How did you get proposed to?

Options

Replies

• JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My husband proposed on Christmas Eve 2009. We went to Church and he downed a few beers beforehand which I thought was strange but a proposal was the last thing from my mind so I didn't really think much of it. After church the whole family was over and the tradition is everyone gets to open one gift.

He had fooled me into thinking he had gotten us tickets for a vacation somewhere so that's 100% what I was suspecting. I was last to open my gift and I opened a gift bag in front of my entire family and inside was a medium sized decorated box that said "The very best vacation" inside that was a smaller box that said "I could ever take" and inside that was an envelope that said "would be with you" and then inside the envelope (I'm still thinking they were tickets) was a piece of paper that said "forever" and the ring was taped to it. CUE INSTANT WATERWORKS!!!

This made me cry!! :sad: :sad: So sweet.
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was in a long distance relationship with a guy for 2 years and it happened like this.
    tumblr_m04r9t7TTX1r1l1uwo1_500.jpg
    We didn't end up getting married though, things didn't work out the way we wanted them to.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    When the test came back positive, my fabulous hubby said "It's time now, baby!" I said "Hell ya." Best decision ever. 14 years ago.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My husband just kind of mention that we were going to get married and live together sometime within the first 9 months of dating. I never questioned it. So, no real proposal. :(

I think he is planning on redoing that whole thing though. His friend said something weird to me about a ring the other day and it didn't make sense to me then he wouldn't give me any other information... Who knows...
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My husband proposed on Christmas Eve 2009. We went to Church and he downed a few beers beforehand which I thought was strange but a proposal was the last thing from my mind so I didn't really think much of it. After church the whole family was over and the tradition is everyone gets to open one gift.

He had fooled me into thinking he had gotten us tickets for a vacation somewhere so that's 100% what I was suspecting. I was last to open my gift and I opened a gift bag in front of my entire family and inside was a medium sized decorated box that said "The very best vacation" inside that was a smaller box that said "I could ever take" and inside that was an envelope that said "would be with you" and then inside the envelope (I'm still thinking they were tickets) was a piece of paper that said "forever" and the ring was taped to it. CUE INSTANT WATERWORKS!!!

Awww!!! That is awesome!
  • stacyfoo
    stacyfoo Posts: 47
    Options
    i got proposed to at the zoo.. in front of a gorilla that was peeing down a concrete wall. not the most romantic in the world. LOL!
  • Starklover
    Starklover Posts: 57
    Options
    My soon to be hubby proposed to me on Halloween night... Halloween is my favoite time of year!! I hadjust got done working a 12 hour shift at the hospital, had eaten, and was almost asleep when he came in and laid don with me. He told me how much he loved me and that I was the only person for him, and asked me if I would give him the honor of putting a ring on my finger! I was almost asleep and so I had to have him repeat himself, I was sure I was hearing things!! And now our October wedding is all Halloween themed, and coming up soon!!
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    my now ex-husband put a lot of thought into the ring and proposal.

We had spoken about marriage before etc and i had drawn a few designs for my ring... they had disappeared, i didn't know where they had gone lol but i later found out he had be sending them to my uncle back in NZ who is a jeweller.

He was also bringing up the fact that my uncle (the jeweller) and aunty were coming over in a few months and seemed excited about it, which is weird because he doesn't like people.
    Anyway the day my uncle and aunty arrived mum invited us for dinner and i refused and said nah it's friday and i will be racing home from work and we will be seeing them at the family BBQ the next day so it wont matter... mum insisted i ask my partner lol so confused i asked him and weirdly enough he was YES YES LETS GO TO YOUR MUMS FOR DINNER o_O normally he would jump at the chance NOT to go LOL.... anyway so that was when my uncle gave him the ring that night.

