This is a weight loss board

Options
Just and FYI to everyone who ask "Do you take other mearsurements." YES I Take other measurements, but those measurements don't mean anything if I am still overweight.
I am here to LOSE weight...not inches, no cm, not improve my ability to do a standing broad jump...WEIGHTLOSS. When I complain about not losing any real weight...don't ask me if I have measured my hips.

Denise

Replies

• trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that- BUT there is a point where the scale doesn't mean as much as we've all thought it does. I have been weight training for a full month now and have lost about 3 lbs.......... and 2 pants sizes. In a month. Sometimes, the numbers just do not mean that much to your body. I get what you're saying, but people are just trying to be helpful, and a lot of that comes from experience.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's not. This is a fitness website. Including weight management. Including people looking to gain weight.

Also, people assume "I want to lose weight" means "I want to be skinnier." These are not always the same thing, which is why "I'm not losing weight!" is generally met with, "Well, are you getting skinnier?"
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's a fitness site.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Just and FYI to everyone who ask "Do you take other mearsurements." YES I Take other measurements, but those measurements don't mean anything if I am still overweight.
    I am hear to LOSE weight...not inches, no cm, not improve my ability to do a standing broad jump...WEIGHTLOSS. When I complain about not losing any real weight...don't ask me if I have measured my hips.

Denise

First of all, you cant come on here complaining about discussions/comments made to you from the past, thats actually going against an MFP policy....

Secondly - yes.. Measurements are more accurate than a scale. People who suggest taking measurements are genuinely trying to help you see past the scale and to help you understand and realize that when the scale doesnt move, you may have lost inches.... To continue to obsess over the scale will only cause you to create cortisol - and cortisol causes weight gain.

When you gain that weight, it will be because you allowed yourself to stress over a piece of equipment that didnt show a numerical result - its not worth it... seriously.. its not worth it.

I agree with people who follow the "measuring tape-rule" because its more realistic and accurate.
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I am here to LOSE weight...not inches, no cm, not improve my ability to do a standing broad jump...WEIGHTLOSS. When I complain about not losing any real weight...don't ask me if I have measured my hips.

Denise

False. This is a fitness website. Hence the name - "my fitness pal". While scale weight is a big factor, there are other indicators of health besides weight.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com
    www.myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal
    fitnesspal
    fitness
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    MyFITNESSpal......
    I like to see the scale go down but sometimes it doesn't, for whatever reason, and saying tht loss isn't as good as a scale number is silly. Only you see the scale number everyone sees your inches!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job, weight on the scale matters.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    The ENTIRE site might be a fitness site but this board...is WEIGHTLOSS.

Perhaps its title should be changed to Weightloss and Body compesition Help?

But like I said....I do NOT care to be smaller if my BMI still screams obese. And if BMI doesn't matter tell me why it matters to insurance companies? Because when are you trying to get health insurance, or my case a job weight on the scale matter.
    Not Body Fat Percentage, not the size of my hips and waiste...BMI.

End rant.

When you figure out how to lose a lot of weight and still have the same measurements let me know how you did it.
  • ShioriSan
    ShioriSan Posts: 11
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com
    www.myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal.com
    myfitnesspal
    fitnesspal
    fitness

LMAO.

+10 internet points to you, good sir.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    General Diet and Weight Loss Help

What kind of job requires you to be unfit, but light? Professional pillow tester?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's a fitness site.

This.
  • MelL1205
    Options
    Ok, the board in particular you are talking about. Well, it's called "General Diet and Weight Loss Help". Notice that it does not SOLELY say "Weight Loss". And, just because you post a rant that you aren't losing weight fast enough... guess what... people are going to try to be SUPPORTIVE and give you other indicators that you are getting HEALTHY. They aren't just going to complain back at you and say "Losing weight is hard". Is that what you want to hear? Because it is. Deal with it.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

What kind of job requires you to be unfit, but light? Professional pillow tester?

Ooooo can I have that job?? I am ace at napping!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    The great thing about MFP is that you can do whatever YOU WANT! If you just want to care about pounds loss, than do it!

Taking measurements is just a good way to monitor your body. Your body will lose weight then take some time off to "shrink" to get ready for the next stage. You can only tell if you hit a plateau if you've taken measurements. All the data you can collect will just help you on your journey. Good Luck!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I would guess any job that bases their initial screenings on BMI?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MelL1205
    Options
    Do you know how much weight is in your legs? What about your arms? If you cut those off you couldn't eat that much anymore.
    What about your head?

:laugh: Perfect.
  • MelL1205
    Options

I would guess any job that bases their initial screenings on BMI?

I have news for you. If you start getting FIT (i.e., losing fat, gaining muscle).... guess what.... your weight will go down... then your BMI will go down! MAGIC!
  • ShioriSan
    ShioriSan Posts: 11
    Options

Haha. You need to stop, you're too funny.

Okay, back to the original poster's topic - pretty much everyone's saying the same thing, and I think you should take it to heart - this is a fitness site. Why would you want to be thin, but unhealthy? That's just... gross. And if you're going to put the time into getting thin, you might as well go for being healthy, too. It'll help you lose weight and keep it off, anyway - kill two birds with one stone. I don't see what the issue is.
This discussion has been closed.