish3s Posts: 14
    Options
    I understand you wanted this surgery as a tool to assist with keeping you from regain. I am so sorry you were denied, but regain is real no matter if you have the surgery or not. It is about changing your mindset. I know not everyone will agree with me, but seeing a therapist might help you deal with your issues with food. Therapy can go along way with helping you deal with the mind aspects of food addiction. Just because they operate on your stomach doesn't mean they also operate on your brain.
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who fought for 3 years or more to have the surgery done. She was denied and denied and every turn. FINALLY she got the surgery one Christmas eve... it's now 3 years later and she has had her entire stomach removed because of it. I'm not saying it was the doctors and I'm not saying it was her, but both are to blame. She used the surgery as a quick fix. She had a hard time doing the work because she was in a horrible car accident that took over a year to recover from, but she could do some workouts. She could have found a pool to make it lower impact, she could have hired a trainer, she could have done a ton of stuff... I say all this to say that sometimes, God, the universe, fate... whatever you want to call it- tells us "this isn't for you" and sometimes we are so into what WE want that we don't look at the warning signs. If you have lost 50lbs, you have done incredibly well, and it would be my opinion that you are just looking for a quick fix. Your stomach obviously isn't the problem, so why are you trying to make it one?
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Be proud of what you have done.
    I personally would rather be able to say that I DID THIS! 100% ME!
    I refuse any sort of supliment or weight loss aid for that reason. It might seem a billion times harder - but its WAY more worth it.
    Doing this on your own - you know what the effort is to get to your goal - and you are less likely to put the weight back on.

So many people have procedures done as a stepping stone - or for some as an easy way out - and they end up piling the weight back on.

You are young - be proud that you are beating the odds of "never being able to lose weight on your own" and push forward!!!

You have come so far - so keep running!! Never look back!
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I still feel strong....almost like this is a sign I should be doing this on my own....

This is the only voice you need to listen to. Say it. Loud.

^^^ This!!! I hope you are walking around with your head held high because you have already accomplished something AMAZING! The best part - There is more amazing ahead of you still : ) Go Rock It!!!