Euro 2012 - Anyone else watching the tournament?

Options
HellsKells
HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
I've been looking forward to this since the end of the Premier League season! How exciting has this first match been so far? I can honestly say I didn't expect much from Poland or Greece to start with, but it's been a pleasant surprise.

Looking forward to the Czech Republic v Russia match later today as well.

Any predictions for who will take the tournament this year?

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Hubs is watching it, he's been talking about it alllll week! LOL I'm not very interested myself though!
    No idea who will win it though :)
  • Mctree20
    Mctree20 Posts: 137
    Options
    I thought Greece would be all over Poland. Poland playing a great game!

England will win Euro ;)
  • HellsKells
    Options
    England always believes they will win the Euro...even when they're not in the tournament :wink:

I would agree that Poland are playing really well. That save by Tyton was really unexpected.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I will watch Italia game Sunday.....and will follow their games and keep track of who is in and who is out, but likely will not watch any other teams actually games....
  • Mctree20
    Options
    Yeah we're an optimistic bunch lol.

The France match will should give a clue for our chances.
  • HellsKells
    Options
    Nothing wrong with being optimistic! :smile:

That should actually be a really good match. Both teams are in form. Looking forward to that one myself.
  • HellsKells
    Options
    I will watch Italia game Sunday.....and will follow their games and keep track of who is in and who is out, but likely will not watch any other teams actually games....

They replay all the best stuff on highlight shows, but I know last Euro tournament, I nearly deleted the Turkey v Czech Republic match from my DVR without watching it and I would have been so disappointed if I hadn't watched that one. Probably the most exciting 15 minutes of play I've ever seen at the end of that one.
  • Mctree20
    Options
    Russia are looking good!
  • HellsKells
    Options
    Yeah, pretty impressive so far. If they could keep more of their shots on target, they'd be deadly.
  • Mctree20
    Options
    Having said that, the Czech Republic are not looking good at all. You're right, if Russia were on target a bit more, this would be over.
  • HellsKells
    Options
    Yeah, the Czechs really need to sort out their back line. Too much open space. They need to close rank if they want to progress in the tournament. (although they did just score, so there's some hope for them now :smile:)
  • HellsKells
    Options
    I keep laughing at the ESPN commentators as well, because they keep pronouncing Shirkov's name as "Jerkoff". I mean, maybe that's how it is pronounced, but it's still funny. :laugh:
  • Mctree20
    Options
    I can't see the Czechs going through now. Poland and Greece are way to good.

Haha, poor Shirkov!!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I always cheer for Portugal, my best friend is portuguese, it's huge in her family.
  • HellsKells
    Options
    I can't see the Czechs going through now. Poland and Greece are way to good.

Haha, poor Shirkov!!

Yeah, I think you're right. They definitely both played better than the Czechs today and with that goal difference....if they do go through, they've got a mountain to climb.

Janet, Portugal are a really good team to cheer on! They've got one of the world's best players (Ronaldo) and several other really good players in their squad as well....Nani, Pepe, Alves, Meireles....they all play for top teams in Europe. They stand a really good chance of making it pretty far in the competition. Good choice! :smile:
  • johnsummerton
    johnsummerton Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I will be surprised if we (england) get out of the group stage Russia look à good outside bet
  • deaddivya
    deaddivya Posts: 102
    Options
    Since my country (Switzerland) didn't qualify for it, I'm not watching.
  • kiwilass
    kiwilass Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yep we are watching it in the small hours of the day in New Zealand
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Watched the last 30 mins of the Poland v Greece match without sound whilst on the cross trainer at my gym. That match had everything and was not what I would expect from a tournement opening match. Hoping it sets the theme for the tournement.

Not expecting much from England as the squad looks a bit weak.
  • HellsKells
    Options
    Is it just me, or does Arjen Robben look about 50 years old? I mean, he plays very well, but he looks aged beyond his years.

Pretty surprised that Denmark is ahead at the half. Didn't expect that at all. Hopefully we're in for another exciting day! :smile: