This is a weight loss board

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Very dumb to only care about "weight loss" without regards to body composition.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like you're focusing your frustration on something other than weightloss right now. Just take a step back and breathe... if someone asks you if you're measuring its just to be supportive and to look at your success from another angle to avoid from getting discouraged.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's a fitness site.
    What ever that means to you. It's different for everyone.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options

Yep. myFITNESSpal. NOT myWEIGHTLOSSpal. Not everyone has weight to lose, but a lot of people want to be fit, trim and HEALTHY.
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options

^^^^^ What she said!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options

^^^^^ What she said!

^^^^^ What she said about what she said!
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    Sjeez.. who p'd in your cornflakes this morning? Chill a bit. Feel free to ignore advice you don't like, but no need for ranting when someone was probably trying to help you. :huh:
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    um, okay.

only reason it is good to check measurements is to see what KIND of weight you're losing. if you want to lose your muscle mass to "lose weight" be my guest. Personally, I'd like to minimize my muscle loss and increase my fat loss.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    this is actually NOT a weight loss board, its a FITNESS site.... for anyone looking to get and/or stay healthy.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    8 pages of everyone saying the same thing, except one person. Hmmmmm.
  • kctmw
    kctmw Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    General Diet and Weight Loss Help

What kind of job requires you to be unfit, but light? Professional pillow tester?

I have nothing to add except that this was HILARIOUS! Made me literally LOL. that is all...
  • bikechic61
    bikechic61 Posts: 39
    Options
    My reason for being here is to avoid the middle age spread (weight gain) that comes with a decrease in metabolic rate that is happening due to my advanced years on this planet.:ohwell:
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I can see the OP's point a little bit. My Dr. doesn't give a rats patootie about what my tape measure says, he cares about the scale.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com
    www.myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal
    fitnesspal
    fitness

Yes! :D

Also, you might gain weight on the scales from building muslce, so measurements are actually equally as good as going by the number on the scale.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Deb155lbs-300x286.jpg

I bet her body fat percentage is lower in the after picture, however, her weight is the same.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Who peed in your cereal this morning :grumble:
  • angie_sample
    angie_sample Posts: 190
    Options
    I would get extremely discouraged some months if all i cared about was the number on the scale. I just had my weigh in/measurements for the month last week. I was only down 2 pounds which make me feel like crap BUT then i look at my measurements and i've lost 6 inches, that seems like an accomplishment to me. Maybe insurance companies dont look at ur measurements but to keep myself motivated those inches lost tend to matter more than the pounds lost. Plus as long as im losing inches it means im losing body fat and will eventually hit my ideal body weight

Also one more thing.. my bmi is in the obese category still.. but my body fat % is in the overweight category. I have a lot of muscle so really bmi isnt the only thing to look at and not for the insurance company for yourself. Any time u see improvement in ur body, measurements, scale its all ways to measure ur success and be proud of yourself which will keep u motivated to keep going
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job, weight on the scale matters.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.

I work in the records office of a family practice, so I deal with this issue and insurance companies on a daily basis. While they do take your BMI into consideration, it is only ONE factor. In fact, it is very rare that they call me looking for a patient's most recent BMI. They invariably ask for most recent lipid levels, blood sugar, blood pressure, etc... They also read your office visit notes. If your doctor says you're healthy (inspite of what your BMI may be), they see that. However, if your BMI says you're obese, your lipid levels are through the roof, your BP is sky high, your blood sugar is too high, and your doctor says you've got health issues due to excess weight/obesity, then, yes, they're going to tell you to reduce your BMI/weight. BMI is based on your height, weight, and age. It is NOT the most accurate way to determine healthy weight. I think more and more healthcare providers are recognizing this fact, and I think it's only a matter of time before it is not used as a standard measurement anymore. Regardless of what the insurance company or the BMI charts say, the primary goal should always be to get HEALTHY. If you create healthy habits, the weightloss WILL happen, and it's not a matter of "if", but "when". It just takes longer for some people than for others. When people suggest for you to take measurements, they're just trying to show you that you are losing FAT, even if you're not losing POUNDS.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This site is versatile and it's not all about you. Grow up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Just and FYI to everyone who ask "Do you take other mearsurements." YES I Take other measurements, but those measurements don't mean anything if I am still overweight.
    I am here to LOSE weight...not inches, no cm, not improve my ability to do a standing broad jump...WEIGHTLOSS. When I complain about not losing any real weight...don't ask me if I have measured my hips.

Denise
    Well FYI, it's MYFITNESSPAL, not MYWEIGHTLOSSPAL. Just sayin'.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
This discussion has been closed.