What was your "Gotta Change my Life "moment ?

Options

Replies

• Drendren
    Drendren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My moment was getting close to hitting the 300 mark on the scale.. I started this journey at 292.. Well went to the doc & found out I actually had hit 299.. I started thinking it might have been higher when I was not at the docs.. That 300 number scared the hell out of me.. So I found MFP by accident by searching weightloss on the net.. I was tired of being short winded & feeling basically like a lump... My new life started on January 9th, 2012 & I am now happy to report 33 pounds down & 34.5 inches off.. I started out just doing a 20 minute workout & now am up to as much as 2-3 hours on a good day.. I help my husband with the yard work & do Leslie Sansone workouts or my Wii or Tae Bo.. Whatever gets my moving & sweating.. I have had some bad days & down moments, but my friends here have helped keep me on track... I am in this for the long term.. I want to lose 100 plus... If it takes me a year or more then thats fine.. I have changed the way I eat & my whole outlook on life is more positive.. MFP really saved & changed my life for the better.. I am forever grateful.. Thanks for sharing your story & good luck...
    [/quote
    No matter how long it takes, you're on the right track. You've got this - you will get there!!
  • aimee_md
    aimee_md Posts: 44
    Options
    Looking at my debs(prom) photos and thinking how the f**k did I let mself get this big? This is when I realised I needed to change my diet and lifestyle.
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Ive had about 500 of those moments.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    When I had strangers started being rude to me in public. People def treat heavier people different.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    when i was 340 i didnt feel like i was that big but when i got on a plane i had to get a seat belt exter. started eating salads and went to the gym the next day. few months later after hard work i was down to 300 and kept at it ... now i am downto 240 and on my way to my goals
  • slpknt84
    slpknt84 Posts: 14
    Options
    I bought a pretty maxi dress and when I got it home and tried it on for my bf, he frown and i looked in the mirror and it looked like I was wearing a tablecloth.
  • BexleyGirl
    BexleyGirl Posts: 102
    Options
    I looked at myself putting on my make-up and my face looked like a pumpkin.
  • SandraD89
    SandraD89 Posts: 809
    Options
    Mine was when i was told i had hypoglycemia. I now 8 months later no longer struggle to control it and i am 13lbs away from being at my pre pregnancy weight. My daughter is 3 now so it's been 4 years since i have seen that number.
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Mine came from knowing that I had to get healthy for my kids. Sadly their father isn't much of one and I knew that he would never be able to raise them if anything happened to me. I had high blood pressure that even with meds was hard to control. After reaching 396 lbs and trying everything to loose weight, I made the decision to have gastric bypass. It literally saved my life. After the surgery the Dr. told me that i had early signs of cirrhosis of the liver because it was so compacted with fat. With the surgery I lost almost 160 lbs but because I didn't make the lifestyle change I needed to, I ended up gaining back 60 of it. When I hit 300 lbs I decided that I needed to turn my life around. I have since lost those 60 lbs plus a few more. I had gall bladder surgery last summer and I had the Dr. look at my liver while he was in there. It has reversed and I now have a healthy liver. I also have my 25 year high school reunion this summer. I weigh less now than I did in high school. I'm actually really excited to go.
  • Jessyka4
    Jessyka4 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My "gotta change my life" moment was last summer; I'd never known my biological father or his side of the family and my boss at a new job i had at the time in loss prevention was a private investigator. He found my father for free only for me to find out he had passed away in Jan of 2010. I found the rest of his family and when we got together they informed me he had died from complications with type 2 diabetes....at 41 years old. It was a real slap in the face. When I looked at his records i saw that he and I are the same height (5'4) and weight (i was 252). If that isn't a kick in the butt I dont know what is.
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My father passed away three years ago this past Thursday and at that point I moved 800+ miles "back home" to live with my mom. I know I suffer from depression and the traumatic circumstances of losing my father and my husband being completely unsupportive and refusing to move, meaning then that we were separating, just totally got me down. I thought I was eating okay but I noticed I was pulling back out some of my bigger clothes and come winter my coats were not fitting the same as they had the winter before.

My nephew played t-ball in the summer and he loved that I would chase him around but I was finding I couldn't keep up with him as well and I really wanted to chase him.

My mom was told April of 2011 that she NEEDED to have bypass heart surgery for two blocked arteries (one was 100% the other was 50%) and I started to realize that my health and weight could set me toward the same track if I wasn't careful.

Then, last year in May or June my sis-in-law (nephew's mom) sent me an invite to join her here on MFP. I himmed and hauled about it and finally "joined" but didn't really do much with it. I have an annual convention that takes place in July and then in August I accompany my mom to PA to visit her family. I was just starting to get good at tracking my food and really seeing what I was eating when I ended up places where there was no Internet or trying to track on my phone was too hard. I was careful about my choices for the two weeks I was gone and when I came home I realized that I had actually lost weight.

For me, THAT was my "AHA" moment. I KNEW this could work. I know I'll never get back to my pre-marriage weight of 110 lbs but that is okay. I will be happy if I can get back down to a healthy 130 and look and feel great. The scale itself hasn't moved since I lost the initial 26 lbs and I have another 24 to get to where I want to be, but since adding the 30 Day Shred I have managed to lose a LOT in the way of inches. I'm only 1/2 way through the program so I'm waiting to take my "after" measurements, but I have realized that I don't want to be as big as I was ever again.

