Replies

• ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Exactly! It's really rude and makes new people not want to post. Some even leave the site because of it.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Completely agree!
    I have no idea why the people it bothers SO much can't just move on from the thread, instead of leaving their nasty comments.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's baffling to me, because in order to complain within these "re-post" threads, these irritated members have to actually click on the titles (which usually disclose their purpose right away) and then read through the questions and THEN actually go to the trouble of typing out a snarky response.

It really is stupid. If the post doesn't apply to you or is uninteresting and repetitive to you, ignore it.
  • alizah79
    alizah79 Posts: 11
    Options
    I personally wouldn't say it (and I'm not on the forum enough to see repeated threads keep coming up anyway), but I do sort of understand the frustration of people that post on here a lot and see the same questions over and over again. Although, I've never used the search function on this board, so if it's *kitten*, then I can't really blame the question posters at all.

Here's my argument for this, because I hear this a lot.
    We should not be expected to use the search option. The people who originally posted the questions got the benefit of a conversation - direct answers to their questions by real people. The new people could certainly look up those old questions, but then it would be answers to someone else's question, in effect making this a database instead of a community. New people should get the same joy of putting out a question and seeing responses by people that care.
    Old people should realize that the new people want that same experience and not expect them to just look up their old history.

Both your original post and argument against the search function for lack of interaction are dead-on and I never thought of it that way.

Plus I've noticed that there a lot of people here who may not be internet or forum savvy. This may be their first time ever being in a community like this based on a friend's reccomendation or search engine. Like everyone else said, ignore and move on if it's not the thread you want to participate in whether new or old. :)
  • KaylaPeterson24
    KaylaPeterson24 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree!! And it's very hard to find previous topics on the question you're asking because the search is terrible!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    They should really have an FAQ section dealing with questions like that.

ESPECIALLY the "should i eat my exercise calories back???" and the "how many calories should i eat???"
  • shayleeloves
    Options
    I agree. I would hate to see this place turn into the Nest/the Bump... I left those boards for a reason I'll tell ya that.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I agree. I would hate to see this place turn into the Nest/the Bump... I left those boards for a reason I'll tell ya that.

omg wht happened
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    OK, here's something that bothers me.
    These message boards are meant to be helpful to people on a journey to fitness. I have seen this happen countless times on here (and other weight loss boards, ie. weight watchers, ect.) Somebody will post a question that has been answered in the past. Some will answer it. But others will become annoyed or snarky - stating with great exasperation how this has been answered before, and "here we go AGAIN."
    Why must people do this? Not everybody started their journeys at the same time as said person. People who say that should perhaps move on to myfitnesspal for the over-evolved ego. (MFP-OEE.)
    Just my pet peeve for the day.
    Sorry if this has been posted before.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIC6HeLiJYjdFOKNrbXpf648jw52Xyy6PwraOd1IPwINT3Snl8
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I really resent the "that's what the search is for" crap. I didn't even know I could use a search feature. I assume most other new people don't either. I think the comments about needing the conversation, not just reading old posts, is absolutely right on. If it's old news to you...don't answer.
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't say it (and I'm not on the forum enough to see repeated threads keep coming up anyway), but I do sort of understand the frustration of people that post on here a lot and see the same questions over and over again. Although, I've never used the search function on this board, so if it's *kitten*, then I can't really blame the question posters at all.

We should not be expected to use the search option. The people who originally posted the questions got the benefit of a conversation - direct answers to their questions by real people. The new people could certainly look up those old questions, but then it would be answers to someone else's question, in effect making this a database instead of a community. New people should get the same joy of putting out a question and seeing responses by people that care.

Old people should realize that the new people want that same experience and not expect them to just look up their old history.

This! When I first joined I also asked an 'innocent' question and got some real snotty replies! Luckily I've since learnt to ignore it and just push ahead, because as you say, I'd like the opportunity of having my questions answered by real people too.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This one^

• Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree. Yes, some of the questions have been asked before. But since we all have different experiences, a different point of view could be brought up. I think if you dont like the question because it has been asked before, click to something else... Simple solution!!!

This...
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Because people don't take a second to THINK about what they are asking.

"OmG I had 4 grams more protein than my daily limit whats going to happen???"

What do they think is going to happen?? Weight gain? Extra head? Oh right, they didn't think at all, they just posted. It gets tiring.

I notice that most legit questions are answered politely and considerately and it's the dimmer people who get the negative responses.

Wow! I'm just seeing your enthusiastic positive helpful attitude all over the boards tonight! This is pretty much what the OP was talking about. There are quite a few 'bright' people who have posted messages and gotten 'dimmer answers' by negative unhelpful people. I agree with other posters...if you don't want to answer the question, MOVE ON and let the people who can and want to help do so!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    They should really have an FAQ section dealing with questions like that.

ESPECIALLY the "should i eat my exercise calories back???" and the "how many calories should i eat???"

Here you go:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

Stickies in the General Diet and Weight Loss Help section.
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    If it has been covered 10 times before, then WHY are you even looking at the topic? Those people can take a hike. IMHO
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's unnecessary. I can see how people would get annoyed with repeat threads, but no one is forcing them to respond much less with an unhelpful reply.

At the same time, when someone gets a reply that they don't agree with, they shouldn't be snarky to the person who took the time to post that reply either. I see this often as well.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Because people don't take a second to THINK about what they are asking.

"OmG I had 4 grams more protein than my daily limit whats going to happen???"

What do they think is going to happen?? Weight gain? Extra head? Oh right, they didn't think at all, they just posted. It gets tiring.

I notice that most legit questions are answered politely and considerately and it's the dimmer people who get the negative responses.

Wow! I'm just seeing your enthusiastic positive helpful attitude all over the boards tonight! This is pretty much what the OP was talking about. There are quite a few 'bright' people who have posted messages and gotten 'dimmer answers' by negative unhelpful people. I agree with other posters...if you don't want to answer the question, MOVE ON and let the people who can and want to help do so!

Don't hate.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I really resent the "that's what the search is for" crap. I didn't even know I could use a search feature. I assume most other new people don't either. I think the comments about needing the conversation, not just reading old posts, is absolutely right on. If it's old news to you...don't answer.

:heart: :flowerforyou: