I find this inconsiderate

Options
OK, here's something that bothers me.
These message boards are meant to be helpful to people on a journey to fitness. I have seen this happen countless times on here (and other weight loss boards, ie. weight watchers, ect.) Somebody will post a question that has been answered in the past. Some will answer it. But others will become annoyed or snarky - stating with great exasperation how this has been answered before, and "here we go AGAIN."
Why must people do this? Not everybody started their journeys at the same time as said person. People who say that should perhaps move on to myfitnesspal for the over-evolved ego. (MFP-OEE.)
Just my pet peeve for the day.
Sorry if this has been posted before.

Replies

• bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, it's rude and obnoxious.
  • Lilip0p
    Lilip0p Posts: 36
    Options
    Agree for sure. I think it scares new people away, makes the whole place look cliche.

Unless you have thick skin. I personally couldn't care less if someone is snarky towards me, but I could easily see how it could knock someone's confidence when they are looking for support.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't say it (and I'm not on the forum enough to see repeated threads keep coming up anyway), but I do sort of understand the frustration of people that post on here a lot and see the same questions over and over again. Although, I've never used the search function on this board, so if it's *kitten*, then I can't really blame the question posters at all.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    I personally wouldn't say it (and I'm not on the forum enough to see repeated threads keep coming up anyway), but I do sort of understand the frustration of people that post on here a lot and see the same questions over and over again. Although, I've never used the search function on this board, so if it's *kitten*, then I can't really blame the question posters at all.

Here's my argument for this, because I hear this a lot.
    We should not be expected to use the search option. The people who originally posted the questions got the benefit of a conversation - direct answers to their questions by real people. The new people could certainly look up those old questions, but then it would be answers to someone else's question, in effect making this a database instead of a community. New people should get the same joy of putting out a question and seeing responses by people that care.
    Old people should realize that the new people want that same experience and not expect them to just look up their old history.
  • exdisneychick
    Options
    I agree. Yes, some of the questions have been asked before. But since we all have different experiences, a different point of view could be brought up. I think if you dont like the question because it has been asked before, click to something else... Simple solution!!!
  • Ketomaniac9
    Ketomaniac9 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yep that's what the ignore user is for haha
  • kittyfrost
    kittyfrost Posts: 54
    Options
    Those kind of comments are more annoying than the actual thread most of the time...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Here's my argument for this, because I hear this a lot.
    We should not be expected to use the search option. The people who originally posted the questions got the benefit of a conversation - direct answers to their questions by real people. The new people could certainly look up those old questions, but then it would be answers to someone else's question, in effect making this a database instead of a community. New people should get the same joy of putting out a question and seeing responses by people that care.
    Old people should realize that the new people want that same experience and not expect them to just look up their old history.
    It generally only happens when the question has been asked 10 times in the space of an hour.
  • stebben
    stebben Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree, so disrespectful.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    That is what the search function is for =\
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I will point out that proper etiquette of any message board I have belonged to is to attempt to use search and check at least the first 2 pages before you post a new thread. This way, you are not repeating something that was just recently discussed or asked. It reduces the amount of redundancy and keeps the first page from having the same question on it multiple times.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    The internet is a handy place for people to be (anonymously) judge-y and mouthy. And hungry people can be bears. ; )
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!! Its very inconsiderate and rude. I can see where the annoyed ones are coming from but they need to look at it from the person whos asking the questions point of view also. If it annoys you that much then just move on and dont say anything!! Let the ones who understand and have a heart answer those. I for one have been new to a board and before I ask a question I usually do my best to go through at least the first 2 or 3 pages but if I dont see it then I ask! You cannot expect a new person on a board to go through every single post on ALL the pages to try and see if MAYBE their question is on there. I have been chewed out on other boards for this very thing and it hurts! Def something that could drive someone who truly does want help to leave and not come back:(
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I agree It does not bother me to answer the same question a hundred times if it helps one person then its worth it to me
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Agreed folks in general I find whether traffic in line at store or here IMPATIENT!
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is rude and instead of leaving comments people can just disregard the post. But I have to admit it gets a little old seeing the same questions asked over and over. I know they can be different for different people's situations but things like "can I count diet soda/coffee/tea as water?," "Do I have to eat back my excercise calories," and "what if I go over on my protein," are pretty general and someone could easily find answers with a simple search. It would be a nice feature if before someone posted a new topic the boards could suggest other threds with similar topic names.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    The forum guidelines actually encourage repeat questions.
    We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once.
  • rebrcca3434
    Options
    You know I Love this whole site and the community but it was sort of hard to figure out how to use the program initially. I mean you go to the home page and there is no explanation about exercise cals ect. There are some sticky threads that I finally found that have been useful but didn't answer all my questions and it took a bit of exploring to find them. Or maybe I'm just dumb but it's taken me like 2 wks to figure out the program basis....
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Because people don't take a second to THINK about what they are asking.

"OmG I had 4 grams more protein than my daily limit whats going to happen???"

What do they think is going to happen?? Weight gain? Extra head? Oh right, they didn't think at all, they just posted. It gets tiring.

I notice that most legit questions are answered politely and considerately and it's the dimmer people who get the negative responses.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and very reluctant to post my questions or look for "friends" on here because I don't know who's going to be an actual support and who is going to make fun.

Good observation!