the morning before the Family BBQ i needed to go to the shops to get things to make the salad that i was bringing.... he told me he needed to go to some shop at the waterfront to get something and could we stop there before hand.
    we did... and i was heading towards this place he had told me that he wanted to go... and he said "oh wow it looks so nice out on the Jetty, lets go for a walk out there"
    The Jetty was where we first met and sat for 5hours and just talked..... :heart:

so we walked out there and i was distracted by everything that was out there and thinking and looking back i'm sure he would have been thinking "JUST STAND STILL FOR ONE SECOND WOMAN"
    He said "remember when we first came here.... thats when i feel inlove with you and i love you even more today"
    LOL me replied with "awwww!!! I LOVE YOU TOO BABE.... oh look at the boat over there" hahahaha yeah i wasn't clicking on at all!!
    then after about 10mins of being out there i was like "ok it's cold and windy lets go back" and started to walk away and realised he wasn't following.... turned around and he was on one knee... he said "Juliette... I love you with all my heart and soul and i want to be with you forever, will you marry me?" I just burst into tears... Jumped into his arms and hugged and kissed for what seemed like for forever. the ring was exactly like my drawings and thats when i realised where my drawings had been going!

as much as it was an amazing proposal, we are sadly not together anymore, we were engaged for 2years and married for 1 year and together for a total of 7years.
    I would not change anything (expect being able to make it work of course) because it has made me the strong person i am today.
  • megganjana
    megganjana Posts: 61 Member
    Options

That makes two of us! :)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I didn't..thanks for the reminder :grumble:
  • skusky01
    skusky01 Posts: 16
    Options
    "He purposed and she said yes! Or was it the other way around? However it happened..." That's how my wedding invitations started and it was so true. Neither of us really purposed, we were four months pregnant and madly in love so we just mutually decided we should do it. I waddled down the isle two months later!
  • mkrainville7409
    mkrainville7409 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My husband was funny... I knew he was going to purpose to me. About a week before the event. He was holding my hand and asked me my ring size.. specifically on my left hand. And I was playing along and I told him.

2-3 days before christmas and we were at his parents house and we were leaving and He put me in the car and said .. I will be right back .. for got something inside. He was gone about 15 mins. I was getting frustrated So I went up to the door and opened the door ... he had a piece of paper and was showing his family something.. and put it back in his pocket and said lets go.. im ready. HIs grandmother's face gave it away. She was crying... he rushed me to the car and I asked "whats wrong with Grammy" he said "oh nothing, she just got to laughing so hard she was crying" (not true)

the next day we packed our car to visit my family. He packed it with large heavy gifts... (these were decoy gifts by the way) and said we can not leave yet because I am waiting on a very important package to arrive. So I was getting a little anxious because I HATE getting stuck in traffic. The package got delayed and wouldnt be arriving until the day after christmas. You could see that he was very frustrated. We left for my parents. While I was helping my mom make christmas dinner. He asked if She and my dad would come and chat with him in the other room. He was asking for permission... which I eventually figured out. My mom gave it away later .. every time she looked at me she would smile and I know my mom like the back of my own hand. I knew somthing was up.

Christmas morning comes and he didnt give me my presents yet and he mentioned that we would open presents later. After all of that was over with we left and went back towards home... where we had to wait for the gift to arrive. It was in a medium sized inconspicous box. and he packed it into the car.

He said OK lets go - he took me out to stay at the VA Beach Convention Center - we had one a two nights stay. And once we got there he gave me all the gifts. I opened 3 texts books that were my own... I looked at him and said "are you kidding.. these are mine" and he said "I know.. just decoy presents" I looked at him and smiled he then pulled out the tiny little ring box and asked me... I looked at him and smiled and said "Of Course" He was really hoping to ask me on Christmas morning... but didnt have the chance. However... it was still very romantic :)
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    He took me to a restaurant in NYC called Jezebel's to celebrate my 25th Birthday . We enjoyed our meal: &.just before dessert was.served he asked.me to marry him. We were seated right in the middle of the restaurant so all.the other patrons saw the proposal. I , I hated the public display because I was.so.quiet & shy back then. I hated.drawing attention to.myself. My husband was.the complete opposite of me. We balance.each other.so.well. 19.yrs.&.going strong.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    my now-husband, then-boyfriend and i went to the mall because he wanted to try to get me a certain style of bracelet he'd been talking about getting for me. i forget how he arranged this, but he got me to stop tagging along with him and start looking around at other stores by myself. so i did, and a little bit later, we met up in the food court, and he told me, with apparent sadness, that he couldn't find that particular type of bracelet.
    so we went home, and continued to have our usual sort of evening; dinner, tv, etc.
    later on, i was laying in bed, just hanging out, and he comes up and lays down on the bed next to me and drops a little box onto the bed next to me. it was too small to be a bracelet, and i knew instantly that it was a ring. the first thing i said was "*kitten* YEAH!" (classy, right?), then i opened the box.
    it was a silver ring with stars and moons around it, and part of the ring spins around (if that makes any sense) -- not a traditional engagement ring by any means, but very "me".