I realize that I've never hit over 180 lbs, but for being 5'5" that is big. I can see it in various pictures taken throughout the years since I got married and I never want to be there again. My husband was 350 the day we married (17 years ago) and 640 the day of his gastric bypass surgery (Nov 2004).

I've been working hard to make the healthy changes in lifestyle and eating and never feel like I'm missing out on anything if I keep it all in moderation. Now to help my mom get off that extra weight and slim down a bit ... she is seeing the need especially since I have lost over 25 lbs and lots of inches. (Doesn't help she is twice my age and not nearly as active, but she is walking during the times she watches TV...and not just the commercials, either ... and we walk two miles together twice a week.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Bumping to do later:bigsmile:
  • joconnor09
    joconnor09 Posts: 124
    Options
    I had a number of moments that really should've been my a-ha moment and weren't, though now i really wish they had been. when i hit 200 lbs after months of telling myself i would never ever ever get that big. when i bought size 16 jeans after i told myself i'd never ever ever do that. when i was eating fast food almost every single day. when i realized, after being a competitive swimmer for 11 years, that i hadn't gotten in the water in a year. there was moment after moment and nothing clicked for me. it wasn't until i started getting really thirsty all the time, to the point where i felt like i couldn't stop drinking water, that i really got scared. i was worried that i was developing diabetes, so i went to my doctor. luckily the tests were negative, and i'm not even pre-diabetic. but i knew then that i never wanted that kind of scare ever again. i was so mad at myself for letting myself get to the point of a serious health scare before making a change. i wasn't even looking for MFP when i found it. it just showed up in an email one day, so i checked it out and signed up. it has turned out to be the best thing that could've happened to me. i've been put on diets my whole life, even as a child and nothing ever lasted or really worked. this works for me. i've lost almost 20 lbs, and while it's been slow going, i know that it's making a real difference. i check in every day, logging my food. i'm still working on forming an exercise habit, but for right now i'm always so proud to log any exercise i do. i almost feel like i didn't really have an a-ha moment the way people talk about. i just sort of started doing it, without truly thinking about the life change i was making. i think that's why it has worked. i don't feel like i've dramatically changed my life. i feel like i've made some small changes, and i'm continuing to make small changes that will eventually add up to some major changes. this didn't happen overnight, and i don't expect to change my life overnight.
  • kalkat
    kalkat Posts: 48
    Options
    My "Aha" moment came about a month ago in a crowded elevator at work.

I had lost a bunch of weight last year and have steadily gained it back. I hadn't realized how much I gained back until the nice old lady in the elevator asked me when my baby is due.

I was in shock and I sputtered. I was horrified.

That moment motivates me daily.
  • marylynn85
    marylynn85 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    When it started getting warm and I tried to put on my favorite skirt and it didnt fit. I had gained 35 pounds since last summer. I had been eating out too much, drinking too much soda and just eating crap food. Cleaned up my eating a lot and have started exercising everyday. I hope to have most of it gone by August.
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Alot of reasons as has been posted but the one that has hurt the most was when I was asked if I was pregnant when I married husband... The inference being that it must have been something drastic for him to marry me. I'd love to c that woman now. The best thing tho is that I am doing it for myself now, not hubby (who is supportive) and not people like her and there has been a few. Now they c me and they shocked n I make it clear I don't hav time for them n don't care for their compliments either. I know who my true friends are...they were there b4 this journey and still are cheering me on.

I just wanted to say: Good for you! When I made up my mind to lose weight I had not only my mom but even my best friend ask my why. (Husband and I are split up and have had thoughts of asking him if he would like to give it another try since the divorce he claimed he was going to file two years ago has not materialized into anything....) I didn't really say anything to mom my until just the other day about it, but told my best friend that it was ALL about ME. I'm not doing this for my mom, for my sister, for my brother, for my husband, or to make anyone jealous or envious. I am doing it for ME because it is what *I* need to do for my emotional and physical health.

So you keep on doing what you are doing and let those you didn't have time for you before get caught behind in your cloud of dust. Keep up the good work!!:bigsmile:
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Flying Southest and buying 2 seats. I had heard about the Kevin Smith incident (please google his name + Southwest) and thought "what if that happened to me". I could fit inside the seat but I was sooo scared I was too big at this weight, I just flipped out and bought 2 seats, as I really need to see my ailing father. I was able to refund the second one due to the plane not being full up both to and fro however it was an emotional experience. people were quizzing me, being called to the front to pre-board...the person next to me picking up the reserve paper and asking me "What's this for?" I swore right then, I will lose this weight.

I am on two high blood medications right now and I really want to go off them too. :wink: Only 4 days on MFP.
  • missattitude57
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with PCOS and my doctor said losing weight might help alleviate the symptoms. There is no way I'm going to let my weight get in the way of my future family.
  • jazzylopez
    jazzylopez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My was, when I found out that I had hypothyroidism. I'm 5 feet tall & weighed 166lbs :noway:
    But, what really did it for me was when my doctor said "most people with your condition will find it extreamly
    hard to lose weight"
  • Jett8888
    Jett8888 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst knee pain of my life. Turns out I have gout brought on by years of terrible eating. I did a lot of research on gout friendly foods and decided to try it. Lost the first 12lbs just from that. I just hit 40lbs lost since February. And my body feels better than ever. Still have a lot to lose but I can do this.