I find this inconsiderate

Options

Replies

• gatecityradio
    Options
    It's what the search button is for, you must be new. All forums have this argument....
  • aphrogirl2002
    Options
    This website can be overwhelming initially and not everyone will instantly think about using the search function. If you don't feel compelled to respond to the person's question because you have seen it a number of times, then just ignore it. We need to work to keep MFP a positive weight loss tool. It is interesting that many folks here talk about the negativity they have experienced in society because of their weight, yet they are negative towards others. Let's practice the golden rule here and treat others the way we want to be treated!
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    In this day and age people don't think about searching on a web site? Really? Well the Internet is new, not many people can access it or know how to use it. I've heard of something called Google, what does that do?

Not using search is a lack of common sense of laziness. Why think for yourself and show initiative?
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Asking a question on here can be a way for people to find new friends,,
    eg. if if your a veggie and ask a veggie question you will get your answer from like minded people.
    There are so many new members looking for the same answers and thats usally how poeple meet
    up and friend each other.
    If we all just searched for our answers, yes we might get it but it would be lonely on here
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    This thread has been posted before dude
  • PinkOrangeYellow
    Options
    Agree!
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't mind answering the same question more than once. It's called manners.

It is considered good etiquette to use search prior to starting a thread on a lot of message boards but I don't see that as a reason to flame someone and don't expect people to search prior to posting. We live in an imperfect world and I am not a control freak. Or a moderator.

I stopped reading one thread yesterday, it was full of self righteous trolls.

Conversely, I see threads in one of my groups where the people have the patience of saints and always take the time to answer the same question over and over again. I know which threads I prefer reading.
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Also, if you did search and find an old thread then *shock horror* posted on it, you would be accused of necroposting.

You can't win.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    I don't mind answering the same question more than once. It's called manners.

It is considered good etiquette to use search prior to starting a thread on a lot of message boards but I don't see that as a reason to flame someone and don't expect people to search prior to posting. We live in an imperfect world and I am not a control freak. Or a moderator.

I stopped reading one thread yesterday, it was full of self righteous trolls.

Conversely, I see threads in one of my groups where the people have the patience of saints and always take the time to answer the same question over and over again. I know which threads I prefer reading.

And never miss an opportunity to prove how righteous you are.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    welcome to the internet....
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It is common on internet forums. The ratio of askers to answerers tends to be high and you have to ask is it unreasonable to expect people to look for existing discussions before asking the same question again ?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's baffling to me, because in order to complain within these "re-post" threads, these irritated members have to actually click on the titles (which usually disclose their purpose right away) and then read through the questions and THEN actually go to the trouble of typing out a snarky response.

It really is stupid. If the post doesn't apply to you or is uninteresting and repetitive to you, ignore it.

My thoughts exactly. You said it well.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The forum guidelines actually encourage repeat questions.
    We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once.

This. All other opinions are now invalid. :tongue:
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It's pretty rude, IMO, but its happening everywhere now! :grumble: :angry:
    We live in a time of keyboard warriors :laugh:
  • Treadmillmom1st
    Treadmillmom1st Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Well said. I see that on every forum I'm a member of.
    Not everyone knows how to use search engines to their full potential and look up previously discussed topics.
    Some internet users can be snobs.
  • mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    Amen, especially for those that are just starting to use MFP or a new website... Speaking from the truely challenged technical point of view!
    :)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I tend to ignore the repeated ad-nauseum threads, and I try not to post anything rude to anyone, but I can understand peoples' frustration with it. And it does happen on all kinds of forums as others have said, not just here. I think the thing that frustrates people is not the question itself but that someone just discovered this site and joined and is all gung-ho about their new "journey" but doesn't even want to take the time to put in a basic amount of effort and research to see if their question has been answered before. Yes, maybe the question was asked by a different person, but many times it's the EXACT question that will get the EXACT same responses often from the same members. Like the ubiquitous "Should I really eat back my exercise calories?" threads. Someone's been on the site for a day and they are already questioning the methodology of the site's weight loss calculations when they could have gotten all the info they needed with a quick forum search. But instead, they think it's just easier to post the question and have other people take their time to reply (which I realize is voluntary). I think it's that "easy way out" mentality that frustrates some of the folks on here. And a lot of the "newbies" sign up for MFP, post a dozen threads of redundant questions that caring MFP members take their valuable time to answer, and then are never seen again after 3 days.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Well said. I see that on every forum I'm a member of.
    Not everyone knows how to use search engines to their full potential and look up previously discussed topics.
    Some internet users can be snobs.

There's that. And there's also the annoying phenomenon of necroposting when someone *does* find a six month old topic when they search....

Realistically, there are a finite number of things that can be said or asked about weightloss and fitness. It would be a very, very quiet place without some of the regularly appearing topics. I don't see why people get so het up about it all.
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I bet I totally just did this and annoyed the crud out of someone by asking what NSV stands for. I didnt even think of using the search box, I am not particularly stupid either so it stands to reason that most people wouldnt think of it eaither, at least not initially.

NSV = Non Scale Victory
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Agree. If you don't like the question just pass it by..