turns out, he wasn't really looking for a bracelet for me. the whole point of going to the mall was to get me the ring, and the bracelet stuff was just a red herring to throw me off -- he's really good at that kind of stuff, he is the master of planning surprises!

we were engaged for almost 5 years before we got married, and we've been married since may 16, 2010 :)
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

That makes two of us! :)

ARGH now i'm tearing up!!
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I had two children from a previous marriage and my boyfriend and I (Husband now) were watching them at the city water fountain. They were playing and having a good old time and it was beautiful out. Out of the blue he turned to me and asked me if I would marry him. He had the ring at home because he wasn't planning to do it at that moment, but that was okay with me. :)
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hubs and I are both photographers. He is very old school - film etc. and I like digital. We originally met on www.deviantart.com , a website for art networking. Anyways we had looked at rings so he knew what I liked... and I knew a proposal was coming, I just had no idea how or when and he definitely caught me off guard. We took a trip with his dad and sister and brother to visit his grandmother in Vermont. After having breakfast with everyone on Saturday morning he suggested we take a hike up a trail he used to go up when he was a kid and take some photos because there's a gorgeous view. I was like sure! We got to the top and took a few photos... and he said "take one with my camera" I was like "no, it's film and I'm going to screw it up and the photo will be sucky" he was like "just try it!!" Sooo I did. and it didn't work. so he said "maybe the film isn't lodged correctly, open the back" and I was so contrary, I was like but then it will ruin any photos that are in there!" but he convinced me it was ok to open. so I did... and I pulled out the film and I was like there's WRITING on this. *duh* so he asked "what does it say?!"

[img]https://fbcdn_sphotos_e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/41274_10150262080650125_4344543_n.jpg[/img]

and then he got down on one knee. and I said yes. :) It's been a year and I haven't regretted it for a minute.
  • kbogart1996
    kbogart1996 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    :love: We were taking a shower together and he asked me. When I said yes he put the ring on. :laugh:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Mine was nothing fancy, he didn't have a ring even when he popped the question. It was at a New Years Eve party, his cousin was throwing, back in 2003/2004. It was the countdown and everyone headed outside to watch the neighborhood fireworks. Before we got outside he stopped me and kissed me, passionately. Then whispered in my ear, "Will you be my wife?", after I said yes, he told me he doesn't have a ring yet, but asked me to wear my birthstone ring, he bought me for high school graduation, on my ring finger, temporarily. Then we joined the rest the party outside. It was about a month later he was able to afford my ring :)
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options
    I was like 6 months preggers i think and had just gotten off work at a grocery store and i was exhausted he wasnt home but called and asked me to go into the bedroom and find his favorite lounge pants and not to come out until i did. I was cursing his name the ENTIRE time you knw the "im 6 months pregnant with HIS baby and I just worked 9+ hours on my feet the entire time and NOW he has the nerve to make me..." yea i wasnt happy so much so i didnt hear him walk in. I never did find em but he called me into the living/dining room and he had 3 roses (1 for every yr we'd been together), a box of expensive chocolates and the ring box was open with a heart shaped diamond as the engagement ring and the card in the roses said "Will you marry me?" It was so him i got all teary eyed, told him no then gave him a hug and a kiss after he put the ring on my very swollen finger lol That was Dec 2007 and we were married April 18, 2009 ^_^